Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Barracuda/ 68 Hemi Dart Chassis

FASTBACK340

In my Barracuda build thread Billy Geary had asked about test-fitting the Revell 68 Hemi Dart chassis under the old MPC Barracuda. The verdict? You'll need a saw, knife, sandpaper, putty, clamps, epoxy, etc…..

It appears the resin copy of the old MPC 68 Barracuda is nicely cast. It's just that the Barracuda is probably 1/27th. scale (to fit in the box….) and it's a bit smaller in every dimension compared to the new Revell Dart tool.

The Dart & Barracuda are both A bodies, but the Dart is visibly larger.

post-222-0-14743900-1388718636_thumb.jpg

The wheelbase is longer too on the Dart

post-222-0-50601700-1388718729_thumb.jpg

And the width!

post-222-0-73757900-1388718776_thumb.jpg

I might use it when I decide to tackle the full-tilt build, but it's going to take some slicing & dicing. I still have to try the AMT Duster kit next. Maybe it requires less surgery…. But the level of detail is not even in the same realm compared to the original!

post-222-0-86895000-1388718982_thumb.jpg

The Duster would have the same wheelbase in 1:1 (108 in)...the Dart has a 111 inch wheelbase..

I've thought about doing this same conversion to build a '68 Hemi Cuda using one of MPC Cudas I have.. since the Cuda chassis is pretty minimal, I'd rather use something w/ more detail.

thanks for the comparison, this is really helpful. I am trading for a few of the duster chassis to do this conversion. I have an old resin 68 cuda conversion from DENCON (lookout) that I will be using, just don't know if I want to do it "as delivered" or a full racer?

Actually it's not that hard of a conversion to do .

I have this one on the shelf to do a 1968 Hemi Cuda Mule car ,,someday

If I remember right , I cut it right in ft of the rear spring hanger torque boxes and took maybe an 1/8"-3/16" out of it . Then narrowed it behind the rear wheel wells

Mule-Cuda2_zps02ff5ef2.jpg

Mule-Cuda1_zpsda7f0070.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

I used the chassis from the Duster on a 69 Barracuda an it fit GREAT! it is a WHOLE different world in the difference it makes from the stock molded in everything chassis. Are you guys sayin that the old MPC 67/69 Barracuda kits are NOT 1/25th scale? This is the FIRST i've ever heard of it.

Bandit Resins has a nice 68 Super Stock Barracuda kit with body, bumpers, grille rear valance panel, hood, hood scoop, glass, nice chassis and engine bay, interior tub, Bostrom seats...all you need to do a Super Stock Hemi Barracuda except for front subframe, engine, drive train and wheels.

I bought one on ebay some time ago.

68_cuda_kit.jpg

Otherwise I would also use the AMT 71 Plymouth Duster chassis, it's a better fit than the Revell Dart.

Edited by Force

Bandit Resins has a nice 68 Super Stock Barracuda kit with body, bumpers, grille rear valance panel, hood, hood scoop, glass, nice chassis and engine bay, interior tub, Bostrom seats...all you need to do a Super Stock Hemi Barracuda except for front subframe, engine, drive train and wheels.

I bought one on ebay some time ago.

68_cuda_kit.jpg

Otherwise I would also use the AMT 71 Plymouth Duster chassis, it's a better fit than the Revell Dart.

That's a `67 rear valance pictured. 1968 Barracuda's don't have the reverse lights on either side of the license plate….. and it's hard to see, but are there side marker lights? Might be a `67 casting all together…..

As for the scale, the width of the MPC `Cuda is way narrower than the newly tooled Dart kit. I'll have to grab the tape measure and go out in the garage. ;)

As for the Duster chassis, when I run across that kit (where ever it is….) I'll test-fit.

Edited by FASTBACK340

Actually it's not that hard of a conversion to do .

I have this one on the shelf to do a 1968 Hemi Cuda Mule car ,,someday

If I remember right , I cut it right in ft of the rear spring hanger torque boxes and took maybe an 1/8"-3/16" out of it . Then narrowed it behind the rear wheel wells

Mule-Cuda2_zps02ff5ef2.jpg

Mule-Cuda1_zpsda7f0070.jpg

Technically….. time to split hairs. B)

The `68 Dart chassis is in-correct for the Hemi Barracuda "Mule" car. The mule was based on a `67, which has the single strap gas tank.

Mopar geeks…. we suck. :P

Technically….. time to split hairs. B)

The `68 Dart chassis is in-correct for the Hemi Barracuda "Mule" car. The mule was based on a `67, which has the single strap gas tank.

Mopar geeks…. we suck. :P

I was going to mention that exactly ; that the mule Hemi Barracuda was a based on a 1967 Formula-S 383 that was kickin' back in the Woodward Garage . It had '68 grilles ; not sure if the rear fascia was cosmetically-modified or not.

I heard that the mule went to Sox & Martin . It'd be "easy" to authenticate , as '67 was the last year for the VIN to be mounted to the lower A-Pillar in the doorjamb .

That's a `67 rear valance pictured. 1968 Barracuda's don't have the reverse lights on either side of the license plate….. and it's hard to see, but are there side marker lights? Might be a `67 casting all together…..

As for the scale, the width of the MPC `Cuda is way narrower than the newly tooled Dart kit. I'll have to grab the tape measure and go out in the garage. ;)

As for the Duster chassis, when I run across that kit (where ever it is….) I'll test-fit.

I hadn't looked that closely.

Well the valance panel is an easy fix, just sand off the incorrect reverse lights and you're done...the body has the round side marker lights and correct rear panel/tail lights for 68 with the reverse lights going around the red tail lights.

It might not be perfect but an original MPC 68 Barracuda is hard to find for reasonable prices, and it's better starting point than the 69.

Sorry, but having had my car apart and re-assembling it gives me a certain familiarity that can be annoying…. I know how hard `68 annuals are to find on the cheap. I also know how many kits/resin pieces are incorrectly labeled as a 1968, when they are actually another year. The Judy Lilly Barracuda kit comes to mind. Every one I've seen has a `68 on the box, a `69 in the box. I know the differences, and …again, I can be a PIA about it.

I'm a Cuda-Geek….. -_-