Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tres T/As ,, 3 '79 TransAms. Green one painted and decaled.

Can-Con

Been wanting to do a few '79s in different colors than the silver 10th anniversary car for quite a while. The recent re-release with the 3 different color decals has made that possible.

One will be dark red or burgundy with the red decals, red interior

One will be dark blue with the blue decals, blue interior

And the last will be dark green with the gold decals and beige interior.

Probably going to be curbside builds concentrating on looks over detail.

IMG 1818

Edited by Can-Con

The first one's now in BIN primer.

After glueing all the body parts together, I shot a light coat of Duplicolor grey primer and wet sanded it out to find the areas in need of attention. After puttying up the low spots, it was again wet sanded .

IMG 1820

IMG 1821

Then shot with a couple coats of Zinzer BIN.

IMG 1822

IMG 1823

The sharp-eyed may notice there's a dip in the top of the taillight opening. This seems to be in all the kits. After these pics were taken I used an old #11 blade to scrape the area until it was the correct shape.

After it's dried a couple days I'll wet sand it smooth with 3500 grit and shoot some silver on it to detect any other places that need to be fixed before the color is applied.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sprayed all 3 sets of glass earlier today and will clearcoat them in a day or two before installing on the first one. Nice thing about '79 T/As is the trim was usually black instead of chrome so no foiling to be done.
IMG 1832

IMG 1833

Also have the second one ready for some primer. This will be the green one with T-tops and tan interior. I cut out the openings and added a piece of sheet plastic underneath to form a lip.

IMG 1829

IMG 1830

I trimmed down an old set of hatches from the Monogram 1/24 kit to fit the openings. They'll get a dark tint using Tamiya "smoke".

IMG 1831

• 1 month later...