Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mine's R34 Skyline

geetee66

I built this as a departure from my usual vintage iron.

boxart_zps5796060f.jpg

I picked it up cheap in Singapore after a day-long search of the city for a model shop that sold something other than RC or military kits.

My previous build was a 59 Caddy, with tons of chrome, so I thought it was going to be a quick blast, being kerbside.

But the carbon fibre decals were a real trial, the kit decals were also some of the most fragile I've ever used. The large decals for the door broke up, despite my extreme care. I had to leave it alone for a few weeks, as I was getting too angry about it...

However, apart from the Revell 49 Merc I built a few years ago, this is one of the newest-tooling kits I've built. The fit and condition of the parts was excellent and required minimal cleanup. It has functional steering and suspension.

The brake rotors were bright chrome, but a rotational rub with very fine grit polishing cloth gave them a much more realistic appearance.

I added red buttons to the steering-wheel (Gran Turismo 5 was quite good source material!)

IMG_5648_zps5a6bef91.jpg

Apart from that, it's totally box stock.

The engine and exhaust are moulded-in. I used silly putty to mask the surrounding bodywork while I sprayed on the silver:

The tyres are the best I've seen on a kit. I used a 10x lens and could read the size on the tyre wall!

IMG_5644_zps51838e1f.jpg

Paint is from rattle-cans, polished, buffed and waxed

IMG_7519_zps5464507d.jpg

IMG_7508_zps96f72d50.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by geetee66

• 2 months later...