Model Cars Magazine Forum

please stop it !

That's a pet peeve of mine too. along with woefully distorted glass. :( Best thing to do to alleviate that is really barrier coat that hood with either Future (Pledge with Future Shine), or BIN Zinsser sealant. I've used both and have never had any ghosting of the score line underneath.

Hmmm...

Are you talking Mopar B-bodies or GM B-bodies...s the AMT GM B-bodies (Impalas, etc) all have normal hoods...

As far as the Mopars, I've never seen one with a 'hole cast in the hood'...the ones I've bought all have normal hoods..'68 Road Runner, '69 GTX ht and convertible, '70 Super Bee...the Pro Street Super Bee, maybe?

Edited by Rob Hall

I think he's refering to the "guide" engraved into the underside of the hood for those who want to cut a hole in their hood....it apparently shows thru paint jobs. ie>> it "ghosts".

I've seen it on 68 RRs....

Edited by mike 51

I think he's refering to the "guide" engraved into the underside of the hood for those who want to cut a hole in their hood....it apparently shows thru paint jobs. ie>> it "ghosts".

I've seen it on 68 RRs....

If so, that's the standard approach that AMT and others have used for optional hood holes for over 50 years...

The problem is internal stress in the plastic from the molding process. Best thing to do is to liberally paint the topside of the groove with solvent glue, then let it dry. The plastic will then bulge where it's stressed and you can sand it flat. This process also works for when you shave door handles, emblems, and the like.

Dave, That addresses the problem of ghosting on the top side, but still leaves the outline of the cut pattern on the bottom side of the hood, which to me is almost unrepairable. A template or even a second hood with the cutout already done would be the ultimate solution.