Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirk's 1/24 Revell Mustang Mach III

Dirkpitt289

This is the 1992 Mustang Mach III Concept, probably the most familiar concept Mustang. This two-seater roadster was created to spark interest before the release of the 1994 Mustang. It had a supercharged 4.6L 4v V-8 with 450-horsepower, 440 ft-lbs. of torque, a top speed of 180 mph, a 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds, and a 1000-watt stereo system.

From what I can tell there was 2 prototypes of this car. One was a Red/ Orange and the other was Green. From what I understand the Red orange one was destroyed in a fire. The final remaining model--the green one pictured below--sold at Christie's Auction in 2002 for $491,500.

GreenMach35.jpg

GreenMach34.jpg

Here is the other one

mach3_7.jpg

mexpback.jpg

Personally, I’m glad the Guys and Gals over at Blue Oval never choose to mass produce this thing. Seriously, doesn’t it look like the offspring of a really portly Pony and a old Hyundai Tiburon? In all fairness, it’s pushing over 400HP, and I actually kind of like the interior. Every time i look at this car it reminds me of Jenifer Lopez.

Jennifer20Lopez20Humongous20Ass.jpg

Onto the kit. I bought this off Evilbay for 99 cents (Not sure I like this car enough to have paid market value for it)not including shipping. The box was tattered and the kit was started. I left the assembled motor alone but disassembled the bits attached to the ubdercarrage

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

More to follow. Thanks for looking

Interesting. I've only seen the red one - I didn't know there was a second one. I like that green better than the red. What color are you doing yours in?

I'm still unsure at this time. I don't have either of the Ford colors in my collection so I was thinking of using a color I do have (FLOQUIL Maroon). I went to the local train shop today and looked through their colors and that didn't have anything that matched either. Part of me seems to be leaning toward the red/ orange but I'm still not sure. Time will tell. All input is welcome.

I always thought this was a funky looking car, when it first hit the scene. I kind of like it better now, but that "tray" hanging down below the rear end, is it supposed to be like that??? Or is it retractable? Sure hope so. Otherwise you might wonder what the Ford designers were thinking.... :rolleyes:

I always thought this was a funky looking car, when it first hit the scene. I kind of like it better now, but that "tray" hanging down below the rear end, is it supposed to be like that??? Or is it retractable? Sure hope so. Otherwise you might wonder what the Ford designers were thinking.... :rolleyes:

i liked it too just hate the stupid windshield and the fact that it was a convertible, that piece youre talking about, im cutting off it does look stupit.

FZtpz.jpg

LMvSB.jpg

WOW, good stuff Frank. Who donated the roof? I also like your wheels. I'm sure that having a roof will negate the reasons for that piece behind the drivers head from rising and lowering. (See 4th picture from the top of this thread to see what I mean) Not that I know what that does in the first place. I would suspect that its to far forward to be a spoiler. I really want to see more of your build.

Time to get working on Jennifer Lopez. I started with the undercarriage. I usually like to build production and race cars. I'm not really a "Show Car" guy. I'm not in slamming cars or multi-colored fancy interiors etc. It's not that I have anything against that sort of thing its just not MY thing. So this is a first for me making a "Show Car."

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

The supercharged 4.6L 4v V-8 with 450-horsepower was repainted and mounted in the chassis. It's not a V-8 but at that horse power how can I complain?

IMG_1024.jpg

The completed rear suspension. It's funny how the camera highlights things that are hardly visible in person. I guess I'm going to need to take a brush and touch up the undercarriage a bit. Those speckles of white look horrendous.

IMG_1025.jpg

Thanks for looking

WOW, good stuff Frank. Who donated the roof? I also like your wheels. I'm sure that having a roof will negate the reasons for that piece behind the drivers head from rising and lowering. (See 4th picture from the top of this thread to see what I mean) Not that I know what that does in the first place. I would suspect that its to far forward to be a spoiler. I really want to see more of your build.

Time to get working on Jennifer Lopez. I started with the undercarriage. I usually like to build production and race cars. I'm not really a "Show Car" guy. I'm not in slamming cars or multi-colored fancy interiors etc. It's not that I have anything against that sort of thing its just not MY thing. So this is a first for me making a "Show Car."

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

The supercharged 4.6L 4v V-8 with 450-horsepower was repainted and mounted in the chassis. It's not a V-8 but at that horse power how can I complain?

IMG_1024.jpg

The completed rear suspension. It's funny how the camera highlights things that are hardly visible in person. I guess I'm going to need to take a brush and touch up the undercarriage a bit. Those speckles of white look horrendous.

IMG_1025.jpg

Thanks for looking

nice start, roof came from a C6 snaptite. i think that spoiler was fords idea of controlling buffering.

There should be a third car then, unless it was the red car. Because not long after the prototype was out someone built a 1:1 replica of the car. I would have to research it some more, I just remember seeing an article in a magazine about it.

Continuing with Jennifer its time to lay some carpet

This process is a first for me. I found that my LHS sold this Flock like material. It was a smaller amount and cost less then then the actual Flocking material but I'm hoping it works the same.

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

For those that have never used or seen how this works. First pour a little of the Flock like material into a strainer and sift.

Before

IMG_1036.jpg

After

IMG_1037.jpg

Next I mixed a mixture of Elmers glue with some water

IMG_1038.jpg

Then apply the mix to the area that needs to be carpeted.

IMG_1039.jpg

Once the Flock is applied I pat it down with a finger and that's it. Considering this was my first attempt I was happy with the results

IMG_1040.jpg

Next I think I'll be tackling the body and some paint.

Thanks for looking

I added 3 or 4 cotes of clear. I hate to admit it but I lost count. :roll:

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Added the black to the lower back and front of the car

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

Some touch up work will be required but nothing major

IMG_1078.jpg

Side vents get a few cotes of black

IMG_1079.jpg

Here are the tail light lenses. They came out of the box in chrome and then I added some Model Masters clear red

IMG_1093.jpg

Before

IMG_1094.jpg

After, I actually like the way it looks

IMG_1095.jpg

Next time I'll be adding the interior tub to the body.

Thanks for looking

Fitting the interior tub into the body

IMG_1096.jpg

I don't have any photos to show this next issue but after fitting the tub in place which fit nicely in the cockpit area I found that the engine compartment walls didn't match up with the body. There was almost a 3/16 inch gap. Using some clamps, a soft rag to protect the finish and some CA glue I forced the kit to see things my way

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

I rarely win any arguments with my models but I won this one.

IMG_1099.jpg

Time to mount the body and interior on the chassis.

IMG_1099.jpg

Well things are back to normal. I lost the battle with this one but not the war. The cost was that the front suspension fell off the car.

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

As I tried to remount the front suspension another issue arose that I wasn't suspecting. For some unknown reason the front of the car was riding high. Sorry no pics

After lots and lots of fiddling it appeared that the springs and shocks were topping out in the wheel wells so I chopped them down a bit and remounted the front suspension. It helped a little but not as much as I hoped

IMG_1103.jpg

The only other thing I could come up with to lower the front was to start shaving the frame where the cross member meets the frame. I also ended up grinding down the frame. the amount of plastic removed does not accurately reflect the height the car was lowered but it is a bit better.

IMG_1102.jpg

Thanks for looking