Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volvo kits?

Other than the Tamiya Volvo 850 and a couple of big rigs, have any other Volvo kits been done? I know not the flashiest cars out there, but the 140 / 240 are iconic cars (1966-74 / 1974-93), and were even involved in a bit of racing. Many of their less refrigerator like cars were (are) quite a bit more stylish, Amazon, 1800, and 164 for example. The current cars styling and performance stands up fairly well to the sport sedans from Audi, BMW and Mercedes which all seem to get their fair share of kits.

Wouldn't expect to see them from the US makers, but maybe one of the Japanese or European kit makers?

Kind of odd the only kits were of some of their less successful vehicles. The 740/760 didn't even make to the end of production of the car it was supposed to replace (240 ended production a year after the 740 / 760 did).

Never seen the promos, looks like some variation in scale but looks like quite a few of the classics were covered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stahlberg_Models

The closest you'll get to a really good P1800 is the resin kit that I have from Airtrax. Yeah, we REALLY could use a full detail glue kit of this car--------I once owned a 1:1 '65.

Here's a few pics of the resin------some cleanup is needed but the shape of the body is a quite well done representation of the car.

P6212337-vi.jpg

P6212339-vi.jpg

More can be seen here...........

BTW, that Palmer kit isn't half bad! With some work (maybe more than some would like), it can be made into a decent model. ;)

The promos were made in Finland by the Stahlberg company.

Check this link for pics and info http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/mini-ccs-1960s-1980s-stahlberg-volvo-dealer-promos-three-boxes-are-good/

Those look like the promos I remember see at the local Volvo dealer back in the day. In some ways, I kind of regret not owning their early 70's 164.

As for the Palmer kit. For a Palmer kit it doesn't look to bad. But it doesn't look too good either. Never had that particular kit. So I have to depend on Bill's opinion on it.

Scott

I too would like to have a couple P1800's to try some ideas on, the Palmer kit looks like their other kits... an artists interpretation of a photo turned into a model kit without resolving dimensions changed for proper perspective viewing.

IMHO a kit that would best be used for customizing ideas rather than a proper factory stock looking Volvo.