Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Revell VW Bus (Photos Restored)

I was getting a bit burned-out with the Chevy Proton I've been working on, so I decided to take a break by building the VW Bus kit that I bought for my wife a few months ago.

As we all know by now, there were no pedals included in the kit, so here's my quick and dirty solution.

VWBus_12_01.jpg.f2792ab17ee08cb13e4ba43b6ca9db35.jpg

Basic interior, nothing fancy. I frequently need to remind myself that I'm keeping things simple. This is supposed to be a "vacation" build :)

VWBus_12_02.jpg.8a04d3f916d81072e9c40c867543451f.jpg

Ok, so I did use a bit of styrene and some Krome Foil to make an ashtray for the seatback. I've also already fixed the thin spot in the flocking on the rear cargo floor.

VWBus_12_03.jpg.165f16535b058819c689b7b96cd99640.jpg

The chassis is mostly done. Next, the body.

VWBus_12_04.jpg.6608d92ad80d124c5f9c09909cc12a51.jpg

As always, any and all comments, critiques, observations, etc. are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

There can never be enough buses! I see it is one of the Hasegawa's judging from the wheels. Maybe I can get mine done this century.

Good to see you got the shocks in nicely. For some reason these are making me crazy ... think I just need a sticker glue to make them stay ,,, or, maybe it's a 1/8 scale bus for my fat fingers I need!

Anyway, yours is looking good so far. :)

I'm building one, too...had to scratch the pedals, and also did a park brake handle. I also added an angled piece for the front floor, as it is not flat on the 1:1.

Nice build so far. Colours are good, and I like the way you've painted up the wheels and hubcaps. I'm sure your wife will love it!

Edited by Tony T

There can never be enough buses! I see it is one of the Hasegawa's judging from the wheels. Maybe I can get mine done this century.

Good to see you got the shocks in nicely. For some reason these are making me crazy ... think I just need a sticker glue to make them stay ,,, or, maybe it's a 1/8 scale bus for my fat fingers I need!

Anyway, yours is looking good so far. :D

Foxer,

Thanks for the link to your conversion version. I remember seeing that shortly after I picked up the kit and I was very impressed by what I saw- there's a lot more work in your build than mine. I'm surprised to hear that you can work with those itty-bitty parking lights but have trouble with the shocks. :lol:

From what others have posted about the kit, it's a watered-down Revell re-release of the Hasegawa kit.

Thanks,

David G.

I'm building one, too...had to scratch the pedals, and also did a park brake handle. I also added an angled piece for the front floor, as it is not flat on the 1:1.

Nice build so far. Colours are good, and I like the way you've painted up the wheels and hubcaps. I'm sure your wife will love it!

Tony,

That's what I forgot! I was trying to remember what they looked like inside so I could work out why there were so many holes in the floorboard. There's still time to add one. However, I'm not going to worry about the toe-board. With a flat black floor, I doubt that most folks will even see the pedals once the body's snapped on.

I've been following your build too and have picked up a few ideas from you (like the brake handle). But I'm going to try not to go nuts on this one. It's supposed to be a break from that nuclear powered car I've been working on. So I'm trying to keep it a mostly "out of the box" build, but we all know how that usually works out. :lol:

Thanks,

David G.

If I remember right, there are two or three more busses currently being featured on this forum. I think it's funny that so many of us started seem to have started building them around the same time. It's not like they're '57 Chevys or anything!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
  • David G. changed the title to Another Revell VW Bus (Photos Restored)

Well, here we are again! This should be the last time I have to rescue this topic from the PhotoBucket Monster.

I've gone in and reedited the old photos to hopefully make them a bit more eye friendly and uploaded them to the topic once again.

Regards,

David G.