Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Ford Victoria Custom project!

cruz

_M_A_meetingSeptemberof2011034-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Greetings fellas! This is a little something I am cooking in the old Cruz family basement for you to enjoy. It is based on the Lindberg '53 Ford Victoria, a kit I have always wanted to build and also one that was voted kit of the year after it hit the shelves in it's debut.

Nothing special, just a few extra resin parts from my favorite resin caster Norm Veber from Replicas and Miniatures. I am lowering it slightly and with Norm's '53 Ford "Hop Up" kit I will be able to hit the streets and Custom shows "sleeper" style and kick some "culitos" here and there.

The stance you see in the picture might change slightly, I just wanted to see how the rims and whitewalls looked. I am currently in the process of putting the engine together along with the distributor wires and wire looms. Norm's resin hop up kit already includes the wire looms and they are terrific, I just wanted to use the hypordemic needles to simulate mine and have some fun experimenting.

I also purchased the Model Car Garage '53 Ford Victoria Detail Set for the emblems and a few other things along the way. I also purchased their Stromberg kit which includes the stromberg resin carbs and P/E linkages and parts. I will just go ahead and add the pictures, feel free to ask in case of any questions.... ;)

This is a great kit,and I'm always amazed at the magic that happens on the Cruz workbench!

The wheels and tires are perfect.What color have you got in mind for this one?

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Thanks fellas. I want something simple, might just go with the red and white on this one, only the white will be pearlish on the top. ;)

Interesting project Cruz, I will follow this one closely. Did the paint rub off on the transmission from handling?

Thanks Kevin, no, the transmission will be painted a different color later. I don't worry about coverage now since I will be handling the part from this area a lot, I still have more detail to add to this engine specially on the stromberg carbs.

Thanks Kevin, no, the transmission will be painted a different color later. I don't worry about coverage now since I will be handling the part from this area a lot, I still have more detail to add to this engine specially on the stromberg carbs.

Thanks Cruz but I will tell you something, you will have to give us a small tutorial on how you went about doing those sweet wire looms, they really look terrific man. What did you use for distributor wires? They look very much to scale.

fyVMtP8A-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks Cruz but I will tell you something, you will have to give us a small tutorial on how you went about doing those sweet wire looms, they really look terrific man. What did you use for distributor wires? They look very much to scale.

I purchased a reel of bead wire from Michael's, this is actually the exact one I bought, scale is right on the money!

Awesome Cruz, another great WIP from you. Are the wires actually running inside the looms completely or did you just add the extensions at each of the ends? Also, I went to Michael's and they did not have the bead wire in black, did you paint yours or something?

This is going to be amazing project. Those wheels fit really nicely and stance looks good on those pictures. Engine is amazing, those spark plug wires look bit different, but they are really clean like that, I like them. I'll be watching this one.

Awesome Cruz, another great WIP from you. Are the wires actually running inside the looms completely or did you just add the extensions at each of the ends? Also, I went to Michael's and they did not have the bead wire in black, did you paint yours or something?

Thanks Jay, the wires actually do run right through the looms from one side to the other, by using these needles I am able to do that since they are completely hollow. You are also right on the color of the bead wire, it does not come in a black color, I painted these before inserting them inside the tubes.

ok,Marcos, another loom question .. it really does look good. Do you know what the gage of the needle was?

That needle is 23 gauge. You can order the needles from the link below, they have various gauges. I have purchased 5 different gauges so far and I am having a lot of fun using them for details around my builds!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working slowly on this project so here is an update. Engine is almost complete, I installed a Replicas and Miniatures flathead fuel pump with it's clear resin fuel bowl and also completed most of the work on the Model Car Garage stromberg kit. I also added the mufflers on the chassis. Here are some pictures.....

1953FordVictoriaProject3045-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1953FordVictoriaProject3047-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

CPMCCMeetingOctober2011072-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

CPMCCMeetingOctober2011073-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki