Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

I haven't been able to check in for a while on these forums as I've been so busy lately. Now I'm really glad that I could see these latest updates - the engine is looking fantastic! Super nice detail work and it looks like you could fire it up any minute. Gas tank looks very good too... Keep the pics coming!

unfortunately john, it's not a copy of a sheetmetal manifold.

it's billet because it has way more precision designed into it than could ever be achieved in a sheetmetal manifold.

the question was posed to you to please explain how, if a plane  needs all those rivets to hold it's sheet metal body together (like a sheetmetal manifold needs more bolts). why does a blower still require only 8 bolts to hold it to a sheetmetal blower manifold?

as far as answering my own question...........i didn't. while i know the answer, i was curious if you did.

Because a blower manifold is a lot thicker, just like a regular intake manifold. I should have compare a oil pan rather than an airframe. But a thicker airframe requires less hardware than a thinner frame. Besides, a sheet metal intake is never actually sheet metal. It's considered plate at those thicknesses, and I have never seen a top plenum as thick as a lower plenum, unless they are welded together. 

Codi"s intake looks like a sheet metal intake to me. I don't see why someone would make that out of a solid stock when a welded unit would work, considering the contours are not too complex to make out of sheet. I would have that welded up before it could be programmed. But please, feel free to enlighten me. I'm always the student.

Oh. I see what the issue is. 10thumbs asked why so many bolts, which is what my response was to, not you. I didn't even notice your pic of Mogan's motor you posted until now, and thought you were referring to Codi's intake this whole time. You are right, Mogan's system is too complicated to be made out of sheet. And I am right, that Codi's intake represents a sheet metal intake.

Edited by John Clutch

Thank you John for the update and clarification.  And yes, timing is everything.  I read your edit & I respect what you  posted and acknowledged.  Did you read my response to your earlier question btw?   Cheers, Tim

Today I did the valve cover breather "vent" tubes that have hoses that I'll route either through the frame rails or tubes from the valve covers.  Either way the tubes end at the puke tank. It took me almost 3 hours to make these little buggers. The base of each is a MCGarage small header flange that I thinned & drilled out and dropped in T2M bolts. The bent tubes themselves scale out at 1.15mm (not quite 1 1/4")  they started as R & B Motion A/N fittings that I cut down and everything was super glued with Devon 2 part epoxy.  The small (1.0mm in length) fitting on each of the bent tubes is polished 1.4mm stainless steel tube. I want to thank Dave (comp1839) for the photos he sent of several current design options before I got started on these, it was a big help.  The pic I took was as close to the engine as I could get and have it not be blurry and still the show the detail of the two "vent" tubes. Cheers, Tim

Henry J Twin Turbo Valve Cover Breather Outlets 008

Thanks Brent...something more to smile about Scott and Mike...a simple thank you! Here's some pics of the completed tunnel, the components that are getting squeezed into the interior and a quick mock-up of them installed. I did discover that my fire bottles are too tight next to the 1 intercooler pipe. I'll adjust that before I move onto the funny cage. As I figured, it is t-i-g-h-t in the interior. But it'll work. Cheers, Tim

nryJTwinTurboInteriorMockUp032-vi.jpg

nryJTwinTurboInteriorMockUp039-vi.jpg

nryJTwinTurboInteriorMockUp065-vi.jpg

Nothing short of amazing, Codi. The Charger Im working on will have intercoolers straddling the radiator, where as the x275 Camaro will have the cooler in the interior. Very, very nice. Im surprised I missed this !

Edited by John Clutch

Tim: I've been off-line with health issues which have benched my own modeling for a while. Being a kit basher, there isn't much I've been able to take from your artwork or from Mooneyez's Stardust, but the last I was on here both of you were creating astounding pieces. Besides the changes in the board, it's gonna take up a lot of time catching up to your work as well. Now that I can start work again, I've chosen the re-issue Chi-town as a close to possible build, but detailing it greatly in the ignition, fuel and slicks department. The other piece is creating a blown pro-mod out of a Glidden p/s with Lenco push button shifting and modern blower with all the ignition and fuel system tricks, along with a hand made pro cage.

Keep up the crazy great work! You inspire a lot of people at all levels!

Codi......I have been busy lately with a new build and other personal issues......I have been looking at your work off and on for awhile......and it`s time I need to tell you how AWESOME your work is.......it`s truly amazing how clean and accurate your work is.......this is my favorite build of all time.....I just love it!!!!!........looking forward to your next up-date

John, thanks for the thought.

Mitch, I hope your health issues are behind you and we see what you're working on soon.  The kit and parts you've chosen sound like you have the "vision" of the car already figured out. 

John, thank you sir.  Having spoken to Joe the other day,  I really must make plans at some point to make it the GSL show or somewhere in your "neighborhood" so I can meet the West Coast posse.  (get it, stagecoach build, cowboy theme.......oh never mind)  :rolleyes:   Glad you're still following along too!   

Cheers, Tim

Thank you Cesar and Bob.  Always fun to see others from other countries following along. 

Been working on the shock sensors.  These have been tedious to do as the space to locate them is virtually non-existent.  I wanted to make them realistic so I've added the sensing cables as well. Anyways, here's the left side done and one more bracket to solder up for the right.  Cheers, Tim        (just noticed I started this thread 1 year ago as of yesterday.........)

Henry J Twin Turbo Shock Sensors 007

Henry J Twin Turbo Shock Sensors 014

Edited by Codi

That was fast John, I was just posting that when you must have jumped on-line.....anyways, greatly appreciated my friend I assure you.   Now I'm going to jump over to look for more stagecoach updates from you!!!!!   Cheers

Tim my friend, you may have started this a year ago but you haven't let any dust collect on it. Another amazing update.

So anyways, this shock sensor walks into a bar and the bartender says, "What can I get you?" So, the shock sensor says.......nothing, 'cuz shock sensors only sense stuff. They don't talk and they sure as a hot place don't walk into bars.

Dude, ya' gotta' give me better material to work with.