Model Cars Magazine Forum

CO2 / Nitrogen for tank for airbrushing

I have a Co2 setup. Powered by a tank (30#) I got from the local Coca Cola distributer. Cost of tank and regulator about $130.00.

I've switched back to a SENCO compressor/tank combo. Pretty quiet and with an external regulator it works just as well for me. Again, about $130.00 or the whole rig.

I carry a small nitrogen tank in my work van. It holds 3000psi. I'm not sure you can airbrush straight from the tank. I wouldn't trust my Nitrogen regulator to go that low and be accurate. Maybe get a nitrogen tank and then a portable air tank with a regulator for airbrush pressure.

I exchange tanks at plumbing and a/c supply stores. Not all stores offer this. As for where to get one, check with places like Airgas. If you don't want to lease a tank, search Craigslist in the Tools category.

About 500-600 psi is standard I believe. Normally when I trade my old tank for a refill, 600 psi is about the max I've seen.

Kevin how long is the life expectancy on a bottle with 600 PSI set at about 15 PSI ? I would think Nitrogen would be a better way to go, If you have a good regulator. Although regulator diaphrams can go bad just sitting from non use. However storing the regulator indoors, when not using, and just using it when painting might help.

I use a 5 gallon Craftsman portable air tank and it will get me through a paint job. Something bigger would be better except for taking up more room but 5 gallons gets me by. For filling it I use a "tire inflator" type pump (which also comes in handy for inflating tires, go figure) to pump it up to maybe 90 psi. If it starts getting low, it's very easy to pressure up.

Stick with CO2. Nitrogen tanks are filled to a much higher pressure (something like 3000 psi), so if you knock it over and break off the neck, the tank is going through your wall, your car, your shed, your neighbors house, etc.

Even a CO2 tank, if knocked over and the regulator broken off of it makes for a pretty deadly rocket/torpedo! At a McDonald's where I was a manager 35 yrs ago, there was a large patch in the reinforced concrete basement wall, where a CO2 bottle (50lb size) fell over, lost it's regulator, and proceeded to punch itself right through the wall.

Solution? If using CO2 or any other highly compressed gas, CHAIN the bottle securely in an upright position, so that it cannot fall over.

Art

Kevin how long is the life expectancy on a bottle with 600 PSI set at about 15 PSI ? I would think Nitrogen would be a better way to go, If you have a good regulator. Although regulator diaphrams can go bad just sitting from non use. However storing the regulator indoors, when not using, and just using it when painting might help.

Quite a long time, but of course that depends on frequency and duration of use. I tend to spray a lot (one of my favorite hobby chores), and my refills generally last a year to a year and a half. I've read that 800 psi is about maxed out, but I don't recall ever seeing mine that high.

Quite a long time, but of course that depends on frequency and duration of use. I tend to spray a lot (one of my favorite hobby chores), and my refills generally last a year to a year and a half. I've read that 800 psi is about maxed out, but I don't recall ever seeing mine that high.

How long also depends on tank size. I think the most common tanks are 5 pound and 20 pound, but they have other sizes too. A 5 pound won't last nearly as long as a 20 pound, but a 20 pound CO2 tank is a pretty big boy...heavy too. So when you decide what to get, figure in the trouble you'd have storing it and taking it for refills.