Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sinkhole at Corvette Museum swallows 8 cars

Very sad. Too bad some members here have to add insult to injury. I wonder what caused this.

I really don't think you have much wiggle room on calling guys out on that Lee. As for what caused it Bowling Green is full of caves, I can almost guarantee that there was one directly under the museum.

I'm wondering if they are going to try to retrieve those cars, and fix them? The '62 doesn't look to bad.

Agree John!

If that was me, I'd be getting the rest of those Vette's (not in the sinkhole) out of there....like NOW!

Don't want to see anymore carnage.... :blink:

Edited by Helix

Not a chevy fan, or for that matter a corvette fan. Its sad that, that happened. But I could care less. Maybe they could dig one of the plastic toys up and i could through it in the purple tub, clean off the paint, put some bondo on it paint and reglue it. They will be alright and ready to go again. (LOL&ROTF) :D

Im not a GM fan or a Corvette fan either..But when I was younger I was and have been there twice....I really dislike the DD Vette that you see all the the time...But these cars are now where near your old mans Vette.....The 09 ZR1 prototype is 1 of 1...The 93 ZR1 is1 of 1.... The 62 Vette was a one owner car....I like the rare stuff alot more than the stuff mass produced...Im sure they will repair these vehicles cause you will never see one again..... As for the 83,that is the only one that is left of a 44 run that year....Only one that wasnt detstroyed...

If you click on the link and scroll to the bottom pics,its gives a lil history behind each car.....I will go back after everything is fixed..

https://plus.google.com/photos/104141664400556036641/albums/5979568634002499569?banner=pwa

Just what do you mean by that Austin???? In light of this tragedy, I feel the rude comments on Corvettes are uncalled for. I have no love for most Porsches, and Lamborghini's, or Ferraris either, and I would not thin of making insults if this were any of them.

All that I'm trying to say is its a little hypocritical to insult someone for a slight remark when you fill threads with them all the time. Any other questions (Or complaints) you can shoot me a PM.

As for the Vettes I could care less about 'em, easily one of the most over hyped GM vehicles ever made next to the '69 Camaro, but I can still see the massive amount of damage that has occurred. Also the sinkhole does make me feel like GM my have cut some corners on building the museum. I'm no architect but common sense when building a extremely expensive building filled with millions of $$ of cars you would at least check underground with a sonar or something to make sure you were not on top of a cave.

I am a Corvette owner...it is a fun car to drive...I like Fords and Dodges and Hondas as well...heck I like darn near anything with wheels. This is a bummer for sure but no loss of puny humans. So that is good.

I also have a sense of humor....I got it from here...

post-13258-0-35753200-1392255392_thumb.j

it would not surprise me if the whole building could be condemned and unsafe due to the sink hole and ground it sits on. My aunt lived about 10 miles away when she was alive. My brother said you could see sink holes in fields and pastures all the way to the Fort Knox area. Some have trees growing up thru the sink holes they are so old..

it would not surprise me if the whole building could be condemned and unsafe due to the sink hole and ground it sits on. My aunt lived about 10 miles away when she was alive. My brother said you could see sink holes in fields and pastures all the way to the Fort Knox area. Some have trees growing up thru the sink holes they are so old..

Would not surprise me. If I were head of the place I would already be looking for a good safe place to rebuild. Now the hard part is going to be finding a good area for it, it's current location right of the interstate is a great place for it tourism wise,nature wise not so much. Remember when they got hit by a tornado a few years back?