Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod Tractor Nose Bonus Levels

Here's how the Farmall nose I built for the second Scratchbuilding School column in MCM 154 (right after Darrin Bastedo's killer how-to on opening vents) appears today...

bonuslevel2-vi.jpg

It's perched atop a Ford Courier chassis, and stands in front of a Ford 352. I'm not sure if it will stay here, or if I'll peel it off and use it on some other project. It was painted in Harvester Red (what else?), and given a nice coating of rust and crust.

The fenders I used were the Custom parts found in AMT's '53 Effie Trophy Series kit. They are '55-'57 GM stepside fenders with '57 Corvette taillamps frenched into them. The fenders found in AMT/Ertl's '55 and '57 Chevy Stepside kits are a bit blockier, and can't work to make a 'near replica' stock Farmall nose because of this, but they are still usable as Farmall fodder. They're flatter in front than the eariler castings from the '53, and when joined together are quite a bit wider, but can still be used to pull off a pretty decent tractor grille. Like this...

bonuslevel002-vi.jpg

This example was actually started before the grille shown in the article. Because of the magic of print media, I made the grille in the article last summer, and you are seeing it now in print- this grille predates the one shown in the artilce by about half a year, and I just finished it up tonight. This one's been made to look like a modified Farmall nose - and the bottom was treated in BMF for that (you guessed it) bare-metal look. A bit of patina (provided by sanding through the green primer to the brown primer and burgundy plastic beneath, then covered in Rustall) crowns the top, and the foiled area was polished out.

But, here's a new twist I've been working on. What about the OTHER set of fenders in that '53 kit? Or, for that matter, any old set of fenders you might have laying around?

bonuslevel4-vi.jpg

Here is the result of giving the stock Ford fenders the same treatment as shown in the article. At first, I thought it would make a pretty cool track nose, and I still might go that way with it. But, as I got to looking, I noticed it could also be used as the tail to a midget, or other early race car with a similar body. But what I think I'm going to try is this- rework this hunk of repurposed styrene into a Hudson Terraplane nose. Another popular 'rat' and 'hardcore' rod treatment. You know...like THIS...

nterraplanegrille_310259695439-vi.jpg

This is a '37 version, other years varied in detail, but they all looked cool! Take a look at those old fenders rattling around in your parts stash, and see if you can make something out of 'em!

unlocked_brainwashing_complete-vi.png

Another little side project I did today. This isn't the F-100 fender-based shell shown earlier, but rather, this was made from the rear fenders from an MPC/AMT '53 Ford Flip Nose. Probably don't need to point out they are quite similar to the pieces found in the earlier (and much better, IMHO) Trophy Series kit. :D

On this, I added a few extra details, mainly a front-mounted electric fan, with a silver drybrush to help it show up against the modified Model A radiator-

zzzz002-vi.jpg

I used real, live, 1:1 window screen for the grille. The bent piece wasn't intentional, but I liked the way it looked, so I chose not to fix it-

zzzz003-vi.jpg

I also added a flange to the back, a surface where the hood and hood sides would attach. This was made from thin styrene sheet, which was cut to fit, then drilled, and a relief cut was made in the top to clear the still-AWOL radiator filler neck/cap.

zzzz004-vi.jpg

This does not depict any particlular 1:1 tractor or auto shell, just something I threw together for fun.

• 11 years later...

The problem is, the thread is 11 years old and something has happened to OP's Fotki links or the albums they were hosted in since it was created.

That's not to say something can't go wrong with photos in a current thread, but OP would have to redo the links for these to show again.