Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Imperial

Mopar - D

This is a JoHan promo that I'm going to replace the front and rear grill and bumpers with new ones from Modelhas. I'm going to leave it a curb side. I going with a Charcoal Gray metallic and black interior I've BMF to the logos I will just clean the paint off with a tooth pick. Here's what I'm starting with. Your comments are welcome.

75cb08d5598fb7bfe3ac687a60272ac0.jpg

adf3613a25059a7154b36ac4dbdc37d1.jpg

I've never heard of black as a sealer? Most people I know use gray primer-light coat of silver paint-primer-finish coat. I'll be interested to see how this works for you.

The only thing I'd do different is a dark blue or burgundy interior- I think they'd look great with the dark gray.

Charlie Larkin

This is a JoHan promo that I'm going to replace the front and rear grill and bumpers with new ones from Modelhas. I'm going to leave it a curb side. I going with a Charcoal Gray metallic and black interior I've BMF to the logos I will just clean the paint off with a tooth pick. Here's what I'm starting with. Your comments are welcome.

75cb08d5598fb7bfe3ac687a60272ac0.jpg

adf3613a25059a7154b36ac4dbdc37d1.jpg

Dan,

Can I make a suggestion? Trim the Bare Matal Foil closer to the scripts so that the seams do not show up in your paint work. When I did the Imperial convertible conversion, I used Duplicolor Gray Sandable Primer, which sealed out the Dark Blue Plastic that my promo was moulded in, without a lot of buildup, as those emblems are quite delicate. Test the paint on the bottom of the interior tub before you do the body, so that you can see the color you end up with.

2006_0218mymodelsfeb060016.jpg

This one started as a beat up, cracked up promo with busted windshield pillars. I have a '68 Turbine Bronze/Black Crown Coupe that is slated for restoration, to bookend with the convertible.

The Charcoal Gray Color you are going to do is going to be stellar.

Can I make a suggestion? Trim the Bare Matal Foil closer to the scripts so that the seams do not show up in your paint work.

Times two! You need to trim your BMF as if you were doing final BMF on the script. That's around all the edges cleanly. The concept of BMFing pre-paint and buffing through to it, is that your paint will fill in the spaces in the script letters. It will not hide the edges like you have on the body right now.

Thanks for the tips / suggestions I trimmed the BMF before I sprayed the primer. I've painted the front grill still need to do the back I had to double check the back grill to see what color to use but from my reference pictures it will be red with black around the outer edge of it. By the way if anyone is interested there is a 68 - 4 door LaBaron with 32k on eBay buy it now for $22,800 and from the pictures it looks like it should be on the show room floor. Great pictures for getting the details for my build.

62b285ef92d689f08713ff481189c73f.jpg

6e4f2aa789e171bbe0618184e6de416a.jpg

7ecd1f9172c905f83e0d6e2eb1f9a15d.jpg

39330670bc695afae95fe0449623e718.jpg