Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's put an Olds' in it

Am I the only one who's "concerned" by the brake system on that black car ?

What about it?

It appears to be a single master cylinder with an unsupported hard line...just itching to fatigue and break.

BUT...it could be a clutch master cylinder, and the brake master may be under the floor...which is very common.

Back from the days when one had a good reason to buy an Oldsmobile. It's still heart breaking to think that Oldmobile is gone. I want my father's Oldsmobile. He had a '51 88 and a '55 Super 88. Then in 1980, my mother bought a brand new Delta 88 with the rarely seen Holiday trim package. My mother liked cars with bucket seats. All 3 were very good cars. Between the '55 and the '80 Olds, my folks switched to driving Mercurys. Another dead brand :(

Scott

My Dad had Oldsmobile's from 1954 to 1975. Usually bought new every other year. In 58 he bought a 98 Convertible with the J-2 option, that was a cool ole Lead Sled..Then until they stopped the Convt he always bought convert's..In 1966 I started my buying of Olds..Had many many Cutlass Supreme's, 442's , Cutlass S , and even a wagon or two and one Delta 88 over the years.. So Yea I like Oldsmobile's,

just wish I had Kept a couple or more. LOL.

A avid fan of Oldsmobile..

Tom

We had a '55 88 convertible when I was a kid, and my folks replaced it with a '63 Dynamic 88 convert I ended up driving for a while in HS. After my mother died, the '63 got away and wound up in Texas. I tracked it down and got it back. It's in pretty rough shape now, having been left outside after the engine developed some problems, but it's 3rd or 4th on the list to get running.

Same as this, but sand beige, with a black top and dark red interior.

131916-500-0.jpg?rev=2

I love this thread. I've been an Olds guy for 32 years. I've owned many Cutlass', 442's, Hurst/Olds and even some Vista Cruiser's. I like all brand's of American muscle but Olds is still closest to my heart. I've also had some 88's, 98's a Delmont 88 and a 70 W-34 Toronado GT. Unfortunately the Toronado was too rough and I had to part it out. Sure would like to get a nice one.

To me, the koolest thing there are those spark plug wire holders that are bolted onto the valve covers. those are total neat and I suppose they were Olds only...I don't recall seeing anything like that on any other GM engines.

092014behrendt%20mb3.jpg

so, Bill, ya gonna drill them out when you add your spark plug wires? I believe that would be mandatory for "the look".

jb

Edited by jbwelda

To me, the koolest thing there are those spark plug wire holders that are bolted onto the valve covers. those are total neat and I suppose they were Olds only...I don't recall seeing anything like that on any other GM engines.

so, Bill, ya gonna drill them out when you add your spark plug wires? I believe that would be mandatory for "the look".

jb

Yes sir. I agree entirely. :)

While I don't have an engine pic, here is a picture of my dad's 1939 Ford Standard from 1956. It had a swapped in 1950 Oldsmobile engine in it. Was built and ran good. They drove out to California from Ohio in it in 1956.

Was a daily driver till sometime in the 70's when he sold it. The owner drove it and then it sat for a long time. He sold it in 1984. I went and looked at it right before he sold it. Sure wish I could have bought it. Anyways, the car pretty much fired right up after sitting for so many years. It's still around somewhere,just can't locate it. Brad

post-668-0-34691300-1434828890_thumb.jpg

Great car, Brad. The Olds-in-Ford was pretty popular back in the dim recesses of time. Made a nice fast car with more power stock than a fairly radical flathead, but lots more streetable...as I'm sure you know. Cool car, definitely.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy