Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lowrider Roof Pattern tutorial

A few people have been asking about how to do this so I figured a tutorial would be helpful to explain it. The starting point will be Revell's 60' Impala kit and it will be getting a candy orange and red pattern on the roof.

Materials used:

Tamiya tape cut into narrow strips

Kustom Shop Kandy Red, Kandy Orange, Lava Red Pearl, and Brilliant Silver Metallic

Wadded up rubber glove for the textured sections

Nason Select Clear 2K Urethane

Here the body has been base coated with pearl white and the roof masked off in preparation for the silver base that will be used for the candy.

101953232_zpsde325c29.jpg

Now spray the roof with a silver or gold base of your choice. (I used Brilliant Silver Metallic from Kustom Shop)

101953235_zps011c304a.jpg

Once that dries you can start the taping process. Start by finding the center line and then lay out a design. I prefer to start in the middle and work my way to the outer edges.

101953236_zps4a0d1229.jpg

101953237_zps5c86bdb5.jpg

101953238_zpsdb32d909.jpg

Edited by BKcustoms

Now we’re ready to add some color. Mask off the first section with a low tack tape so you don’t pull off your lines when you unmask it and then spray some color. I used Lava Red Pearl with kandy red sprayed along the edges.
101953239_zps64ac8ab1.jpg
Here it is unmasked. Make sure you wait until the paint is completely dry before you mask for the next color.
101953240_zpsbfd1782d.jpg
Here I’ve masked for the next section. This will have a candy red marble effect. To do this spray a very wet coat of candy paint and press a wadded up rubber glove into it. You can also spray a coat of candy over it to make it darker.
101953241_zpsce4dd5b7.jpg
101953244_zps410a5901.jpg
Now it’s time to do a fade in the area on the back of the roof. Just mask the area and spray some color around the edge of the tape.
101953245_zpsda3cec71.jpg

Now we’ll move to the front of the roof and do a “sunrise” effect. It’s actually pretty simple, just stick a piece of tape at an angle from the center of the section to the outside edge and spray along its edge. Rotate the tape and repeat until you’ve made it all the way around.
101953247_zpsb5ea6d24.jpg
101953248_zps494890ba.jpg
For the stripes that run down the roof I sprayed a fade from red to orange candy. I prefer to start with the lighter color for this but it’ll work either way.
101953249_zps61380d66.jpg
Now for the outside edges I did another marble effect in orange and sprayed an orange fade along the edge of the roof. (For some reason the pictures of this step have disappeared from my camera)
101953250_zps65209ccd.jpg
Now for the fun part! Unmask it and see what you’ve got! (this picture was actually taken after 4 coats of clear were applied)
CAM00361_zpsbe7e4835.jpg

Billy,

Awesome paintwork, especially on this scale of cars...Reminds me of what I have done on 1:1 cars in the past..

Would like to try something on this scale but I would have to finish a model first , lol -- before I got into something like that.. My builds

seam to go a lot slower than I would like.. But I am not in any hurry...

Great tutorial and again ---- awesome paint work.....

Tom :D :D

Thanks guys!! I'm glad this was helpful. Now to answer some of the questions, This whole thing took around 4 hours from when I started taping to the last coat of clear. I'm using fast drying urethanes so I only have to wait 5-10 minutes between colors, dry times will be different with different paints. I'll add a list of materials to the first post.

• 2 weeks later...