Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Storage

slusher

Guys I have a stash of paint I keep in the closet in my model room to keep it at a controlled temperature. I don't have a garage and if I put it in the cabinet on the carport it will be exposed to heat but not sunlight. Do any other builders keep paint in the house I am talking about spray cans???

I have all of mine in a file cabinet in my room in the house. until last week I had no problems. at 6:00 am one morning the spray nozzle on a can of off brand silver paint, blew off spraying paint all over the bottom drawer of the cabinet. It had a cap on it, but blew it right off. Took 2 days to air out the house. Needless to say, the Mrs wasn't happy. At least it was contained to the file cabinet, and didn't get all over the room. Can't say that I've ever seen this happen before. Hope it never happens again.

I keep all my paint in cans and bottles. :P

It's where to keep the cans and bottles that gets problematic. :(

I used to keep it all in the garage, but I've recently lost a few cans of hobby lacquers to heat-induced resin boil-off through the can seams. Gotta re-think storage.

I keep mine in a old body shop style vented cabinet that my local jobber was tossing out. I keep all of my urethane hardeners is the refrigerator, as it extends it's life!!! I have had some that has sat for up to a year and is as good as the day I opened it. Bring it to room temperature before mixing.

I have all of mine in a file cabinet in my room in the house. until last week I had no problems. at 6:00 am one morning the spray nozzle on a can of off brand silver paint, blew off spraying paint all over the bottom drawer of the cabinet. It had a cap on it, but blew it right off. Took 2 days to air out the house. Needless to say, the Mrs wasn't happy. At least it was contained to the file cabinet, and didn't get all over the room. Can't say that I've ever seen this happen before. Hope it never happens again.

Makes you wonder if it was defective...

Now we know why they're referred to as "spray bombs" :lol:

David G.