Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari Daytona blasphemy (Itsa Mustang!)

Russell C

Not that it had any hopes of earning an award, I entered this in the 2013 GSL Street Machines category just to mess with people's minds. Truth is, I built it over the span of a couple of weeks back in the 1990s. The thing that prompted it was a flip remark by some guy on a cable TV car show about how you'll never see a Ferrari with side pipes. Oh, yeah? That was a straight line I couldn't resist, nor was it a project I could ignore when I saw a cheapo Monogram Miami Vice kit at a model car show swap meet and remembered I not only had a set of side pipes in my parts collection but also an old screen from my Remington electric shaver that I thought would be a useful model truck item. The then-current trend for beaters was random rattle can-painted fluorescent pink highlights. Who knows where that look originated?

564638092_FerrariItsaMustangpfr.JPG.8dbc34077445b22c8ed39ca0dc1e40df.JPG

1827128250_FerrariItsaMustangpr.JPG.a7f304756d3dbba3b26f90c4510683b1.JPG

You know how the story for such beaters goes. You are a teenager, not too bright, with a lust for a killer car powered by lawnmowing-level wages, but you live in a neighborhood having a decent supply of cars and car parts. So, you talk that old widow out of the convertible over in the tall weeds, drag it home, get it running, use 90% of your budget on gray primer, jack it up, and borrow various parts off another even more wasted hot rod, like the side pipes, slotted mags, the unpainted fiberglass scoop with the '70s flower sticker on it. And since there should be no doubt about what your ride is, be sure to spell out the car's name across the top of the windshield. Slap on some cool stickers for additional horsepower, and keep the top together with duct tape. Too bad about the rock that busted the pop-up headlight and jammed the mechanism. The Mustang pony emblem for the front got sprayed over with gray primer, but a quick removal of it and a dunk in gasoline cleaned it off. It is around here somewhere, it's not like the regular chrome ponys…….

1480563021_FerrariItsaMustangdrr.JPG.7eadd1e861af7716e78d46835b9b9953.JPG

Also too bad about losing control late one night and creaming the curb, but at least you missed the tree. Well, ok, you hit the tree with the open door as you floored it backwards, opening it up to a 90°+ angle. Nothing a bit of bondo and a spare wheel can't cure. Kinda handles weird with that bent spindle.

623790207_FerrariItsaMustangdr.JPG.57570948d5a78c40b69dd11a86a69bf8.JPG

486217027_FerrariItsaMustangdrfr.JPG.8cd7b836f49ae0accc810f13e7740161.JPG

Broken mirror? Still works since it is mostly there. Where'd the gas cap go? Oh, well, stuff a rag into the opening. Backed into a tall tree stump and busted a tail light lens? Yellow tape over that will do, but the bondo can dried out, so the dent will get fixed later. Same thing with the passenger side window, a project to fix later. No need to put the passenger side mirror back on 'til that's done. Don't you hate it when some vandal bends your antenna in half? You can never get it straight again. No need for a license plate since you aren't old enough to drive anyway. As long as nobody spots you driving around, you should be fine.

1504898287_FerrariItsaMustangbot.JPG.8a86069601c0b6b934ddc712ff6068e7.JPG

Nothing to see there, this is a slammer model.

Edited by Russell C
fixed busted photo links

If I ever hit the bazillion $$ lotto, it would be kinda fun to do this with a real Daytona Spyder. Nothing that couldn't be put right again later, but I sure would love to see the looks on the Cavallino snobs faces when I pulled up in this. Still with the V-12, but with an obvious mis-fire on at least 2 cylinders, and making a lovely cloud of smoke.

God, this is great! Beverly Hills white trash for sure. It kinda reminds me of Joe Dirt's Daytona Charger.....a true classic but waaay far gone.

That story is the "story" that quite a few of us share. Now if I could only find a Ferrari in some weeds......

Well done!

Matt

this is even better than a barn find !!!! and I can see some teenager driving this down the road with blue smoke coming out of the sidepipes every time he hits the gas pedal ..... you did an awesome job and you've got me thinkin' I need to build something like this .......