Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Dodge Charger Daytona Cannonball Run.

W-409

This is a re-post as the original thread is gone. I want to thank you everyone who posted comments in that thread and / or during the buildup!

Oh, looks like I was able to dig out my description from Google. Thanks for the tips in Off Topic Lounge section.

Well I'm happy to say this: I have finally Finished something! This Charger Daytona was built to the Cannonball Run Community Build and I started building it from an AMT kit. First, I will have to say that anyone who is thinking of building a Charger Daytona or a Superbird, start with Revell kit as this kit is definitely not the best.

I started by doing the bodywork on this thing. I wanted to make the front fenders and the nose clip a one piece unit that looks like fiberglass part. The front clip of the kit didn't fit together with the fenders at all and it required lots of styrene and Bondo to smooth out. There was a huge gap between the nose clip and stock front valance panel that needed to be filled with sheet styrene. I had to use some Bondo on trunk lid too, as there was a quite large sink mark.

Engine is a 426 Hemi from the kit, but I changed valve covers to resin pieces from Comp Resins. Carburetors are from my parts box as well as the air cleaner, which required minor modifying though. Blower belt and pulleys are from Pro Tech. Engine bay detailing is done with variety of aftermarket parts and scratchbuilt details, for example the fuel lines are Braided Line by Pro Tech, the fittings and fuel pressure regulator are scratchbuilt. Firewall is from AMT kit, the radiator wall is from my parts box with some modifications as well.

Interior is built mainly with kit parts. I wanted it to be brown with black carpet. Front seats are from my parts box and seat belts are made from Scale Dreams harness and Model Car Garage photo etch parts. The tachometer is from my parts box too. Those wooden areas on the dashboard and steering wheel were painted with Humbrol flat brown, followed by an uneven coat of Humbrol Clear Orange and finished with Revell Clear.

The chassis is built pretty much box stock. I didn't do any modifications there, as the chassis from the kit is pretty simple. Exhaust pipes are cut from the original kit parts and they end before rear axle. Wheels and tires are from Plastic Performance Products detailed with paint and by added valve stems.

Body is painted with Maston spray paints. The wing needed some Bondo to cover its seams too and then it and the hood were painted flat black. The body is polished and I used BMF to the chrome trim. Final assembly went well, only tail lights and rear bumber were a real pain to install. Otherwise I had no major problems. Oh and the mirrors are from my parts box.

3e38bcdf-4186-4a03-995a-f929075e0724.jpg
679bcee3-3a11-4644-abce-26a992f713b5.jpg
20856207-9400-400a-98fe-3fed8d64c3a2.jpg

e2943134-afd5-4812-a43f-276d56bcaca7.jpg

6de69727-52f5-4a4a-be39-eb3b9b589abe.jpg

7a941816-41b6-4c8a-b577-a679a932a663.jpg

8b162f27-3481-4f47-b5f1-2734c1addd0c.jpg

4e3e5d6c-8043-4e3d-b7ff-4344a7ab8d88.jpg

Together with my 2012 entry... '57 Chrysler 300C.

82cce567-79da-45ac-b5d8-8bd9291eeb73.jpg

Edited by W-409

Wow, thanks fellows! I'm really surprised to see this much comments on this thread, as the original one got a good number of comments, too. So Thank You :) !

It was a fun build overall and as always I had great time in the Cannonball Run. I can't wait for the next year, I know I have a killer idea and I will build a true sleeper...Stay Tuned.