Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Ford Fairlane Sleeper

Dragfreak

I recently finished my 2015 cannonball run project. I started off with the Revell 1964 Ford Fairlane thunderbolt street rod kit that I picked up for $10. I had to do quite a bit to tone down the "muscle car" feel it has. The first thing I did was order a stock flat resin hood for it, as the kit comes with a teardrop hood. When I was deciding upon a paint color, I didn't want something flashy so I chose Testors Hunter Green. I did some research on weathering and I decided to use the salt method, acrylic washes, and heat to add dents in the body. I decided to keep the interior pretty basic, I scratch built a roll cage out of K&S aluminum, went with a mostly black and some hints of the body color green on the seat inserts and dash. The rollcage was a struggle, I didn't really have to build one, but I wanted to challenge myself to build one that can't be seen from the outside. I hid all of the bars behind the A,B, and C pillars, and tucked it up real tight inside the roof. To help, I used automotive tint on the windows, 5% vlt limo tint. To be honest, I surprised myself with it, the roll cage came out much better than I thought it would. The chassis I also wanted to keep clean, I didn't want a whole lot of color so I went with a simple semi-gloss black. The ladder bars, leaf springs, 9" housing and third member are all semi gloss with "moroso" style coil over shocks, the front suspension is the same story, mostly semi-gloss black with a aftermarket style sway bar in which I weathered and some scratch built coil over shocks out of K&S aluminum wrapped in red wire. I wanted this thing to look like it underwent a frame off restoration, but they left the body alone. The engine and transmission are both kit pieces, On the 427, I just detailed what was already there. I added details like dipsticks on both the engine and transmission, battery cable to the starter and wiring to the alternator, a correctly wired to spec distributor and coil, throttle linkage and a return spring, as well as an aluminum fuel line including A/N fittings and braided hose. All together it came out pretty good, I think it makes a pretty good sleeper that would pass as just an 'old beater.' I know it isn't my most detailed or the best quality, I focused more on just getting the body to look good as this was my first stab at a weathered model. If you do have any suggestions or advice, let me know, I appreciate getting feedback. On to the pictures! Edit: I was reminded that Stainless doesn't rust (I didn't think about that DOH!) so I'll make it a point to clean up the window trim, hubcap, windshield wipers and the grill which would be stainless on a 1:1 ^_^

Sleeper%20Fairlane_zpssxjlqyyk.jpg

sleeperfairlane16_zpsnjvnl9cg.jpg

sleeperfairlane3_zpshnqeby1l.jpg

sleeperfairlane2_zpswj9avwy2.jpg

sleeperfairlane15_zpsnesz4efa.jpg

sleeperfairlane12_zpsjb7t6a4v.jpg

sleeperfairlaneinterior_zpszvqzu4jn.jpg

sleeperfairlaneengine_zpsdnmgslxp.jpg

Edited by Dragfreak

This is my kind of build! Very Nice! Great Work!!

Thank you Brian, I'm very happy with the results being it was my first attempt at a weathered model, I'm sure that with more practice I can refine my skills some more

Wow amazing job on the weathering!

Thank you Jason!

Hi Jason. Love the work on the rollcage, you nailed the intent of keeping it hidden.  Great looking sleeper, most people wouldn't give it a second glance, until they heard the 427 introduce itself ;)

I appreciate the feedback Sean, rather than use styrene for the rollcage like I usually do, I tried using aluminum tubing this time and I was very impressed with how much easier it was to form all of the bends and glue the structure together, I'll definitely use it again.

I like the way this turn out, I did one as a 4 door.....Cool look

Thanks, they're good looking cars, I plan on building another as a traditional street rod with a metallic paint job next

I wouldn't change a thing, it looks awesome!  Stainless may not rust but it does corrode.

That is true, I did go back and tone it down a little, I used a few coats of black washes to bring down the brightness of the chrome while leaving a little yellow rust color on it.

Very nice work Jason and congrats for getting your entry done early.

Thank you Jonathan, I couldn't believe how quick I finished it, I've been working full time over the summer since the school year ended which left me only about an hour a day to put some time in on it. All in all I think it came out good.

I love this, great job!

Thanks Mark L!

Looks like a potential Roadkill contender...looks great!

Thank you Mark S, I don't know if it has what it will take to win (probably not) but I agree that it is a contender for sure!

great job Jason. beautiful (?) weathering.

Thank you Al, it's been a while since I've completed anything, I haven't been able to spend much time on the board either, I have a little break from work and school right now, I hope to catch up upon some of the great builds I've been missing/missed.

Yep, the Scrub-o-let drivers will have a nice view of that round beautiful Ford taillights.

They sure will!  :D

• 2 weeks later...