Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monthly Get Together

I started a thread about seminars (see how to seminars on this site), and got a great response from Raul Perez, one of the premium builders showing his work here. Anyhow, anyone local, Campbell or San Jose Ca. area interested in a monthly get together for pizza/pasta and beer to brain pick these experianced builders? :lol: I think that it would be great to be able to spend some 1 on 1 time with these guys. If interested, PM me, or reply here. If enough interest is shown, I'll try to set up the first session. Anything after that would be up to the rest of you. Nothing formal, just a bull**** ses ;) sion to listen and learn.

what day do you see doing this, or do you mean evening after work?

i am a ways away but if it were on a weekend at a reasonable hour, like 11am or so, i might be able to make it. i dont think i would drive all the way there and back during the week.

i will keep an eye peeled to this thread and see how it goes.

Hey Bill...come on down!! B) Yeah, it'll have to be on a weekend for Curt, Jerry and myself as well. If you want, you can meet up with me and Jerry in Tracy. That way we can save a bit on the gas tab. If you're coming, maybe we can even get Hossain to join in on the fun. He lives somewhat near you in Folsom. We'll make a day of it, including the always requisite trip to D&J Hobby just to see what they have that needs to follow us home.

Hey Milt, it's time to start plannin' the party! :P

Guest roadkill2525

I would like to do this but logistics and finances won't allow me, I don't have a source of income and the Camaros engine is starting to be questionable.

Hey Bill...come on down!! :P Yeah, it'll have to be on a weekend for Curt, Jerry and myself as well. If you want, you can meet up with me and Jerry in Tracy. That way we can save a bit on the gas tab. If you're coming, maybe we can even get Hossain to join in on the fun. He lives somewhat near you in Folsom. We'll make a day of it, including the always requisite trip to D&J Hobby just to see what they have that needs to follow us home.

Hey Milt, it's time to start plannin' the party! :P

O.K. guys, your on. I'm retired so anytime, or any day, that works for you, works for me. ;) D&J Hobby is 5 minutes from my place and only 5-10 minutes from a good pizza/pasta place. If you can get here, lunch will be on me, and of course the requisite brew or two. And don't give me any C%*& about it. A cheap price to pay for the knowledge that I will gain. Just wish that some other "newbies" would like to take part. B)

Milt

I'd be interested. With people talking about such distances, Menlo Park isn't so far.

BUT I have to add something. D&J HOBBY. I don't know if you guys got a chance to get in there while you were down for NNLWest, but the model selection is WAY DOWN. With Randy and (I can't remember the other guy's name) leaving, the model car selection is down to one section on both sides. From what, six sections? And yes, I now have far more car models than D&J. Kind of sad.

The guys left don't seem very interested in model cars either. Now with San Antonio Hobby gone and D&J like this, ordering online shines.

Just so you are aware.

BUT I have to add something. D&J HOBBY. I don't know if you guys got a chance to get in there while you were down for NNLWest, but the model selection is WAY DOWN. With Randy and (I can't remember the other guy's name) leaving, the model car selection is down to one section on both sides. From what, six sections? And yes, I now have far more car models than D&J. Kind of sad.

The guys left don't seem very interested in model cars either. Now with San Antonio Hobby gone and D&J like this, ordering online shines.

Yeah Ron, we've been there. You're right, it's sad to see how much they've shrunken the model selection. The "other guy" who everyone went to for many years to get answers and advice about modeling is Al Airnat (not sure of the spelling).

The other hobby shop "in the area" that closed just before Christmas last year was Wold's in Dublin. We've now got a Hobbytown USA where I live in Tracy, but they're struggling as well. I buy as much as I can from them, even though it costs a bit more, just to help them stay in business.

Anyway...we'll get Milt to setup the meeting for sometime in the next few weeks.

I'd be interested. With people talking about such distances, Menlo Park isn't so far.

Just so you are aware.

Ran into the 'other guy' from D&J, Alan Ernat at NNL West, he stated that D&J was starting to change before he left...Randy left before Alan.

Randy currently works at a hobby shop (can't recall name) next to Cambrian Bowl in the Cambrian Park Plaza in San Jose. He told us that they are increasing the model car selection and supplies...hopefully feeding off us that find D&J no longer the model haven it once was - sad

I have not been to the Randys hobby shop yet, but plan on dropping by soon

curt

Thats a bit far for me, SF Bay Area is pretty much an over night trip for me these days, but mentioning hobby shops, you still have Hobbies Unlimited on Hesperian in San Lorenzo. Although he is going to be moving across town soon if he hasn't already. Like Wolds the rent went way up, but unlike Wolds Al decided to move instead of shut down.

It's a smallish shop, but well stocked with cars, military, aircraft, model RR, RC etc and unlike many hobby shops he actually carries Model Cars Magazine. :D The owner has had the place for 20+ years (at least as long as I can remember), and he worked in the shop as a kid eventually buying the place from the old owner. Its one of the few "old time" hobby shops I know of still in the Bay Area where you can hear old guys standing around to rave or bitch about kits.

He's moving next door to Porky's Pizza for those who know San Lorenzo, Porky's is pretty good too.

Ran into the 'other guy' from D&J, Alan Ernat at NNL West, he stated that D&J was starting to change before he left...Randy left before Alan.

Randy currently works at a hobby shop (can't recall name) next to Cambrian Bowl in the Cambrian Park Plaza in San Jose. He told us that they are increasing the model car selection and supplies...hopefully feeding off us that find D&J no longer the model haven it once was - sad

I have not been to the Randys hobby shop yet, but plan on dropping by soon

curt

That's it! Alan! Thanks! CRS slowly creeping in...

I'm pretty sure I've got the flyer at home from Randy. I'll check the address...

D and J Hobbies started going downhill just about the time I left (5+years ago). There were some major changes that were happening. Some departments were spending more than what their monthly allotment allowed. The model department was getting handicapped when I was working there since we couldn't order as much since the other departments were ordering more than they could sell.

Al and I are really good friends. He left when I was working there, then came back. This last time he left was because they were cutting his hours plus other problems.

I was at D and J when I went to the NNL West. They had moved the model department into the train section. Nothing organized in that department. The paint stock is in shambles and also they only have one section of car models. The selection they have is pretty pitiful. The people working in the model department do not have a clue about their products. They don't even know what they have in stock. I ended up having to help one of their customers find a kit and the paint needed for the kit after the employee told the customer that there was no kit of that car ever made. There were 5 or 6 of these kits on the shelves. Then the employee was telling him not to use this type of paint since it was not good. (Tamiya's paint) He was trying to put him onto a more expensive brand that he would need an airbrush for. The customer was a casual builder. At that point the employee was rather pissed at me.

I would go back to them if they would get their department into better shape since I still have friends who work in other departments there. It just frustrating to see something go so far down since the time I left.

Thats a bit far for me, SF Bay Area is pretty much an over night trip for me these days..

Hey Aaron,

Would you be interested in a monthly get together in Tracy? Jerry and I have been talking to the owner of our LHS about sponsoring a monthly meeting in his store, probably a Saturday or Sunday thing...

That's pretty sad news about D&J. I haven't been there in years and Al was there the last time I went. Sounds like my time is better spent looking online than through their store, which was quite the opposite many years ago.

San Antonio was pretty crappy the last few times I went before their closing, too. It stunk like BO and a lot of the workers seemed like random people off the street that knew nothing of what they were selling. At least they had decent stock and the other stuff they carried kept the wife busy (very important!).

Hobbytown USA in San Carlos wasn't bad when they were open. The guy who ran it said there just wasn't enough business in that area, and the other H-town he ran further south(?) was doing twice the sales.

Not much left for us North bay folks except overpriced Franciscan who I go to just because I've known some of those guys since 1983, and Talbot's if I'm really desperate for a new release. I've resorted to ordering styrene stock from Tower Hobbies for my scratchbuilding needs. Hobby Engineering in Millbrae supposedly carries a full line of Alumilite, Evergreen, and Plastruct products but the guy never answers his email or phone. I went there twice and the store was closed. Oh well, to someone else my money goes.

<snip>

Not much left for us North bay folks except overpriced Franciscan who I go to just because I've known some of those guys since 1983, and Talbot's if I'm really desperate for a new release. I've resorted to ordering styrene stock from Tower Hobbies for my scratchbuilding needs. Hobby Engineering in Millbrae supposedly carries a full line of Alumilite, Evergreen, and Plastruct products but the guy never answers his email or phone. I went there twice and the store was closed. Oh well, to someone else my money goes.

I don't know where you are, Ron, but J&M Hobby at 1660 Laurel St. in San Carlos has a pretty good paint selection, along with some Plastruct and other supplies. A fair selection of kits, too. And a bunch of stuff for the wife to go through. Pretty cool OLD store. I used to ride my Sting Ray to this place.

I just put in a Tower order this morning. My recent experience is that it will be here tomorrow. At least it is painless...

Edited by Ronster

There is a Hobby Town in San Jose on Blossom Hill Road. I had to go there to get some Tamiya pearl white paint for a 53 Corvette that I am doing. D&J Hobby had minimal paint choices and nothing but excuses about late suppliers etc...Hobby Town seemed to have a decent selection of models, some after market items, and a lot of air brush supplies. Seemed to have a pretty good paint inventory as well, both rattle can and air brush.I guess Hobby Town will become my new LHS.

Hey Guys, Milt just sent me a note about the idea of a get-together... Count me in! Just tell me when and where and if possible I'll make it.

Sorry, I haven't kept up on the message boards in a while... I have no clue whats going on anymore!

Randy V. works at the Slot Cars Unlimited shop (at least I think thats the name). He's slowly but surely bringing in the kits, paints and supplies. He's shown the owner that there is a market for it. His shop is usually my first stop lately!

What about meeting at the Good-Guys show on March 29-30?

No, that's the one GoodGuys show each year that I usually can't make it to. That's usually the weekend that we celebrate my wife's birthday. I'm pretty sure that Curt said he can't make it that weekend either. But, I'd bet that Jerry Cardinal will be there!

Hey Guys, Milt just sent me a note about the idea of a get-together... Count me in! Just tell me when and where and if possible I'll make it.

Sorry, I haven't kept up on the message boards in a while... I have no clue whats going on anymore!

Randy V. works at the Slot Cars Unlimited shop (at least I think thats the name). He's slowly but surely bringing in the kits, paints and supplies. He's shown the owner that there is a market for it. His shop is usually my first stop lately!

R/C Unlimited Hobbies (per the flyer Randy handed out).

14910 Camden Ave. San Jose 408-377-3771

I need to check it out.

Hey Aaron,

Would you be interested in a monthly get together in Tracy? Jerry and I have been talking to the owner of our LHS about sponsoring a monthly meeting in his store, probably a Saturday or Sunday thing...

I work weekends, so I couldn't make it every month but I'd be up for taking the day off here and there. Saturdays work better for me, but sundays could be worked out. Tracy is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours so a bit more reasonable for a day out. The Bay Area can easily become 5-6 hours each way with traffic, about 4 in the dead of night.

I wasn't aware of a hobby shop in Tracy, I occasionally stop into one on Bang Ave in Modesto, but that is all I know of until you hit the Hobby Town in Fresno. I'd be hurting if it wasn't for Tower and Model Roundup, gotta love the internet when you live in the boonies. <_<

I work weekends, so I couldn't make it every month but I'd be up for taking the day off here and there. Saturdays work better for me, but sundays could be worked out. Tracy is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours so a bit more reasonable for a day out. The Bay Area can easily become 5-6 hours each way with traffic, about 4 in the dead of night.

I wasn't aware of a hobby shop in Tracy, I occasionally stop into one on Bang Ave in Modesto, but that is all I know of until you hit the Hobby Town in Fresno. I'd be hurting if it wasn't for Tower and Model Roundup, gotta love the internet when you live in the boonies. :lol:

Aaron,

Send me a PM with your email address and we'll work out the details.

Later,