Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Vicky nostalgia build - update 4/25

oldscool

Yeah, I know I have about half a dozen unfinished WIPs posted already (some of them going back years) but this one really has me pumped.

I couldn't wait to get my hands on this reissue because it represents the first model I bought with yard mowing money. I was 12 at the time so it would have been 1970. As soon as the sweat dried off of me I jumped on my bike and went to the W.T. Grant store that was in the neighborhood strip mall. I bought the Bonnie and Clyde boxing that came with the cardboard backdrop, rode back home and proceeded to tear into it (life was so wonderful back then :D ). I kept this model for many years but sadly I don't have it anymore.

I will attempt to do this one very close to how I built the first one.

So here is the body painted with Tamiya British Green:

IMG_0906_zpsqz0cso3x.jpg

IMG_0907_zpsu3dxw7db.jpg

It is going to need a second coat but look at how crisp the firewall detail is for such an old mold. This is as close as I could get to the color on my original build. It was brush painted with Pactra Leaf green (I think).

Here are some of the parts painted with Tamiya Gloss black:

IMG_0900_zpsdovvfdx0.jpg

I only painted the body parts on the original and left everything else in the black plastic. Wish this one was molded in black just for nostalgia sake.

I have only primed the frame as I will be brush painting it with some semi - gloss acrylic black to provide some contrast with the glossy running gear:

IMG_0904_zpsvy5p3ybj.jpg

The reason for brush painting this part is that I have to use rattle cans and by the time I get enough paint into all the nooks and crannies there is always too much paint buildup on the high areas. Once again notice the crisp details.

This kit also contains an engine stand which now gives me four different versions from various AMT kits:

IMG_0899_zps5gqsu91g.jpg

The white one came in this kit.

More progress soon.

Edited by oldscool

Looking good.

Nice thing about the AMT Vicky is that it's the only '32 Ford chassis in the AMT line (well, maybe the Phaeton too) that doesn't have the totally blobular chassis with the rear axle molded in. Though the underside detailing is totally incorrect (there were no plank floors on '32 Fords), it's a decent place to start to build a traditional car nonetheless.

I'll be interested to see how you build this as 12-year old you.

My intentions are to build it the same as the original but with better paint and assembly techniques. There will be a few small tweaks such as adjusting the body angle on the frame to get the front down a little more.

My intentions are to build it the same as the original but with better paint and assembly techniques. There will be a few small tweaks such as adjusting the body angle on the frame to get the front down a little more.

Exactly what I have in mind for the Mustang-GT funny car; a tribute to my original intent. I'll be eyeballing this, to be sure.

Got the interior bucket and seats painted.

IMG_0908_zpsjdtlzr2g.jpg

Testors little bottle flat brown from a really old bottle. I had to add a lot of thinner to the bottle which turned it into more semi - gloss than flat but it looks about right. This will be the biggest change from my original build as it had an unpainted interior.

Im going to have to get me one of these kits, it looks ace.

Great job so far Gerald, and I would say adding the thinner to the bottle brown paint for the interior has made it look spot on !, it now has just the right amount of sheen, gloss is far too shiny for interiors I find.

More progress!

Got the chassis painted and both axles are in place.

IMG_0909_zpsivz3abzb.jpg

Nice contrast between the semi-gloss and gloss black. And yes, I can still get the exhaust pipes under the axle.

Here is a mockup of the interior.

IMG_0910_zpspomagwri.jpg

Now I'm thinking maybe the instrument panel would look better in the body color. I also had to drill a hole for the shifter as I couldn't find a trace of one molded in.

Here is a better pic of the body.

IMG_0913_zps9pnl3noo.jpg

Keep in mind that it will get another coat of paint.

I hope to have a rolling chassis with engine later tonight.

Thanks Kevin and Carl. A stock one in this color with black fenders would look really good.

I had hoped to have more done by now but I'm still stuck on the painting stage. I got another coat on the body after work today and most of the detail painting is done. I don't work this weekend so should make some good progress as it is supposed to rain all day Sunday.

So here's the rolling chassis that I promised earlier.

IMG_0917_zps17j5mj1b.jpg

I love them awesome headers!

Here is most of the interior mocked up.

IMG_0918_zps5ytn7wuc.jpg

I changed the instrument panel from black to green. It just looks better with the brown seats.

Here's a body and stance mockup.

IMG_0914_zpsqezbuvmu.jpg

IMG_0916_zpst8ad6srz.jpg

IMG_0915_zpskqbov9wg.jpg

I may add a shim to raise the rear of the body just a bit so I can use the custom fenders.

I am enjoying this build more than any in a long time

Any suggestions are welcome.

Note that the custom fenders are made to fit ABOVE the wheel arches (those two little tabs should sit on top of them). I don't think you'd need to lift the rear suspension at all.

I think you are right Dave. On my original build I mounted them inside the lip around the arches and trimmed off the overhang at the bottom front but fitting them above the lip makes them the perfect length as they are. Thanks for the tip as the instructions aren't very clear as to the location.

Look at the tires closely if you build one of these as Round 2 doesn't always get the whitewall centered. The slicks are perfect but I chose the best two out of the four skinnies.

Finished engine:

IMG_0919_zpso1yaevyg.jpg

Removing the velocity stacks from the sprue undamaged was like picking the fly poop out of pepper :P . I did take a small chunk out of a couple of them but the trick is to have the sprue attachment scars abutting each other so they aren't so noticeable. It also wasn't easy to get them aligned on the carbs. The intake is painted with Humbrol aluminum and the fan is done in MM chrome silver.

IMO this is the best looking engine in any of the old Trophy kits.

Edited by oldscool