Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC AMX

Roadrunner

looking good! i have one going on as well, went with lime ice. i like to hit bodies with about 4 coats clear minimum, then i wet sand with 2k [lightly], then polish with meguires 105 and 205 untill it really shines.

looking forward to seeing this come together.

Yes, I commented on that, it looks just excellent.

Looking very nice !

Thanks a bunch. If I can keep from trashing it, I'll be a happy guy.

OK, here we go again. I'm wanting to proceed with extreme caution here, and yet see how far I can take this thing towards looking good. To that end, I've started vigorously polishing the passenger door. The Drivers side actually has a smoother clear coat, and is the side that will be outwardly displayed (no contests though), so I'm "experimenting" with the passenger side first. I figure if I can make the worst side look OK, the other side should be just as pretty.

sparkles 3 002.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Looks good.  Perfect paint jobs for me are rare.  Do they even exist?  

They do exist, but rarely if ever start out that way. Lots and lots of work goes into each "perfect" paint job I've ever seen!

Kevin, if the passenger side is the bad side, I can't see it. It looks pretty good in that picture!

As I suspected (hoped), driver side is looking way better than passenger side. Not a lot of polishing left to do on this one, but I feel it's been a very good learning experience for a novice such as myself. Certainly far from perfect, but I'm OK with it as it is.

sparkles 4 003.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

man, that looks awesome!

i gotta ask though [cause i am not sure how i am going to do it], what are your thoughts on doing the AMX emblem on the 'B' pillar? i don't know if i should try bmf, or try a silver sharpie. what're your thoughts on that? we both need to figure it out soon, lol.

This worked for me maybe it will for you. I built a 1/25th scale & was working in a smaller area. Cover the full emblem with BM Foil. Trim the outside diameter as usual. Take your paint color & reduce it till it is a virtual wash. Flow that into the circle. It will collect around the edges. Then when dry you can go ahead & paint the rest of the foil.

Like everything else it looks better sitting on the shelf than the close up.

Hope this helps.

BTW, you are building a car that is dear to my heart. My second new car was a '69 AMX, blue, 390/auto with the silver Go Package.

image.jpg

man, that looks awesome!

i gotta ask though [cause i am not sure how i am going to do it], what are your thoughts on doing the AMX emblem on the 'B' pillar? i don't know if i should try bmf, or try a silver sharpie. what're your thoughts on that? we both need to figure it out soon, lol.

Thanks a lot, Bill. I think Allen has one good approach, perhaps the only one that'll work now.. If I had been thinking, I would have used BMF beforehand, and used the polish to remove the paint from the high points, as it already did on mine anyway (you can see it in my photo above), but I'll probably just do as Allen suggested, though just to be different, I'm considering black on the inside of the emblem.

After several delays, I was finally able to get some chrome on the wheels. Through a complete coincidence, this is probably fairly close to the stance this baby will have when finished. Lousy photo perhaps, but is shows what I intended.

sparkles 5 015.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner