Model Cars Magazine Forum

I wonder if someone was to rub it with an ultra-fine steel wool, would that help the shine? I always thought just burnishing down the foil after trimming helps bring out some shine. Also, make sure you have the Chrome foil, not the dull aluminum stuff.

Try applying and burnishing down the BMF. Use an extra wide piece. Before cutting off the extra polish the BMF with a metal polish such as Semichrome, Wenol or even Tamiya blue cap using Q-Tips and cotton balls. Keep the polish from getting on the paint.

Try applying and burnishing down the BMF. Use an extra wide piece. Before cutting off the extra polish the BMF with a metal polish such as Semichrome, Wenol or even Tamiya blue cap using Q-Tips and cotton balls. Keep the polish from getting on the paint.

That is what I was wondering. Thanks for the replies. I still got some race glaze aluminum polish I used on the 59 Belair 4 door (1:1)I built for my dad. Best stuff ever. Cleaned the stainless and chrome right up.

i got another question

is there special foil you can buy from a hobby shop with glue already on it or can you just use any tin foil and just put glue on it yourself?

are there any videos of the whole process?

you can its BMF, not just any tin foil if youre trying that method the rule of thumb is the more generic it is the better. the stuff im using is just like bmf when it comes to flexibility and blade wear and tear. not yet dont have the capabilities of doing that.

On the general subject of getting this stuff to work...

I decided to try the MicroScale adhesive and kitchen foil on my GTO. For my first time really foiling, I'm rather happy with how it came out. Not perfect, but I think it'll get better.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the stuff to go around wheel lip moldings? That was the worst part by far.

Charlie Larkin

You polish BMF just like you do paint. It buffs out beautifully. Don't worry about the appearance on the sheet, you must buff it with a bit of the same compound you use for your paint. It buffs out to a beautiful chrome-like shine. So many people seem to think BMF is applied and left alone. Take your time to carefully burnish and trim, then polish it out. Contrary to what some will tell you, it does not need to be sealed with clear, clear will not make it any more shiny or reflective, and your foil will not fall off the model if it isn't clearcoated. If you consider yourself a top expert with your painting and clearcoating it might work fine...but if you feel even slightly like you aren't yet an expert with clear, or have a track record of having to remove/repair paint after clearcoating, don't waste your time with foiling beforehand. It's simply not necessary. You can buff out the foil before removing it from the backing sheet and/or after it is applied.

You don't need any special polishing tools, just the same soft cloth and compound you use for your paint. I guarantee if you try it you will like it. One word of warning; the oxidized metal turns your cloth black as it buffs out the foil. This is normal. You'll have to get all the compound residue off, and if it is a light color of paint you'll need to be slightly careful of not staining the paint...but it comes right off.