Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Yenko Camaro - update 5/31 - BMF done

oldscool

There's a WIP thread on this that goes back five years but I won't try to dig it up.

Here's where it was at back then:

IMG_0963_zpsqukzbydu.jpg

Painted with a custom mixed red orange from little bottle Testors enamels and carb is gold with a flat coat.

IMG_0964_zpsjsszrl8j.jpg

Exhaust was done with a silver Sharpie.

Couple more details:

IMG_0965_zpskqbomrtp.jpg

Finally painted the body last weekend:

IMG_0962_zpsx4uqbhyg.jpg

Model Master fathom green with one coat of high gloss clear. It will get another coat of clear after decals.

Getting them done while my mojo is still happening.

Edited by oldscool

Very nice indeed! One tip: You might want to paint the header mounting flanges, which are molded into the heads, black so they look like they're part of the headers. B)

Thanks for the tip, and that's not black but a color you should be familiar with - RLM66.

Thanks for the tip, and that's not black but a color you should be familiar with - RLM66.

HAHAHAHA yes I am! Just assumed it was black because many headers came out of the box in black paint in those days (maybe still for all I know).

Mmmmmm, schwarzgrau......

Well, it looks like this has turned into a double build. I got the Round 2 68 Camaro for the flat hood to go on another Revell 69 Camaro that I plan to build but the kit is so nice that I have decided to build it as well.

Body in white primer:

IMG_0966_zpsvggmnpvu.jpg

Engine painted with MM acryl Chevy engine red and Humbrol gunmetal enamel:

IMG_0967_zpsgsgnepkl.jpg

Chassis painted with cheap Walmart flat black:

IMG_0969_zpsmxupqrop.jpg

Man, that is really flat!

A few other details:

IMG_0968_zpsrek6iisx.jpg

I've gotten in the habit of priming everything on the sprues.

Next step is to get the decals on the Yenko car and give it another clear coat.

Before you paint that '68 body, look up my tutorial on improving these down in the tips/tricks section. You'll be glad you did when you see how much better that body CAN look with just a little work.

Got a day off work today because I have to work Saturday to make up for the slackers who have to have the entire three day weekend off.

Got the decals on the Yenko:

IMG_0970_zpsxb6p6wzg.jpg

IMG_0971_zpszgwvfor1.jpg

They were nice and opaque and settled well with some Microsol. Next step is to get another coat of clear on her after the decals dry for at least a day.

Got the basic interior painting done. For the 68 it will be classic black and the Yenko will be classic black and white.

IMG_0972_zpsru9netki.jpg

Not worried about the big ejector marks on the floorboard as they will be hard to see anyway.

Been fiddling with the 68 body for the last two days.Had to strip some of the paint and removed the lower window trim per snakes tutorial.

IMG_0973_zpszbqmbbli.jpg

What you are seeing is bare plastic that is finely etched after I stripped the too thick primer. I won't reprime as i think this will be a good surface for a coat of paint to adhere to.

Edited by oldscool

Been fiddling with the 68 body for the last two days.Had to strip some of the paint and removed the lower window trim per snakes tutorial.

IMG_0973_zpszbqmbbli.jpg

What you are seeing is bare plastic that is finely etched after I stripped the too thick primer. I won't reprime as i think this will be a good surface for a coat of paint to adhere to.

Now, see, doesn't it look MUCH better with that goofy inaccurate trim strip gone? B)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Got some paint on the 68 today after work.

IMG_0974%20-%20Copy_zpswpys0si2.jpg

IMG_0975_zpsfnovnfud.jpg

IMG_0976_zpstb3ikasc.jpg

It's two coats of Testors Mystic Emerald lacquer which looks to be close to Rallye Green to my eyes.

Now for the setback:

IMG_0977_zps0fxdmulu.jpg

She was looking great and then I got a rattin' sprattin' BUG! :angry:

Now I am quite familiar with the behaviour of translucent metallic paint having learned the lessons when I was a young and naive modeller. If I sand this out there is no way i can blend this in with the rest of the paint for it WILL be a lighter shade. I really don't want to do a repaint so now what. :huh: I'm not a total perfectionist as all of my paint jobs have a few specks in them that I just ignore but this is too obvious to let go. Any suggestions?

Edited by oldscool

Very nice! I agree with you that Mystic Emerald looks very close to Rally Green. It's a little flakier than it should be for "factory" paint, but if you can live with that, the color is very close.

Now, to your problem. I had something similar happen with that same paint on the top front fender of a '69 Camaro. I sanded it out, masked that area off to the nearest body lines, and reshot it and it looked fine. I ended up stripping that whole paint job because I went through polishing it on the rear fender, but the resprayed area looked fine. I hope to get that thing repainted in the next week or so. The point is, I think you could mask off and just repaint that rear quarter, or if need be, the whole right side of the body, and leave the rest of it alone. Lucky for you the Camaro has sharp body lines that makes this possible.