Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 scale woody

Harry P.

The groove was cut with my X-acto blade. First I cut the two parallel sides of the groove, making sure to cut the groove wide enough to fit not only the window channel, but the 1/32" thick main wooden door panel. Then once I had the two vertical sides cut, I went along the groove with the X-acto, holding the blade at a 45º angle, first along one side of the groove, then the other. The result is sort of a "W" shaped groove...

And here you can see how the "H" shaped window channel fits into that "W," with enough space alongside the channel to also fit that 1/32" main panel...

Here are the front door post, the main panel, and the rear post, ready to be glued together...

96_zps8xqis2aj.jpg

Looking at the back (the inside) of the left front door, you can see that I laminated the main panel. Leaving just the single 1/32" thick panel would result in that panel warping when I apply a liquid (the Future I will use as the "varnish"), so I added a second layer of the birch veneer, at 90º to the outer panel. It's important to have the grain running at 90º to each other on the two panels to minimize any warpage. As you can see, the inner panel was left a bit short front and back, leaving a "tongue" on the outer panel that fits into that groove I described earlier. In this photo the window channel is in place on the front post...

97_zpslttgzkzo.jpg

More to come...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this project is still alive! :lol:

I admit I haven't made much progress lately... it's been sort of put on the back burner because I've been pretty swamped with "real" work... so much so that I had to work all last weekend, when I had hoped to get in some modeling time... but nooooooo! That's ok, though... real work is what pays the bills around here.

Anyway... I've been sort of stuck here. I've been going over the various possible ways to make the windows operate. There are tons of different ways to do this, though none of them are particularly "easy." Add to that is the fact that the doors on this car are really thin, leaving very little room inside the doors for any sort of window linkages. I have a few ideas, but haven't settled on the exact way to do it yet.

Same problem with the rear tailgate/liftgate combo... how best to make the latches really work, how many latches, where to locate them (centered or twin latches on the ends), how best to make the support arms for both the lower and upper gates, etc. Again, there are many ways to do this, both in 1/8 scale and in the real world. I've been doing a lot of "thinking" on paper lately...

...and I'm pretty sure I have the tailgate/liftgate worked out in my mind. Now all I need is the time to actually get building. Maybe this weekend...

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

As you can see, it's been a year since I was working on this project. In the meantime I have built quite a few other models start to finish, but I think it's time to pull this one out of mothballs and finish it. Because of my medical condition, I'm not sure how much time I can actually put into it... probably only drips and drabs here and there. But I do want to finish it. I pulled the partially-built model out of storage this afternoon... now I have to look it over and try too remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I shut it down, so I can pick up more or less where I left off.

Updates may be few and far between, but they will be coming.

Avidly waiting. You might post a shot of the 1:16 you did so everyone can see what you're dealing with.

Ok, good idea. I actually built this 1/16 scale version first, to work out some of the details of constructing the body, and maybe learn from my mistakes before I tried to do a 1/8 scale version. The "half size" version actually came out very well... even beyond my expectations, to be honest. But I did run into some specific construction and assembly problems that I would do differently when I did the 1/8 scale version. So it paid to build this "practice" version first.

finished3_zpsqvaxw6ib.jpg

finished7_zpsosbiqwq3.jpg

• 4 months later...