Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Surf Rat Wagon

Jairus

Well, I suppose V is going to drag me back into modeling with this little project. Secretly, I have been wanting some reason - any reason, to do a Rat Rod and so... here I am. Joining you nuts building yet another dust catcher.

The inspiration for this project is this image I pulled off the Internet many years ago and the source of the title: "Surf Rat Wagon".

surfratinspiration-vi.jpg

The car is of course a 1963 Ford Country Squire. A project that I started working on many years ago but languishes in a box like many other unfinished projects. However, because the cut off is 1962.... and the fact that it is not a new project makes this a verboten entry.... the search continued through the shelves here in the Watson studio. That was until I re-descovered something that I had been saving for just such an emergency! The resin 1958 Ford Country Sedan is.... rough to say the least. Will need lots of modification and fixing were I to try to make this a replica stock. A little modification if it were a Hot Rod... BUT, slap a little paint on it and we have a great SURF RAT ROD!! MUUUUAHAAHAHAHAHAH... (cough) ahhahahahaha....

P1010032-vi.jpg

A 1958 Edsel kit gives up it's frame, floor, suspension, inner fenderwells and lots of little bits too numerous to mention....

P1010031-vi.jpg

A proper hot rod needs a good engine that exudes testosterone through at least 8 zoomy pipes... right? So a nice mint Revell Parts Pak Ford big block becomes immortal....

P1010030-vi.jpg

So... that is it.

Well, so far anyway.

Think I need a good illustration to get me going. Right?

:lol:

Edited by Jairus

Jairus-

Yes, an illustration is imperative. We NEED to see it. (OK.... maybe just me). I'd love to see the whole photo of the 63 too.

I'll definitely be watching this one.

I still need to send you a photo of the 60 Starliner that is "languishing in a box" in my hobby room. I'll try to get on that this week.

Keep us posted on the progress on this one.

Later-

I can only spend a couple of hours each evening on it. So I have to work smart and plan everything out carefully! Last night I assembled the front and rear suspension. Then determined where the chassis needs to be shortened. Wagons were on shorter wheelbases than the sedans in 1958. I have determined that 3/16" needs to come out of the center and 1/8" to 3/16" out of the rear for the Edsel donor chassis to fit correctly. Later I'll post some pictures. For now I gotta get to work! B)

Maybe you could get Brad Leisure to do up a sketch of where you're going with this ... :)

And you are now on my ignore list.... :huh:

Jair, a 58 Squire is gonna be COOL!!! What color ya plannin for it? Do you gotta open up the hood on that rascal or does it already open? looks like ya got the right idea,gonna look good to see it come along! :lol::huh:

George, never said I was going to do a Squire... but it is always in the back of my mind, however that would take another 4 or 5 days to sand and then replace the pretty-nice chrome trim with wood panels. As for opening up the hood, that is a requirement of this contest. That a detailed engine and underside be present. No curbside! So... I believe this baby will completely lose it's hood for a real "hot rod sans hood look"!

The Country Sedan for the uninitiated is a stationwagon with NO wood decals on the side.

958_Ford_Country_Station_Wagon-vi.jpg

The Country Squire did have the wood on the sides.

7506874-vi.jpg

I have not decided one way or another... but rest assured, this will have at least one mis-matched door from one or the other car! B)

Edited by Jairus

Roland, yes!

Short story is that engineering cost money so divisions in Ford, Mercury and Lincoln would share parts to avoid the repetitive costs of developing the same piece. That is why the 1967 Mustang has the same firewall and front window glass as a 1967 Fairlane.

The 1958 Edsel is pretty much the same under the skin as a 1958 Ford!

Well, the dinner dishes are put away so time to get busy before Survivor starts. LOL :rolleyes:

I cut out the hood with a dremel.

It was cast in place and thus fulfilling the rules of this contest.... an engine has to be in place and fully detailed... ;)

(But Harry, what about those poor souls who do not have a dremel... OMG!)

P1010036-vi.jpg

But... what are those ribs doing on the roof?

1959 Ford wagons had a ribbed roof that were recessed but not so the '58!

'58 "long-roof's" were supposed to be smooth as the '57 so... off they go....

P1010035-vi.jpg

There, that is much better!

P1010039-vi.jpg

Now the chassis pan is shortened and the frame cut to fit.... this is fun!

P1010040-vi.jpg

;)

Edited by Jairus

Jairus-

This is looking good. I like the alterations you are doing. This makes me want to dig out my 62 Bel Air wagon that is languishing in a box in my hobby room. This style is what I have been looking for since the style that was "IN" when I started it is now long gone.(Thankfully)

I'll be keeping an eye on your build to see how it turns out. Lastly, I still need to send you a photo of my 60 Starliner.

Later-

Okay... decided to spend all morning working on this project. Sooo... here is what I did last night.

The fuel tank and spare tire positions are different between a sedan and a wagon. So... the fuel tank is cut out of a '57 Revell Ranchero/Country Squire floor pan.

1957 and 1957 Wagons and Ranchero share many stampings including the floor pan.

P1010049-vi.jpg

Sharp eyes will note that I already removed the Edsel tank and tire well. They are saved for some other project and go into the scrap box.

P1010050-vi.jpg

Incidentally, did some research this morning and found out that the wagon is a casting of "Product Miniature Co." (PMC) model. Still do not remember the caster tho.... I remember him as a standard at our local NNL here in Portland. He's a big gruff guy and most of his stuff is pretty good. He doesn't make any of his own masters, just casts other bodies such as old toys and or Promos. He's not a big name company, but simply travels up and down the west coast plying his wares at shows and NNL's. In the beginning I remember a lot of the modelers ragging on him for doing slush casts... but that was only in the beginning. This body came from a two piece mold and only has a couple of tiny air bubbles. It is a nice piece if a little thick. Maybe some of the members of this forum who are also SABA members can come up with his name... :angry:

P1010032-vi.jpg

The all important stance mock-up! Not too bad... not too low and pretty natural looking I believe. Easy chassis to work with even if a little warped from pulling it out of the molds too soon... :P

The front spindles were flipped over to drop the nose over the wheels, rears are stock.

P1010054-vi.jpg

This image should drive my inspiration for the rest of the build. Now to play with the interior panels which are ripped off the Revell Ranchero kit BTW.

P1010051-vi.jpg

It took two sessions to get the interior panels to fit correctly. With luck, I should be able to now paint and attach them to the floor as one piece. Then insert the whole assemble into the body for a tight and smooth fit. Should fit anyway.

P1010055-vi.jpg

Interior panels are from Revell Ranchero, dash from AMT '57 Sedan. Front seat Revell Ranchero while the split rear is made up from parts box seat with modifications using evergreen plastic. The stationwagon had a unique rear seat and I felt that it would be too cheap to just toss in a sedan seat and call it good.

Right?

This is my inspiration, along with a few other images I have saved away.

newport07surfwagonrtrear-vi.jpg

:D

Jairus!!!!

I am loving this build. I am not a big fan of the '58's, but the '57 is on my to do list. I have one of All American's '57 Country Squires. Of course you know I am not going to make a "rattie" out of it, but it is not going to be a Replica Stock, as I have a pretty nice collection of HOK paints, so an intense color will not be a problem. One of these days...