Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush kit

Amazon has a spray booth for around $65

If you use a 40 percent off coupon at hobby lobby you can get the Paasche single action airbrush for just around $50, I just got it and love it.

I have a harbor freight airbrush compressor that was $60 and is very very quiet.

I have a harbor freight airbrush compressor that was $60 and is very very quiet.

It's probably similar to my Walmart Campbell-Hausfield compressor. It's not TOO loud (no louder than my old tiny "desktop" compressor), but it only needs to run a couple minutes to fill the tank, which can last for a 10-20 minute airbrushing session--which is actually a LOT of airbrushing. In other words, you can do a lot of painting for the amount of noise with a setup of this kind.

Now if you want REALLY quiet, you can rent (or buy) a big tank, and then take it in and have it refilled every so often.

The fold up booth, if it's the same one I have, has a vacuum motor built in for fumes, the stalks with clips for hold parts to spray is separate and it's way too small for painting bodies! I'd recommend staying away from aerosol can propellant and bite the bullet for a pump and gun. Don Yost is a top notch builder and his $20 dvd gives you all the information for the best parts for different budgets, as well as conquering that fear of moving away from spray cans. Alas, I haven't picked it up yet but do intend to. If you have a 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon, you can a beginners acrylic kit from Testors with a aerosol can, six acrylic bottles of basic colors and primer. The point is that is has a single stage (?) gun, glass jar for shooting from and for a little over $10 with coupon, you could start with spoons or glue bombs to get the hang of an adjustable spray method vs. a can IMO.