Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Ford Victoria Custom project!

cruz

Wow man, I don't know what's better, the BMF job or the paint :blink: This thing looks ridicoulesly awesome. Do you use something to brighten up that foil? Mine never seems to shine like that. Panel lines look so clean it looks as if the doors actually open.

Wow man, I don't know what's better, the BMF job or the paint :blink: This thing looks ridicoulesly awesome. Do you use something to brighten up that foil? Mine never seems to shine like that. Panel lines look so clean it looks as if the doors actually open.

Thanks guys! Kevin, I like to use a very small dab of 3M polishing compound on my finger, rub it on the installed BMF and remove it with a piece of flannel or cotton cloth, this gives it a much brighter and reflective look. Like I said, a little dab will do ya! ;)

So Cruz, how long did it take your enamel basecoat to dry before adding your clear? I personally am not too crazy about using Testor's enamels because of the long period of time time they take to dry. :unsure:

Thanks Jay, I too am not really crazy about using Testor's enamels for my paintjobs but when I do, I like to use the flat colors. They go on much smoother than the glossy ones and the drying time is much quicker. Also, you can use lacquer thinner on your glossy enamel paints, they will actually dry better and quicker than when using the Testor's brand thinner.

CPMCCNovember2011meeting076-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki CPMCCNovember2011meeting075-vi.jpgHosted on FotkiCPMCCNovember2011meeting002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki 4_z1953_ford_crestlineinterior-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Sorry for boring you guys, I am still trying to get this piece of $#%& done... :rolleyes: Anyway, I have a very good friend of mine suggest an interior combination to put in the Victoria. I was going to go another route but I really did liked this one. I mixed some browns together to come up with this color and added a bit of flocking to the floor. Hope you guys like it....

Cruz, how do you get that flocking to look so nice and even? Everytime I try that, I get bald patches in different areas. What glue do you use for this?

I think everyone employs a different method when working around their flocking, I think it's something that has to be played with until you finally decide which method to use.

First, I like using Elmer's white glue slightly thinned down with a bit of water, I personally think the Elmer's glue is a little too thick right out of the bottle. I usually like using embossing powders to do this instead but I do employ the same thinning technique as I do for the flocking. Make sure you use a small strainer, you want the flocking sparsed and evenly distributed throughout the area. Once you place the flocking inside the strainer, tap it and let the flocking do it's job.

Work one area at a time, don't try to do the whole interior floor at once. I like to start on the transmission hump first and work myself towards the outside. Make sure to dump all the flocking you can, the more you dump, the better, the weight of the floccking should be more than sufficient pressure to get full coverage and an even coat., never try to put any additional pressure with your fingers, you will mess it up.

Give it at least ten minutes to partially dry and once you are done just turn your interior upside down while tapping it to get rid of the excess flocking. I like to paint the interior first using a color similar to the flocking I am using, it will give you much better coverage at the end. After I am done, I place the interior inside my food dehydrator for a half hour, it just evens everything up much better and "burnishes" the glue around any corners and also around the transmission hump.

Don't be afraid of adding as much glue as possible to the interior floor before adding your flocking, one of the reasons I like to thin the glue is just that, it levels out nice and even. Try to use a medium size brush, it makes it easier to apply the glue more evenly than a small brush. Hope this helps......

CPMCCNovember2011meeting001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by cruz

Thanks for the quick lesson there Cruz, God knows I really needed that since I also have so many issues with this flocking thing. :rolleyes: That interior just looks awesome. I was using the glue right out of the bottle too so I will surely try the thinning trick to see how it works. Also, I am headed to Wal Mart for the purchase of my food dehydrator. I love this forum!