Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

Cien1986

For those who don't want to splurge for things like a factory service manual, these two reference books cannot be beat. They're reasonably priced and complement each other beautifully, and provide 90% of what you need to know to build an authentic 300 SL:

BEST OVERALL FOR DETAIL AND PAINT/INTERIOR FINISHING:

Mercedes-Benz 300 SL by Dennis Adler, full color and overall amazing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-300SL-BY-DENNIS-ADLER-/261467291897?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3ce0aa40f9

BEST FOR FACTORY DETAIL, CONSTRUCTION, DIAGRAMS (all black & white):

Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwings and Roadsters 1954-1964

Ludvigsen Library Series / Karl Ludvigsen

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=mercedes+300sl+Dennis+Adler+book&_sop=10&_osacat=267&_from=R2&_armrs=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmercedes+300sl+Ludvigsen+book&_nkw=mercedes+300sl+Ludvigsen+book&_sacat=267

Edited by sjordan2

Tonight iam glueing all the window chrome part.. and the windows clear part...

its mess... i cant really handle it well...

i glue the clear part first to the chrome part then the combine part to the body's window slot..

the chrome part need to press when glueing because of the parts abit bent

this makes the super glue run to my finger when pressing it and the glue stick abit to clear part..

dissaster...

so next i try diffrent method... i fix the chrome part first to body.. then fix the windshield...

but what happen.... the windshield need to pressd too to the body... its also not fix real well...

No luck....

Did you actually put the seals around the uprights on the bumper? I've never seen another modeler do that.

That's the green mat reflecting in the Alclad.

EDIT: That's not what you mean Skip-I see it now. It may be molded into the bumper.

Edited by Cato

That's the green mat reflecting in the Alclad.

EDIT: That's not what you mean Skip-I see it now. It may be molded into the bumper.

Nope, it's not molded onto the kit bumper. I've got the same kit right beside me to refer to. I'll have to either find a shot in my files or scan one.

EDIT: It's the line (seal)where the upright portion (not present on all Gullwings) is attached to the horizontal bumper. The seal is on both sides; I'm guessing that it's only there for cosmetic reasons to hide the gap.

Picture73_zpsd4b62cfd.png

Edited by sjordan2

PS: as long as you're into painting, I would point out that everything on the inside of the body shell should be matte black - except for the visible exterior parts of the wheel wells behind the wheels, which should be body color.

Also, if you're going to spend this much time and effort on making this great, I seriously hope you're going to fix the fender body seams, especially between the headlights and the grille.

Further, if you're going to work on making an accurate engine set-up, I can send you correct art that you can make decals or stickers for the cam cover, water tank and oil tank.

Edited by sjordan2

PS: as long as you're into painting, I would point out that everything on the inside of the body shell should be matte black - except for the visible exterior parts of the wheel wells behind the wheels, which should be body color.

Also, if you're going to spend this much time and effort on making this great, I seriously hope you're going to fix the fender body seams, especially between the headlights and the grille.

Further, if you're going to work on making an accurate engine set-up, I can send you correct art that you can make decals or stickers for the cam cover, water tank and oil tank.

I finnish it on black matt... just waiting to fix it....

Actually i am interested on detailing the engine... but i never print decal myself....

Will normal inkjet printer be able to print the decal?

Edited by Cien1986

My inkjet printer works just fine, and it's a simple HP Photosmart, nothing fancy. You'll have to print out the artwork to the proper scale. You might want to add a bit of sharpness.

[url=http://s827.photobucket.com/user/sjordan47/media/Mercedes%20300%20SL/Picture74_zpsc7398266.png.html]Picture74_zpsc7398266.png[/

The only ones you can see on the kit are:

Cam cover --"Attention! Achtung!" and "Caution"

Water tank --"Attention! High Pressure Cooling System" with "Important! Use cover with No. '80' only" just under it.

Oil tank -- "Oil Level" (FYI, if you're wondering where the dipstick should be, it's attached inside the oil tank cap.)

Refer to Gullwing engine photos, not roadster, for placement. These are all the same scale; you'll need to print them out so Achtung! is about 1/4" wide.

Edited by sjordan2