Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

I like the caps on the back more so than the front. It almost gives the illusion that the rear wheels aren't as wide as they are. But I'm sure it'll look good (or rather "bad" :D) either way you go with it, great work with the engine too Jason.

Nice paint Christian, looking good.

Hmm. I agree. It's very tough to disguise the depth difference of the front to rear wheels. Maybe make the front ones as thin as possible and thicken the rear?

As pictured, they work very well on the rears, but in the front they just don't fit well. I tried sanding one flat but it doesn't make much of a difference. At this point I'm not sure which direction to go, I could put them on all the way around, just use them on the rears and weather the fronts, or leave them off all together and just weather all of the wheels.

Maybe a bit wider wheels on front would work better? Now it looks like those rear wheels are pretty much wider than fronts so it would be possible to install a bit wider wheels on front too?

It looks good without those as well, though.

Is it ok if I change my entry to a rebuild of my gto from last years build

I don't see why not, but even if you convert the outside to a base model Tempest or something, it's still not much of a sleeper.

Hmmmm good point I think I might look at some other options

An update, as I reach the home stretch, I've made a lot of progress. I accurately routed the spark plug wires and added boots, I made looms out of some coke can aluminum, finally mixed a good looking Holley green for the carbs, and I'm currently scratch building a fuel rail and throttle linkage I know the fuel rail wouldn't mount on the choke linkage but I decided it would be easier and stronger to mount the rails there than in the bowls. With the air cleaner on it you can't see where it mounts so it should work out pretty good. I substituted the crappy looking front struts for a handmade better looking set, I wrapped up the interior with a scratchbuilt shifter and boot as well as adding some seat belts. I've got the chassis about finished too. The undercarriage is about done, I wanted it clean like the car had been comp-lately redone, to break up all of the black I included a beefy sway bar, and moroso coil overs. Next I'll scratchbuild a fuel pump and run fuel line. All in all, I'm very happy with how my first beater/sleeper is turning out, I will look into some pigments and other cheap weathering techniques to try to improve the body and add more to the effect. For now, I should have it finished up in the next couples weeks.

Edit* it looks like there's a mold line I missed on the rear shocks, I'll pull them back out and fix that.

post-11129-0-88315200-1427081813_thumb.j

post-11129-0-48467200-1427081830_thumb.j

post-11129-0-83263900-1427081853_thumb.j

post-11129-0-31298400-1427081891_thumb.j

post-11129-0-48904600-1427081914_thumb.j

post-11129-0-14814800-1427081939_thumb.j

post-11129-0-29120700-1427082875_thumb.j

post-11129-0-37235500-1427082912_thumb.j

Edited by Dragfreak

ohaaa.....coool stuff going on here! I think, my bug is the...hmmm...still stock looking...entry - but leightweight and fast B)

I have some progress done.

The paintjob and bmf is done...

CIMG150216_010.jpg

The interieur complete...

CIMG150216_007.jpg

and the engine is wired and completed linkage, throttle,...

CIMG150322_007.jpg

Next was glued the wheels on and installed the engine. just a teaser with body on to take a look, what must be done next time:

CIMG150322_014.jpg

That all racers :)