Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stock 4x4 wheels and tires

I'm converting the Mobius 69 F 100 to a 4x4 using parts from the AMT 78 4x4. I don't like the old AMT Firestone tires. Is there a kit or aftermarket company that has a decent set of stock size tires and steel wheels? I've been able to find Super Swamper type tires, but that's not what I want for this build.

• 3 months later...

Fireball just brought out a set of period-correct bias ply tires for the Moebius kits, though they might be a bit more appropriate for a 2wd. The BFG tires they sell are nice, but too new for a factory-stock model if that's what you're going for. The majority of tires out there are either in the same league as the Swampers (too much tire for what you want) or too new (ie- radials). Some of the '90's AMT/Ertl pickup kits came with old MPC bias-type tires, but those are about on par with the tires included in the Super Stones kit. 

The Goodyear Suburbanite tires would be a good choice, and they will fit the Moebius wheels after you remove the webbing from inside the tire and the "paddle" ribs from the wheel. They'd also be a lot closer to the mark for a period look. These tires come with the MPC WW2 jeep, MPC Pacer (but only one pair in the Pacer), or can be purchased molded in soft rubber from Scenes Unlimited. You could use the kit wheels, just add a lockout to the front hubs. I'm not aware of any existing five-lug steel wheels which include a lockout hub (at least not any that are currently available), but cutting the hubs from the centers of the AMT '79 Bronco (as one example) is very workable. 

Fireball just brought out a set of period-correct bias ply tires for the Moebius kits, though they might be a bit more appropriate for a 2wd. The BFG tires they sell are nice, but too new for a factory-stock model if that's what you're going for. The majority of tires out there are either in the same league as the Swampers (too much tire for what you want) or too new (ie- radials). Some of the '90's AMT/Ertl pickup kits came with old MPC bias-type tires, but those are about on par with the tires included in the Super Stones kit. 

The Goodyear Suburbanite tires would be a good choice, and they will fit the Moebius wheels after you remove the webbing from inside the tire and the "paddle" ribs from the wheel. They'd also be a lot closer to the mark for a period look. These tires come with the MPC WW2 jeep, MPC Pacer (but only one pair in the Pacer), or can be purchased molded in soft rubber from Scenes Unlimited. You could use the kit wheels, just add a lockout to the front hubs. I'm not aware of any existing five-lug steel wheels which include a lockout hub (at least not any that are currently available), but cutting the hubs from the centers of the AMT '79 Bronco (as one example) is very workable. 

The wheels in the Jeep kit you reference Chuck could probably be modified to represent the lockout hubs if necessary. Hopefully Fireball will have some bias ply 4wd tires soon, along with wheels, as he hinted as much when the subject was brought up last month.

That suburbanite 8.45-15 tire is a great looking tire. My lone surviving original scales out to a 27-28" OD, a tad on the small side but passable. Hope fully some original style tires in the 30-32" range  will be brought to market.

mike