Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drag Racing Build Off

evilone

i DID a ca i would like to have entered/ but i finished it well before i heard about this. 41' willy's goodguys edition. two tone black on top lime green on bottom. headers from a stars and stripes corvette i had on the shelf. (probably shouldnt of took them off) besides that it was pretty much stock. but still looked nice

Just an update from this part of the world....

Minor glitch on the project 'Cuda Pro Stock: 4 link suspension from '55 Chevy Sportsman being modified with scratch built 4 link... using 1/16" tubing for the link bars, the hyme joints are brass pieces of something from HO scale railroad and all are being held together with 000.090 brass bolts/nuts! Right now the plan is to use the kit's plastic brackets....unless I get my order for Machined Aluminum Specialties sooner!

Pics will be posted later tonight!

DrewC

As stated earlier.... pics of the PROPOSED 4 link....

Here are the materials used:

4link-homemade003.jpg

Cut to length with rear end:

4link-homemade004.jpg

One link bar roughly done:

4link-homemade005.jpg

Here is my entry and some set up pictures:

Ross Gibbons Pro Mod Motor, wrinkle wall slicks, some after market wires and plumbing goodies. I cast my own BDS blower and hat. Will use various "parts box" goodies. Still need to order rims and other odds and ends.

Going to make this a wicked Pro Mod style car...It will have a crazy Vanishing Point style cage and frame made from plastic and metal tube...Full wiring and plumbing too. I may just open her doors and trunk lid?

1966 Nova (I put most new kits in plastic storage bins until ready to build)

nova_stock.jpg

Motor and stance mock-up

nova_mock1.jpg

nova_mock2.jpg

nova_mock3.jpg

nova_mock4.jpg

good god 11 pages and 5004 views

thats alot ow ppl here

its so far a great turn out im really planning on doing another build off next year

whos in if i do

itll start jan 1st and ends december 31st

ill do it next year. gives me a while to save up stuff

Here's a a few pix on the progress of the BRUT Funnycar I'm working on...

brutchassisandstuff-vi.jpg

brutleftfront-vi.jpg

brutleftrear-vi.jpg

Body ready for decals...had a really tough time getting the 'green' right, mixed Tamiya Park Green, British Green and Dark Green - came out close. One problem is every photo of the car the base green color looks different, so i "guestimated". It appears the decals will be covering most of it up anyway...

brutb4decals-vi.jpg

will post more after decalling...oh-h-h-h boy!! ;)

thanx for lookin'

Here's a a few pix on the progress of the BRUT Funnycar I'm working on...

Body ready for decals...had a really tough time getting the 'green' right, mixed Tamiya Park Green, British Green and Dark Green - came out close. One problem is every photo of the car the base green color looks different, so i "guestimated". It appears the decals will be covering most of it up anyway...

brutb4decals-vi.jpg

will post more after decalling...oh-h-h-h boy!! ;)

thanx for lookin'

Very nice, Curt!!

I painted the engine parts for my T-Bolt this evening. I'll post a couple of pics after I've assembled it.

Here is my entry and some set up pictures:

Ross Gibbons Pro Mod Motor, wrinkle wall slicks, some after market wires and plumbing goodies. I cast my own BDS blower and hat. Will use various "parts box" goodies. Still need to order rims and other odds and ends.

Going to make this a wicked Pro Mod style car...It will have a crazy Vanishing Point style cage and frame made from plastic and metal tube...Full wiring and plumbing too. I may just open her doors and trunk lid?

1966 Nova (I put most new kits in plastic storage bins until ready to build)

nova_stock.jpg

Motor and stance mock-up

nova_mock1.jpg

nova_mock2.jpg

nova_mock3.jpg

nova_mock4.jpg

Hey Snuz... very nice stanz on the Nova.

I have reached a conclusion for my '66 Cuda project - which is to use the '55 Chevy Sportsman tub, chassis and rear end.

Much easier line up for the rear end. Are you using the chassis too? If so, do you need to alter the length? I do, front suspension is about 2 - 3 mm too long.

Edited by DrewC

Hey Snuz... very nice stanz on the Nova.

I have reached a conclusion for my '66 Cuda project - which is to use the '55 Chevy Sportsman tub, chassis and rear end.

Much easier line up for the rear end. Are you using the chassis too? If so, do you need to alter the length? I do, front suspension is about 2 - 3 mm too long.

Drew, I placed the '55 tubs and floor in there for a mock up, I will be building my own frame, floor and tubs for this model.

The '55 has a great chassis and rear set up and any mods to the wheelbase can be done fairly easy without compromising the original to much.

I start my builds by setting the body down flat, tracing the body and marking the centerline of front and rear wheels in their openings. I do this onto a piece of small stiff cardboard. This way I can build off of it and know that the body and wheels will line up.

Try this and see just how much you need to shorten or stretch the '55 frame to fit the Cuda. Then you can build off the template.

I will snap some pictures of mine and post for you to see.

Hope this helps.

Looks like some nice builds, i will be watching!

Hey dirk, i am starting a new build and am going to try to open the doors, trunk for the first time also! Good luck, and looks like your off to a good start!

Good luck to you guys!