Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 and 72 Gran Torino. Differences? Post a pic of your build.

Simple??? Everything. The cars share nothing but a few engine options and maybe a rear gear ratio. 72 was coil spring all four corners. 70 was coil spring front and leaf rear. 72 body on frame build. 70 uni-body build. No glass, bumpers or panels are shared.

Edited by Dave Van

JoHan promo bodies are not hard to find. The promo 'kit' and JoHan NASCAR kit have a 100% stock body with trim.

Ya missed a few things Dave, the Johan Stock car needs the gas filler hole filled on the rear quarter, and the hood does not have the scoop that the Sports do. It does have an accurate frame and suspension for a stock build tho.

They also had a 72/73 Torino (not Gran Torino) It was the base model car. I had one like this after high school, but it was metallic pea green. Had a 351 with a 4 speed, and it was a four door. Wish I still had it. Fun car to play on the street.

CC-97-056-800.jpg

I thought the JoHan promo of the '72 Gran Torino had a hood scoop, which makes it a Gra Torino Sport. And gas filler in the fender? The '72 Torinos or Gran Torinos I remember with a gas filler in the fender were the station wagons.

Scott

I was speaking of the stock car version. Has a stock body with all the trim, but there is a hole in the quarter for the fuel neck, and there is no scoop. With the interior from the Promo/Johan, and Chassis from the stock car, a very nice kit can be built.

You can have a Gran Torino Sport without the hood bulge. You can also have the hood bulge on a notchback Gran Torino.

The JoHan promo is the only stock hood with bulge/scoop. JoHan has flat stock hood. The MPC NASCAR hood fits the JoHan body perfect (MPC direct copy of the JoHan) and it has the hood bulge but sealed at front.

Modelhaus has the bumpers and grill listed for a '72 Torino.

I got ahold of a Model King issue stock car , The box says it's an AMT kit .

torino_boxtop1_zpsw5zyw3pd.jpg

Got this gold/yellow promo with a broken A pillar on eBay for around $20.00

002-104_zpse8dfab35.jpg

The bumpers, grill , glass and interior tub from the promo fit perfectly into the stock car body.

You can have a Gran Torino Sport without the hood bulge. You can also have the hood bulge on a notchback Gran Torino.

The JoHan promo is the only stock hood with bulge/scoop. JoHan has flat stock hood. The MPC NASCAR hood fits the JoHan body perfect (MPC direct copy of the JoHan) and it has the hood bulge but sealed at front.

Hate to disagree with you Dave. I have a '72 Ford factory ordering guide. '72 Gran Torino Sports came from the factory with hood scoop hoods. Notch or fastbacks. Now you could order a "regular" Gran Torino in the same two body styles, plus others. In the case of the regular Gran Torino 2-doors, you could equip them with basically the same equipment as the Sports. Including things like bucket seats. So, if you wanted a Gran Torino Sport without a hood scoop, you had to order regular Gran Torino with same equipment. No laser stripe option for the regular Gran Torinos, though. '73 Gran Torino Sports did not have a hood scoop.

Scott

Scott is correct. The Gran Torino Sport had the scooped hood and was available as a notchback (like the later Starsky & Hutch) or sportsroof. The sportsroof was dropped after '73. The Montego GT of '72-'73 came only with the sportsroof. It would also make a nice model.

Scott is correct. The Gran Torino Sport had the scooped hood and was available as a notchback (like the later Starsky & Hutch) or sportsroof. The sportsroof was dropped after '73. The Montego GT of '72-'73 came only with the sportsroof. It would also make a nice model.

Thank you for your kind words Jim. But, I did make two mistakes in the info I gave. I stated one could get a Gran Torino, non-Sport, in the fastback, Sportsroof body style. Sorry to say, I was wrong on this. The fastback was only available as a Gran Torino Sport. Both the Gran Torino and the Gran Torino Sport were available in the 2-door "formal" roof hardtop. Along with the "plain" Torino, which was also available in the 2-door formal hardtop.

Going back a looking at my '72 ordering guide, I was also surprised and wrong about the Laser Stripe option not being available on non-Sport Gran Torinos. The book states, "Available only on 2 door Gran Torino and Gran Torino Sport models." So every option available for a Gran Torino Sport, was also available on a 2-door Gran Torino. The only difference would the hood scoop and blacked out grille. All 1972 Gran Torino Sports, Sportsroof or formal, came from the factory with hood scoops.

The Gran Torino Sport and Gran Torino Squire models also came with V-8s only. Starting with a 302 CID 2-barrel, rated at 140 HP. Regular Torinos and Gran Torinos could be had with a 6. A 250 CID 1-barrel, rated at 95 HP. The 351 CID 4-barrel V-8 (CJ - 248 HP) motor was only offered on 2-door Torinos, Gran Torinos, and Gran Torino Sports. Which was Fords performance motor that year. All Torinos were available with the previous mentioned 302. Plus a 351 2-barrel, rated at 161 HP. A 400 2-barrel, rated at 168 HP. And a 429 4-barrel, rated at 205 HP.

I hope this clears a few things up. And I'm sorry about the mistakes I made earlier. By the way, I have these books for every Ford car and some trucks from 1962 through 1980. With the exception of 1973. I also have same for several other makes from the 1940's on (including Ford for 1941). I am fascinated with what models were offered when, and with what options. Some odd vehicles still could still slip through the cracks and not show up in these factory issued books. Plus, depending on the issue/release date of book, they may not have covered dis-continued or mid-year releases. But, all-in-all, they are fairly accurate on the type information We have discussed here.

Scott