Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Strippers - What to Use?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody ever heard of/tried castrol super clean degreaser? Before I kinda dwindled out of the hobby for a while it seemed to be great as far as dipping and soaking bodies over night. I know it works well for base clear, model master and the Boyd customs type paints as I had stripped those. But what some if the other 20plus year old paint was I have no idea as I received somebody's old collection and that was all I knew of it lol

It doesn't seem to be working all that well on model master lacquers, but it works great on urethane and acrylics.

Give it time, it will work, try sanding a lilttle bit before, I use 91% to strip MM lacquer all the time, and it has worked all the time, just the time it takes does vary a little bit

Sounds good, usually when I have to strip them its because I totally screwed up the clearcoat, I was amazed at how good it worked on urethanes! I'll have to remember that the next time I drop a hood on the floor :(

Edited by eizzle

• 2 months later...

Here in germany, I use Methoxypropanol PM (also known as Dowanol) for paint stripping. http://www.kremer-pigmente.com/de/product.html?info=7124

I don't know if you get it in US, but it works really easy. I do the painted plastic parts in a box, do a bit of Dowanol on the bottom of the box, pull the cover on it and after an hour, the paint is completely removed.

Guest G Holding

Just tried a "new" idea from an old timer...Acetone and water. YES I said acetone and water. Mix 2 oz water to 1 pint acetone. If you do not add water the acetone will melt plastic! Immerse , let sit 10 minutes and with a pair of nitril gloves use a stiff brush to flush the surface and watch the paint slide off. This works on all paints, and both resin and styrene .

Guest G Holding

Here in germany, I use Methoxypropanol PM (also known as Dowanol) for paint stripping. http://www.kremer-pigmente.com/de/product.html?info=7124

I don't know if you get it in US, but it works really easy. I do the painted plastic parts in a box, do a bit of Dowanol on the bottom of the box, pull the cover on it and after an hour, the paint is completely removed.

No not available.....but was priced at $120.00 US for 1 ml....10 ml bottle was $600.00

• 1 month later...

A new discovery for me .... As usual , more by accident then design . I sat a painted body , Testors enamel & clear , just for a moment , in Bleche White to strip the wax off it .

Yep ! Forgot about it , went about painting the other prepped bodies that day . Went down to the shop the next morning , remembered the body , opened the container , whoops , body was stripped . The paint sloughed off , simply by drawing a finger down the side of the body .

Lesson learned , just have to re prep and re paint the body . Now I know , Bleche White acts as a paint stripper also !

• 4 weeks later...

Im not sure if this was already posted but if anybody else has access to glycol ether DPM it seems to be the chemical in dot3 that works to strip the paint I work in a chemical/aerosol plant and not only can I get the raw material but I can extract it from the dot3 as well. It works wonderfully. There is a company called lab supply that as far as I can tell anybody can order small amounts of almost any chemical. Now don't order certain combos cause obviously the fbi and or home land will be banging on your door. I hope this helps you guys out. OH IF YOU DO GET ANY TYPE OF GLYCOL ETHER WEAR GLOVES AND KEEP YOUR PEEPERS COVERED AS WELL certain types can realy mess you up

Nice idea, I like the clear look to see the progress. I have a non clear tub but can do up to 3 at a time. That sounds bad , but when inspiration strikes and zero planning is involved it comes in handy. Some can relate. But I might have to find a clear tub, I like that . Thanks

Hey James.... here is a tub I bought at walmart that I use for the purple pond...but using an old display case works great too.

DP-Army-Vega1223-1.jpg

DP-Army-Vega1225-1.jpg

lol I use the exact same tub basically purchased at the Dollar General for a buck. Then went to Walmart and got Purple Power (Walmarts brand of Super Clean) for $5 and filled the tub up. Purple pond for $6 lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest G Holding

Just tried a "new" idea from an old timer...Acetone and water. YES I said acetone and water. Mix 2 oz water to 1 pint acetone. If you do not add water the acetone will melt plastic! Immerse , let sit 10 minutes and with a pair of nitril gloves use a stiff brush to flush the surface and watch the paint slide off. This works on all paints, and both resin and styrene .

Bill you are a genius !! this removed everything, including primer / filler

I was using brake fluid with good results. Mostly because I could get used fluid for free, but I recently tried Simple Green concentrate with equal or better results. The plus side is it doesn't irritate your skin, and smells much better. It also seems to work safely on other types of plastic. I've experimented on some action figures, Lego and a few other things. Brake fluid did a number on some of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried removing some lacquer paint from an old body project of mine. I used DOT4 brake fluid, with 50% success. There is still a lot of excess paint regardless of how hard I scrub. Any other suggestions? Also what could I use to remove Testors enamel?

Edited by Raskoraz