Model Cars Magazine Forum

Applying Clear Lacquers

About a week ago I shot a test spoon with a fresh coat of Krylon 'Fusion', (ya, I know) it already had a couple of coats that had cured out , waited 30 minutes and sprayed it with TS-13, didn't even follow the directions, went straight for a 'wet' coat, came out perfect. All this AND the relative humidity was around 55-60%. I like TS-13. Next I'm gonna try Dupli-Color 'Color Match' clear.

Just remember Gene, Duplicolor clear is an automotive lacquer & is a hot paint.

It's not compatible with some paints.

Steve

Thanks again. I'm very cautious about painting and clear coats and have spent my share of Power Purple removing bad base coats. I've finally gotten comfortable with the basics, and if you've seen the decals from this MAD Revell kit, you know why I'm concerned of messing up what I've done so far.

The spoon idea jogged my memory from following Mooneyez' thread on his incredible funny car build, so I'll pick some up and start experimenting with Tamiya primer, some leftover Tamiya paint and Testors.

Dupli-Color "Perfect Match" clear isn't any hotter than TS-13, and nothing I've used polishes up better than TS-13, at least for me.

I would definitely not use Duplicolor over decals. So, if TS-13 is as hot as Duplicolor, I would avoid them both over decals.

Testors lacquer clears are very mild & will probably be your best bet.

I've shot Testors clear over sheets of homemade decals to prevent smearing with no ill affect.

Steve

I would definitely not use Duplicolor over decals. So, if TS-13 is as hot as Duplicolor, I would avoid them both over decals.

Testors lacquer clears are very mild & will probably be your best bet.

I've shot Testors clear over sheets of homemade decals to prevent smearing with no ill affect.

Steve

The key to using any kind of "hot" lacquer over decals is to build up a barrier layer of many light "mist coats" and let it dry thoroughly before you spray a wet coat. It's really not that difficult, you should give it a try!

Edited by Mike_G

I tested spraying Testors Model Master Ultra Gloss Clearcoat Lacquer over Testors Acryl acrylic paint and there is no bad effect. Testors is not a hot lacquer.

I've sprayed Testors clear over almost everything at some point with virtually no bad affects.

It's pretty much my "go to" clear when I just need a quick shot of shine.

I don't use it on bodies anymore for previously stated reasons.

Steve

Thanks again all. I'm going to do a spoon test on all Tamiya sprays and then use my Testors ultra gloss clear. Decals are going slowly as these big ones that stretch the side of the entire body and on the hood are very hard to slide off the backing for me. Timing is everything and keeping the water warm. I use a large tray for soaking them so they don't curl up as much.

Happy Independence Day!