Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL East Buy, 68 Imperial Finished!

Porscheman

What do most people do with a $135.00 mint in box original Johan 68 Imperial promo, put it in a display case and put it on the shelf. Not me, I'm repainting it in original Dupli-color Chrysler Military Blue with a white quarter top, white interior and BMF. I've been looking for one of these for 40 years and I'm doing it my way.

Stay tuned.

Al

Edited by Porscheman

Thanks Curt and Ray. Anyone familiar with my builds, knows I like to finish them fast and done the right way. So the body was primed and 4 coats of Dupli-color Military Blue was applied and then 3 coats of Testors Wet Look Clear. I also tinted my glass using light coats of Tamiya's Clear Blue. Now I'll let it dry over night and polish it out tomorrow.

Al,

I for one, have no problem with what you are doing to that Imperial. Funny thing, several years ago at the Toledo NNL, I purchased a rather dilapidated '68 Imperial promo in Blue, with the Black 1/2 Vinyl Roof. Fortunately, Don Holthaus was there, and I was able to buy a set of front and rear chrome, and a set of '68 Imperial Promo wheelcovers, and a Chrysler 300 boot. The "A" pillars were busted, and there was a crack in the side of the body. I fixed the crack, and decided on a convertible.

2006_0218mymodelsfeb060016.jpg

I made a set of dog legs, and pirated the windshield frame and the basic seats and floor from a JoHan '68 Chrysler 300.

Funny, at the same NNL later in the day, I picked up another '68 Imperial Promo, this one in Turbine Bronze with a Black 1/2 Top. The chrome on it was beat up, so I visited Don Holthaus again, and bought another set of chrome for it. He asked me if I lost the first set of chrome, as I had not been an hour since I bought the other chrome. I told him I picked up another '68 Imperial. The plan is to do them as bookends, so I painted the convertible Turbine Bronze, but I wanted a white interior in it.

2007_0522june320070200.jpg

Your work on that Imperial brought back some good memories of that transaction, and reminded me that I have to get to work on the Hardtop. Fortunately, the hardtop may not need painting. Just Bare Metal and paint detail.

I know that one will be a killer, along with your other work. I cannot wait to see the finished car.