Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram from the begining

Why do you refer to this as a beginning? Monogram offered models before these kits.

Scott

I think Greg means an earlier time frame within reason & I'd have to agree ..... I really can't see too many of todays modellers running out to buy a hunk of wood in a box

post-3336-0-20175400-1436787260_thumb.jp

What i'd like to ask, Greg, is what makes you think every modeller across this big wide World likes everything you like? Or wants what you want kitted, kitted? Or has the same interests as you?

You sure do post a lot of Why don't *revell/AMT etc make this/that & the other...? Are there not enough kits/subjects out there at the moment to fill up your free/spare/leisure time?? I'm curious??

Because every thread you've started regarding these topics ( new/reissues etc ) I have absolutely NO interest in whatsoever... & I doubt if I'm the only one....

Edited by Hemified71

What i'd like to ask, Greg, is what makes you think every modeller across this big wide World likes everything you like? Or wants what you want kitted, kitted? Or has the same interests as you?

You sure do post a lot of Why don't *revell/AMT etc make this/that & the other...? Are there not enough kits/subjects out there at the moment to fill up your free/spare/leisure time?? I'm curious??

Because every thread you've started regarding these topics ( new/reissues etc ) I have absolutely NO interest in whatsoever... & I doubt if I'm the only one....

Who cares?

If you think for a single moment that the model companies don't peruse these forums occasionally to see what their target demographic is thinking/doing/feeling, you'd be sadly mistaken. So if you want something reissued - you say so. Publicly. It doesn't matter if you agree or not. If you don't like Greg's posts, you are hereby cordially invited to not click on them.

Edited by Jantrix

Who cares?

If you think for a single moment that the model companies don't peruse these forums occasionally to see what their target demographic is thinking/doing/feeling, you'd be sadly mistaken. So if you want something reissued - you say so. Publicly. It doesn't matter if you agree or not. If you don't like Greg's posts, you are hereby cordially invited to not click on them.

This is a public forum, no? It's a 2-way Street... If Greg's allowed to have an opinion, then why aren't the rest of us? And if you think kit manufacturers are popping in from time to time on forums... While that MAY be true, like once a year, then where are all the kits that Greg & the like speak of?? Or were you just referring to the "American" manufacturers??

So why don't yo put up a more constructive thread covering YOUR interest?

This is a public forum, no? It's a 2-way Street... If Greg's allowed to have an opinion, then why aren't the rest of us?

What's stopping you? :huh: Show us some pictures too. :Dgene_s426hemi516.jpg69-Dodge-Charger-R-T_Hardtop-DV-09_GG_00

Edited by Greg Myers

Probably because I can face reality... Like the majority of modellers... Whatever the kit manufacturers put out, if it interests us we'll buy it, if not then we won't... Sooner or later they'll either go broke or make more profit for more "new" kits. The ones that do ( manufacturers ) make a profit are doing so because they're producing the kits the majority want ?

If just 1 of the big 3 Japanese makers decided & produced 1 American muscle car ( not a re-issue of any type, but a completely new tooling etc ) & did it to their standards & got it out there ASAP, it would, hopefully, make Revell ( USA ) & AMT/Rd 2, sit up & take notice, maybe even get them off their arse to start cranking out kits we all want, variety included ???

Well there you go.

If just 1 of the big 3 Japanese makers decided & produced 1 American muscle car ( not a re-issue of any type, but a completely new tooling

What would YOU suggest ? ^_^ remember, something totally new, never before issued. :mellow:

Edited by Greg Myers

Have you read the two books about the history of Monogram and Revell? They are very good, give some great background and insight into the companies and some great photos.

For what it is worth, The Monogram kits were pretty sophisticated for early '60s kits. I think they caused AMT to up the ante and create the Trophy kits with more features.

Yes they were http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plastic-model-kit-history/a-brief-history-of-monogram-plastic-model-kits/ :D and fun.

f105-four-star.JPG

Edited by Greg Myers

Probably because I can face reality... Like the majority of modellers... Whatever the kit manufacturers put out, if it interests us we'll buy it, if not then we won't... Sooner or later they'll either go broke or make more profit for more "new" kits. The ones that do ( manufacturers ) make a profit are doing so because they're producing the kits the majority want

cliff-ideas-sheep.jpg

I generally agree with Greg's choices. And I find his posts interesting. Great models and great photos. Keep them coming Greg.

Scott

I received the '36 as a present back in the day. I guess I was like twelve or thirteen and the kit had been out a few years.

I was (quietly) disappointed.

First, it was a 1/24 scale Monogram model, not a real 1/25 scale model like from AMT or (boy oh boy) Revell. Also, I was pretty underwhelmed by the competition parts (everything I built was for the strip, Clyde). Who goes drag racing with carburetors?

Of course, now my opinion is different. I'm no longer that opposed to it being in 1/24 scale (yup, still think that Monogram backed the wrong horse, but they've stuck to their guns for nearly sixty years, so what do I know). As far as the competiton parts, the kit holds a 1961 copyright, and in the ensuing years I seen pictures of what was run on the local strip around that time, and carbs were still very much in the equation.

I can't see them reissuing that kit, though, other than taking a gamble that there are enough of us old farts timers who think they could still do something with that kit.

And feel free to suggest kits to be cranked out again. I enjoy seeing the boxes of kits that me and my buddies built (and subsequently blew up). :)

Edited by Reegs

Hemified: why would you use that name? not everyone here thinks a "Hemi" is an appropriate name. You shouldn't post here with that name, it is an insult to those of us who think hemi motors are over rated. I am sure you see my point.

jb

So you really think it's "appropriate" to discuss model cars here,Greg? :rolleyes:

What if the kit manufactors thought you had a good idea and they proceeded to produce a kit the not *everybody* wanted? :o

Golly at least you post "pitchers" for those who hate to read.... :D

While I don't agree with every kit that is posted that should come back or be made just as I am sure others feel the same or differently or some would feel negative about a kit I would like to see come back/made...that's the beauty of the hobby ~but~ I do regardless of the kit subject matter I do enjoy seeing the old box art that Greg takes the time out to find and post and I do look forward to his post either on kits or just some of the off the wall stuff he finds........Greg I thank you....keep 'em coming.....BTW I remember my dad maaaaaaaaaany years ago had the '36 kit that was pictured first......until my at that time tiny hands got ahold of it............

Edited by Badluck 13

While I don't agree with every kit that is posted that should come back or be made just as I am sure others feel the same or differently or some would feel negative about a kit I would like to see come back/made...that's the beauty of the hobby ~but~ I do regardless of the kit subject matter I do enjoy seeing the old box art that Greg takes the time out to find and post and I do look forward to his post either on kits or just some of the off the wall stuff he finds........Greg I thank you....keep 'em coming.....BTW I remember my dad maaaaaaaaaany years ago had the '36 kit that was pictured first......until my at that time tiny hands got ahold of it............

You said it a lot better than I did. Keep posting this stuff Greg.

Scott