Model Cars Magazine Forum

Static Charge Attracts Dust - Pics added Wed.15th

My models attract dust etc when I'm spray painting them. It looks like this is caused by a static charge which I assume builds up while sanding the parts.

Any ideas about how to prevent this happening - or how to release the charge?

Edited by peekay

If you are painting on a concrete floor , wet the floor down before you spray . Plastic walls , booths , etc , already have an electro static charge built in . The slightest movement resets it . Carpeted floors are also a big no no in a spray area . Move your work table away from your painting area also ......

just about any time you rub/scrape two surfaces together, at least one of them will develop a static charge if the materials are not plain glass or ceramic (I'm sure there is a big list but I'm not going to list it here).

plastic items are the worst, the human body can carry a static charge of 40K volts and not even know it till you discharge onto a grounded object and you feel that SNAP.

car painters tricks work for models...wet down your work area if you can, I see my painter buddy wet down the spray booth as prep before painting many times.

don't wear anything polyester when prepping to paint or cleaning.

don't work near an AC vent or fan.

Thanks very much to all of you for the helpful tips.

I just thought I'd add a coupla pics of my paint booth, which I built under a staircase. The door is sealed when shut and there are fine screens in it to filter incoming air. Ventilation from 4 small fans seems to work well. I lined the walls with a plastic-ish floor covering - perhaps that was a mistake.

About wetting the walls and floor - would this not create humidity problems?

28139b1a-349d-4ec1-80aa-da75b48121f6_zps

72a9702a-3190-4349-a78f-6486574378fe_zps

Thanks Mike C. I will definitely try the wetting idea but I can't try out any of the suggestions at the moment -"it's too darned hot"!

Here's an idea: if I place an object with a very strong static charge in the cabin, but away from the line of fire, would this divert airborne dust away from the model?

Take a used softener sheet (clothes-drying type) and lightly wipe the body down. Dryer sheets help prevent that "dreaded static cling" you see on TV ads.

I stress used; a fresh sheet may leave a residue behind.

Now THAT sounds like good advice. Good thinking Ray.

I used to have big problems with really hardcore small dust particles in paint.

The only thing I do now is wet the sanded surface with a thick soft brush using a distilled water / alcohol solution, 1 part alcohol, 9 parts clean water. Dry it off with compressed air.

No more problems!

I have a sandblaster in the room, an open door with sometimes windy conditions coming in (I live on a hill with a big view), there's metal dust in the air, so on and so forth. No more problems!

Guaranteed.

Michael

Take a used softener sheet (clothes-drying type) and lightly wipe the body down. Dryer sheets help prevent that "dreaded static cling" you see on TV ads.

I stress used; a fresh sheet may leave a residue behind.

Now I feel like an idiot. I'd forgotten that I'd seen this advice from you before and even took a bunch of used dryer sheets upstairs to the model zone to use in this capacity. Then I found myself asking, "Why did I bring up all these used dryer sheets?" Mystery solved!

Hi Peter,

The surface is positive charged after manipulation, or depending on the environment, positive charged from just sitting around. This simple solution neutralizes the object, so nothing ( I mean no junk!) gets on the surface except paint. This works. It's easy and cheap and foolproof. Do it just prior to painting.

Your paint dust problems disappear.

Michael