Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Buick Invicta Hardtop, Update 9/29, Engine Finished.

StevenGuthmiller

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add a couple more pics of the progress on this build to let you know that I am still building!

The dash is ready to be installed for the most part. Might do a couple more small touch ups.

Most of the dashboard photos that I had seen of '61 Buicks showed a dash mounted clock, so I scratch built one.

The rest is just paint & foil.

Steve

photo DSCN4453_zpst2njf9pj.jpg photo DSCN4449_zpsntlo91eg.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks guys!

This dash was a little tough to replicate with the white gauge faces & red speedo numbers.

It's pretty hard to see them, but what rudimentary numbers there are, are red.

The clock is just a piece of sprue sanded & shaped to mimic the real one with a cast clock face.

Not real happy with the clock face, but it'll do.

Steve

Terrific work on that dash and steering wheel! Amazing what careful detail painting and foilwork can do for these old annual kits.

As I recall, the speedometer face in the '61 Buicks, and maybe the '60s, was a mirror that reflected the image to the driver of the actual gauges embedded in the dash below it. Kinda gimmicky, but fun to look at!

Terrific work on that dash and steering wheel! Amazing what careful detail painting and foilwork can do for these old annual kits.

As I recall, the speedometer face in the '61 Buicks, and maybe the '60s, was a mirror that reflected the image to the driver of the actual gauges embedded in the dash below it. Kinda gimmicky, but fun to look at!

Yes, the '61s at least, were mirrored.

They spent a lot of time back in this era to come up with new funky "Gimmicks".

But they were kind of cool.

I think I would have had a heck of a time recreating this particular speedometer with absolute accuracy! ^_^

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

The 1960 was also mirrored.  I owned one.  The speedometer had a cylinder in it that was half black and half red. As you sped up the cylinder turned to fill a clear slot on the speedo face so that it appeared that the line filled up below the speed numbers.  It was an interesting effect, way cool in 1960!   Unfortunately this was mechanical and prone to problems.  I had to send mine to a speedometer shop in the hobby to be rebuilt.

Yep, and the mirror could be tilted with a thumbwheel to get the best angle for the driver. Nice idea, but did any of you Buick owners have trouble with reflections or glare at night?