Model Cars Magazine Forum

40' Ford "TESTOSTAROSSA"

DeeCee

It will be interesting to see how you include other systems into this concept like cooling system and exhaust exit from the body shell.This would be a really noisy interior as well for all occupants.Will there be some seperation between the cockpit and engine compartment?I will be watching this build as it progresses.Thanks for sharing.

There is some nice work there Dale. Those rears are very close to the chassis ;)

Thanks mate, the wheels are just sitting there loosely at the moment, i think ( hope) they will clear better when finished.

It will be interesting to see how you include other systems into this concept like cooling system and exhaust exit from the body shell.This would be a really noisy interior as well for all occupants.Will there be some seperation between the cockpit and engine compartment?I will be watching this build as it progresses.Thanks for sharing.

It will be interesting, glad i have plenty of time to sort out all these questions, but i think a separation barrier inside is the go, as for the rest, i will be doing quite a bit of google search to see what i can come up with.

Thanks too Carl and Ira. :)

Edited by DeeCee

I did a mid engine sedan delivery a few decades ago.I put a Chevy 454 amidship in a '54 Chevy sedan delivery.I added a small airscoop to the side of the body to feed air to the hungry beasts twin carbs.I modified an air cleaner to collect that air and direct it to the engine.You might want to consider the same thing.I also converted the front engine bay into a spare tire and tire tool storage area.

I did a mid engine sedan delivery a few decades ago.I put a Chevy 454 amidship in a '54 Chevy sedan delivery.I added a small airscoop to the side of the body to feed air to the hungry beasts twin carbs.I modified an air cleaner to collect that air and direct it to the engine.You might want to consider the same thing.I also converted the front engine bay into a spare tire and tire tool storage area.

Have thought of that, but as it is a sleeper build i might have to put a scoop in the roof, i did a Combi with a cosworth v8 a few years ago, and that had side scoop ,

but would be to noticeable on this themed build. The engine bay will prob become a fuel cell on this one. Will keep scratching the head though, thanks for the input too.

40' Ford "TESTOSTAROSSA " My sleeperball build.

I am NO automotive engineer, or suspension guru, this really did my head in for a while, but, i think i finally kicked its butt.!!

As there is no room in the rear for all the correct Ferrari suspension, i decided to bang a solid axle through the trans-axle, and suspend the engine, so to speak.
Then made to links to the axle housing, and 2 links to the engine, with "hydraulically controlled coil overs" so to speak, which are given pressure from the A/C unit, now the engine acts like suspension at the rear,
and has a pivot point incorporated into the front engine mounts. Sounds complicated, good, i am hopeing to baffle you with brilliance, while feeding you B/S.!
40%20Ford%20suspension%20done%20004_zps2
40%20Ford%20suspension%20done%20003_zpsq
40%20Ford%20suspension%20done%20002_zpsc
And for the front, i have used the A-arms from the Ferrari kit, slightly modified, and instead of putting the shocks in the conventional position,
i took a bit of an idea i have seen on open wheel race cars, the shocks are now mounted inboard, and would be electrically actuated of course, just like F1 used to have a few years ago. ( more baffling B/S )
If any of this would work, great, if not, well, its only a model, and it LOOKS convincing. :)
40%20Ford%20suspension%20done%20001_zps5
40%20Ford%20suspension%20done%20005_zpsu
And now, the stance is spot on. !!
40%20Ford%20suspension%20done%20006_zpsn
Edited by DeeCee

DeeCee, what kit is it your using for ferrari parts? I like those front shock assemblies, would like thos for a 39 Ford build I have going!!!!

Cheers guys, Kerry, it is a Tamiya Testarossa kit, a pic of it in post #1 mate.

Very cool and interesting idea and great work. I think you've discovered the formula for one of the most expensive street rods of all time! :lol:

Thanks, i fugure, there is no point in doing things by halves, especially if your trying to hide horsepower. :rolleyes:

Cheers guys, Kerry, it is a Tamiya Testarossa kit, a pic of it in post #1 mate.

Thanks, i fugure, there is no point in doing things by halves, especially if your trying to hide horsepower. :rolleyes:

Yeah Dale, I had a duh moment. Went back and looked and saw it.... Part Timers settin' in early I guess!!!! LOL, thanks a ton!!!!

I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but looking at the suspension set up, I can make no sense of it what so ever. Other than that I love the idea and can't wait to see it finished. I am a big fan of Ferrari power in hot rods.

I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but looking at the suspension set up, I can make no sense of it what so ever. Other than that I love the idea and can't wait to see it finished. I am a big fan of Ferrari power in hot rods.

It makes sense to me, the rear is like a basic diff set up, 2 upper and 2 lower arms going to the housing, only suspending the engine, instead of the diff, and the front is a bit F1-ish, open wheeler design from years ago, weather it would work or not, i really don't know, or really care that much, it looks right to me, and many others, like i said, i am not an automotive engineer or anything that requires a degree in anything, i'm just havin fun mate.

It is what it is.

You have the rear lower A-arms on top in the front, which would make turning next to impossible. There is no visible clue to how are the wheels steering and the entire suspension is not connected anywhere to the shocks. The rear set up is just plain impossible in real life. You have the engine bolted to the frame and then a rear axle is solid but has half leaf springs attached to it and no shocks. It is also unrealistically thick.

I am not an engineer either, but it is just common sense. I really don't get some builders on here too, who one day flame somebody for having "floating" alternator on their model and the next day comment how this chassis looks fine.

Now, please don't take this the wrong way. I am not trying to put your work down. I enjoy it and love your idea. I am just trying to figure out what are you trying to do. Because if you were building a fenderless early '30s rod I would understand the challenge with the front suspension and even the rear suspension challenge. But you are building a full fendered rod with big fenders that have plenty of space to fit any suspension set up on earth. So adapting the Testarossa's suspension would have been easy, straight forward and very realistic as it would be 100% doable in real life. The rear would've been more complicated but still doable.

I learned a lot on this site and on contest and shows exchanging info and tips with other collectors. I have made a million mistakes and I would have not known if somebody did not point them out to me. And that is all I am trying to do. This is what we are here for, right?

I tried adapting the testarossa rear suspension, but the rear of the car would need to be 1/2 inch wider each side, no room, as the engine almost touches the wheels, and yes, there are no shocks YET, this is a 12 month build, i am trying to work through it though. And yes , there are blatantly obvious muck-ups, and there are mistakes which only a couple of people will ever notice, and the builder quite often did not even know about, we are not all experts, but we do want to try something different, and ENJOY doing something different.

Edited by DeeCee

Next job was a cooling system and fuel cell.

Made a good sized radiator from about 10 various bits and pieces, mounted it and plumbed it, added a pair of thermo fans aswell.

001%202_zpstih4neif.jpg

And had to mod a fuel cell to fit between the rear rails, as it sat way too high.

customs%20002_zpsuucf3blq.jpg

customs%20003_zpsbm22ji6e.jpg

Sliced out the sides and started the shaping process.

customs%20004_zpsltqhk8ko.jpg

customs%20007_zps24dxie9h.jpg

Sits in there a lot better now.

customs%20008_zpsaar0fxu1.jpg

• 5 months later...

It's been 6 months since i touched this build, but i am now back into it.

I hit it with some Red Acrylic today, i was going to leave it in primer for the sleeper build,

but i just could not do it, i had to paint it.

Stance is perfect i think.. :)