Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

tool I've been waiting for arrived today finally.  here's the top of the intake done except for a few machining marks I have to remove yet.  Next I'll make the plate that bolts to the lower portion of the intake and affix the top that you see in these pics.  Then the throttle body.   cheers, tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Revised Intake 027

Henry J Twin Turbo Revised Intake 033

Henry J Twin Turbo Revised Intake 039

Thanks Henry,Scott and Joe.........I waited what seemed forever for the tool and once I got this part done, couldn't help myself.  Had some ideas on how to do the throttle body and couldn't wait to see if they would work out.  The tolerances are down to just thousandths of an inch with what you're seeing here. I consider this a more than worthy replacement for the intake on the engine now.  The hardest part will most likely be the removal and fitment of the new one.  Tomorrow is the Mecum auction in Harrisburg with my 6 year old daughter.....no bench time for me.  Cheers guys.  Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Throttle Body 006

Henry J Twin Turbo Throttle Body 025

Henry J Twin Turbo Throttle Body 030

Thank you fellas.  Chris, when will we see some more of the funny btw?   Well, today I machined the puke tank.  Dual inlets from the engine, one drain on the back end, roof top vent AND what I really liked making was the "glass" oil level tube on the side of the tank......yeah baby!!   This think sits on TOP of a penny it's that small.  You can see how tight it is in the cage too.  Getting so much closer to a final back end mock-up after I finish up a few small things on my new intake.  Cheers, Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Puke Tank 011

Henry J Twin Turbo Puke Tank 037Henry J Twin Turbo Puke Tank 020

Edited by Codi

Tim... your work is Flawless!!! That puke tank is gorgeous and turned out great. You know in the glass sight you should add some clear orange with a touch of brown added to make it look like there is a little oil in there. I have to tell you that I was on Sherlines website today, making a list of goodies that I would like to get from them and seeing which lathe and end mill that I was really wanting to go with.  I am hoping to maybe get to the bench on the funny car possibly later tonight (no promises) or even tomorrow. I am debating about debuting a project that I have been planning out. here shortly. It will be a fun one for sure....lol

Clayton, thank you sir.....that's quite the compliment.

Chris, that's great news...be sure to get the rotary table, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and the tilting table among the tools you'll be ordering.  Must haves!   My mill was a 5400DRO setup in metric as you know.  Get the collet sets too that allow for a bit more precision in your machining.  Whatever you spend on your mill, be willing and prepared to spend all most as much on various tools and endmills to get you going.  Starretts "last word" is a must have a setup tool as well.  I could go on, but you have your own ideas I'm sure.  Thanks for your note on Henry too!

Yeah Henry, that pic got my attention as I'm  going to have to prep a list on how to assemble the entire thing so that I can be sure to access other pieces I'll have to install.  Avoid painting myself into a corner as they say.

Eric, I've been spending some time considering what color to paint it and I think I have a good idea so that it looks realistic, cool and complimentary to the rest of the metal work that won't be painted.   Thanks!

Art, been too long.  Glad you checked it out and I've been keeping my eyes open for more on your sprinter.    soon I hope!  cheers to everyone, Tim

Small update on the intake. The brass butterfly is made and there are 30 small bolts (cosmetic, not actual screws) on the top plate / portion of the manifold.  The entire intake is a smidgen over 1".  The small lip that the bolts are affixed to is only 1.15mm wide.  I've done some mock-up visuals with the engine itself (pretty sharp I think) and now it comes down to removing the old one (not sure how to get that off since I used CA glue) without damaging anything else.  The throttle body needs drilled for the butterfly shaft and a few small details added.  Next pics will be of the intake ON the engine.  (assuming all goes well)  Cheers, Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Revised Intake 5 041

Henry J Twin Turbo Revised Intake 5 038

I got a visual of you at the lathe knocking out all of those nut/bolt bits. That's determination.

Doesn't WalMart sell CA remover? If not, try nail polish remover. I heard that on Two and a Half Men. Something about something stuck to something on Charlie by Rose..........

Hey, got the TV installed and did the main desk lighting today.

Thanks again guys.  Michael, no, I like the contrast of the brass and alum. on the bolts.  John, thank you for the note......that's the highest compliment a builder could receive in my opinion.   Greatly appreciated.

So, got the intake off and the new one sitting on top.  Nothing lined up per se and a few details to address AND lousy pics (better ones later) BUT I was so pleased with how this turned out I just had to share.  Comments welcome.   Cheers to each of you!  Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo NEW INTAKE 010

Henry J Twin Turbo NEW INTAKE 031

Henry J Twin Turbo NEW INTAKE 033