Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hellers 1/8 Citroen Traction Avant

kpnuts

Hi all well here's tonight's bit, that steering rack was a real pain the ball joints are supposed to push through and be an interferance fit but I had us a dremell tool by hand to gradually open it up enough to get the ball joint through without it just falling back out again, very sloooow gentle work with lots of checking to make sure the ball joint didn't just fall through. got to paint it and weather it now, would have painted it first but it is a tight fit and wasn't sure it would slide through the shaft after it was painted will now use very thinned down paint and hopefully if I keep moving it as the paint dries it will remain working.

Hi all well this steering rack has driven me to hurling this against the wall, I've re-glued it on no less than a dozen times only for it to come off almost as soon as I turn it over, fingers crossed its on for good now, tried a test fit of the engine (I have to say it fitted before, but someone stood on one of the engine mounts (my fault I shouldnt have left it on the floor)when I took it off to do the breaks and clutch pedal linkages) now the engine dosnt lign up on that one so it will have to come off and see whats wrong with it.

Hi all well the body (the majority of it anyway is glued together) I cant recommend Roy's cd enough, I've referenced it often but here it is invaluable he shows you how to assemble the body as a separate part which will save a lot of hard work later on also if following his instructions the finished body is very tough.

there is however one very big problem with my model, which I don't know how I will get round  I couldn't resist trying the bonnet on and the air box is too high lifting the bonnet, that is going to be a real pain, not sure whats happening to be honest, I know I had it (the airbox ) in the wrong place originally but its where it should be now, the engine sits on the engine mount properly?

you can see from this pic the problem

Hi all well I've sorted the air intake problem and started filling and sanding the rear of the car, I would like to prime it so I can see what further filling and sanding will be needed but till Citroen France get back to me with either the colour code or the paint itself, I've no idea what primer to use, I don't want to prime it then have it all react with the top coat.

Hi all well I've added the rubber piping that goes between the wings and the body and I've started the front seats (see if this works before I do the rear ones) I'm going to try the marbelling effect I used on the Kwak Z1 a while ago only not going to have so much of it, so this is just the base colour which would show through from the cracked vynle (how do you spell vynel vynal ????)

Hi all here is tonights update (sorry if you're getting bored of this but its a mahoosive project, I don't think I'm half way through it yet) although I have to say I'm really enjoying it, I'm already planning what I'm going to do with the next one.

Hi all well started with some colour, you may notice not the colour I originally stated as I've given up on Citroen giving me the code (so now of course I will have to change the carpet colour :mad::mad:)
anyhoo here is the start of the rusting (lots more work to be done on it, but I think its a good starting point)

Hi all well after a disasterous reaction on the paintwork on this I've sorted it (will never be a great job but is ok as an old jalopy) did a bit more staining of the doors and the bodywork and added some rust effects to the black paintwork, still a long way to go on it but is starting to look better now.

Hi all I was checking some of the pictures, one advantage of that is looking at pictures of things 2 and sometimes 3 times bigger than the actual thing you see faults you wouldnt see on the actual item, like for instance a lot of the flat areas of rust are, just that flat, no blistering and no reason to be rust coloured, so I,ve fixed that and dulled the doors and bodywork down and started blending panels and adding general grime (I must say I'm quite pleased with the results so far) if things carry on like this I think the finished thing will look quite realistic (of course having said that I will no probably go and ruin it)

does anyone know how to dull down and dirty the windows and windscreen? all tip welcome.