Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cars of American Graffiti

This is the most recent Re issue amt-mpc-1932-ford-5-window-coupe-boyd-co Yes, it says AMT / ERTL, it is , however the old MPC Switchers kit.

Yup. Molded in metallic red, chopped top only, and only the goofy rubber band wheels/tires. Still a parts mine, though, with lots of bashing potential. I'm doing mine as a '60s Altered, where the nonstock frame won't matter.

this one also...what? don't understand.

the golden rod looks like it has the right rad. shell.the shape looks right.is it chopped in the golden rod?....Chris 

This one also is an MPC kit with which to build the AG '32 coupe, not unlike all the rest of the MPC kits shown. Also. :D

Yup. Molded in metallic red, chopped top only, and only the goofy rubber band wheels/tires. Still a parts mine, though, with lots of bashing potential. I'm doing mine as a '60s Altered, where the nonstock frame won't matter.

thank you Richard for info.I guess I'm going to look into these 32 kits.those rims and tires......I would have no use for..that I know of.your fuel altered sounds pretty cool.so on this Coddington kit is the roof on it..or is it a separate part?......Chris

thank you Richard for info.I guess I'm going to look into these 32 kits.those rims and tires......I would have no use for..that I know of.your fuel altered sounds pretty cool.so on this Coddington kit is the roof on it..or is it a separate part?......Chris

Top's a separate part, and I think you can also still build it as a roadster if you want (you could with the earlier issues). It's kind of a cool kit unless you're interested in building a stock '32 Ford of some kind.

Several people here have mentioned that AMT has offered a model of a '56 Thunderbird, like Suzzane Summers drove in American Graffiti. When did this happen? In 1/25 scale, the only two-seat Thunderbird I know of made by AMT is their perennial '57. They did offer a '55 back in 1955. But a '56? I don't remember that one.

Okay, you know me. I opened my mouth and then check the facts. A quick web search showed me the '56 Bird you guys were talking about. After seeing the box art, I vaguely remember this kit. What is the history of this kit? Was designed during the Ertl days? And how is it compared to Monogram's '56? In other words, is it a nice kit or not? Also, like '55, AMT did a promo of the '56 in 1956. So far I have found no information that it as offered as a kit like their early '55.

Edited by unclescott58

• 2 months later...

I was reading today online that Ray Evernham bought the '58 Impala last year and had it restored.  Looks really nice.  See the link for more details.  http://blog.caranddriver.com/field-car-no-more-ray-evernham-restored-the-58-chevy-impala-from-american-graffiti/  .  Nice to see it owned by someone who really appreciates it and not just as an investment.

Edited by carrucha

Okay, you me. Open my mouth and then check the facts. A quick web search showed me the '56 Bird you guys were talking about. After seeing the box art, I vaguely remember this kit. What is the history of this kit? Was designed during the Ertl days? And how is it compared to Monogram's '56? In other words, is it a nice kit or not? Also, like '55, AMT did a promo of the '56 in 1956. So far I have found any information that it as offered as a kit like their early '55.

The kit was released in  2003 as the American Graffti car. The Directory does not show any release  earlier than that. It is a 1/25 scale and the Monogram is 1/24 scale released in 1982. 

Curt's 2CV is a '67, which makes it the only main cast car which is not period correct.

You could settle for the Welly diecast, which is even available in the correct colour, if you are not too fussy. Because it depicts a 1980s vintage 2CV.
If you want to make an accurate replica of the film car, the best start is the Heller 2CV. Again, it depicts a later model, but the only significant difference
is the panel below the trunk lid. Whereas later 2CVs had it squared off, like the Heller model does, earlier models had it slanted, a continuation of the trunk lid.

Look:

http://www.autoslavia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/citroen-2cv-reklama5-02.jpg

VS.

http://2008.yiparts.com/2008/pic/modelpic/CITROEN/2CV/2008aug01-48927736a0a84.jpg

As for the taillights, the ones you need are in the Heller Renault 4CV kit.
You would then have to find suitable turn signal lights mounted ahead of the rear side windows and you would basically be done.

However, if you prefer to build a period correct 2CV for 1962, you will have to make another little modification.
You would have to fill the locating holes for the door handles on the front doors and drill new ones at the front of the doors, because 1962 2CVs had reverse opening front doors:

Image result for citroen 2cv te koop

and you would have to fill in the rear side windows.

I was reading today online that Ray Evernham bought the '58 Impala last year and had it restored.  Looks really nice.  See the link for more details.  http://blog.caranddriver.com/field-car-no-more-ray-evernham-restored-the-58-chevy-impala-from-american-graffiti/  .  Nice to see it owned by someone who really appreciates it and not just as an investment.

Well, apparently there is more to the story about the cars past than what the Car and Driver article reads. 

http://unofficialamericangraffiti.weebly.com/the-1958-chevy-impala.html