Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are model kits making a comeback? What gives?

I have no trouble waiting for kits. And most of you shouldn't either. We are model builders. Patience is what sets us apart... I have never been happier building, talking, living model cars. it's a great time to be a builder. Perhaps the best time i have ever known in this hobby. That's saying quite a lot.

Bob

That fact still remains that people were building models, and model of self propelled vehicles, long before there were plastic kits, and it's safe to say that some people will continue to do so long after the only place you can see a car is in a museum....

Agreed.

Who said otherwise?

"

"Agreed.

Who said otherwise?"

YES! People will always build miniatures, but probably not model cars. Jeez, already most modeling subjects are from...the last century!

It's going to compare to, for example, building models of horse drawn coaches before long.

Again, the MODEL CAR hobby is better than ever! ENJOY IT WHILE WE CAN!

YES! People will always build miniatures, but probably not model cars. Jeez, already most modeling subjects are from...the last century!

It's going to compare to, for example, building models of horse drawn coaches before long.

Ummm...the "last century" was only 15 years and some change back. It's not as if we're going to see matter-transfer booths as ubiquitous personal transportation any time soon.;)

Bill, the "last century" might as well be ten thousand years ago to anyone under thirty. That's the nature of being young.

Plus, as I said, the 60's were FIFTY years ago! The new 65 Plymouth is a model of a FIFTY YEAR OLD CAR!!

It's pretty clear it's for us boomers, not kids!!

Again, I think the hobby is at a peak! I'm not sure what everyone seems to be disagreeing about here! :o

True mike. Seems like the middle class standard of living is declining, it's possible only the wealthy will afford cars in the future.

and you are right, people weren't making models as a hobby, withe possible exception of ship models.

Actually while poverty is still a serious issue, middle class affuence has increased remarkably around the world in the last few decades....look at the addresses of some of our members here.  For example, I stumbled on a Vietnamese model web site recently..excellent models and lots of enthuasism.

Correct Mike. I should have said in the United States. I do think the prosperity around the world id both wonderful and short lived. BUT that's an entirely different subject, not appropriate for here.

agreed re: appropriateness.  

my comment was more about the health of the hobby, more people getting involved  :)

I think there is a flaw in some folks' perceptions that all muscle cars were evil handling barges incapable of road-course work. The 1969 Trans Am series was quite something to watch, with Z-28 Camaros, Boss 302 Mustangs and assorted Pontiac, AMC and even the occasional Mopar products all battling head to head on some of the most demanding road circuits in the world.

And notice please...these guys are 'drifting'...not slowboating-showboating drifting, but balls-out fastest-way-around-the-course drifting.

NOTE: Historical trivia. At the time these films were shot, most Americans were not grossly overweight.

Trans Am Camaro' Mustangs, etc. where "PONY cars" and not muscle cars. MUSCLE cars where intermediate bodies such as Tempests, Cutlass, Chevelle, Satellite, Coronet, etc. with a big engine and very little frills and to be affordable to the MASSES.

Yes , I agree. The hobby is making a come back. For several reasons as you have stated. I feel that the largest resurgence is the fact that the boomers are retiring and looking for a hobby. A hobby which they already know. ( I am a boomer myself) These old has beens are looking for something to do besides dyeing at an early age ( just kidding). They are trying to re-claim their youth. Who can blame them. I want to spend my time in my retirement building models. I want to be young again too.

Trans Am Camaro' Mustangs, etc. where "PONY cars" and not muscle cars. MUSCLE cars where intermediate bodies such as Tempests, Cutlass, Chevelle, Satellite, Coronet, etc. with a big engine and very little frills and to be affordable to the MASSES.

I'm a very bad bad ignorant man for using that term incorrectly.

Thank you for teaching me the one and only true meaning of the term "muscle car". :D

Actually Bill, I think he;s correct on the muscle car thing.

A lot of these carved-in-stone definitions were apparently agreed on long after the time the cars were actually being built and horsed around by people like me. I wasn't party to the committee that officially named them...nor do I have any interest in arguing about it.;)

The officially designated "muscle cars" had suspensions almost identical to, and sharing parts and geometries in many cases with, their "pony car" stable mates.

To make a blanket statement that muscle cars were totally incapable of road-course use is just wrong...and that's what I was responding to. With relatively minor mods, the old boats CAN be made to handle very respectably.B)

Ad uh...oh yeah...if you go the full pro-touring route and take some weight out, you can make them handle as well as anything on the planet. I'd kinda forgotten that the original idea behind this old build of mine was to do an outlaw street-racer suitable for a video game...trying to make it appeal to both ends of the age spectrum simultaneously, ya' know?

DSCN5579.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Wow!  There  were  a lot of great stories, and excellent statements as to why the model kit industry is booming ! A member commented on how younger generations are not attracted to many of the American muscle/ hot rods of the 50s, 60s,70s, I wonder how Factual that is. I don't think American model companies are building modern sports cars because they aren't as popular with the older generations which have a bigger  influence In this hobby. I can see how this industry can go into a downward spiral once baby boomers are long gone. I wonder if they will attempt to build modern muscle once model companies see this change in demographic. Nonetheless I'm going to enjoy this great era were in to the fullest!    

I can tell you that when I was substitute-teaching, most of the kids I was talking to were interested in either supercars or pre-1980 cars, with a smattering of other interests here and there. And trucks of all sizes and vintages. 

I think it would be wise to try and cater to both. Modern cars as snaps and less-complex (but still well-detailed) glue kits that will appeal to the broadest audience and older cars that will appeal more to adults, and possibly make good adult-apprentice projects.

Charlie Larkin

I think there is a flaw in some folks' perceptions that all muscle cars were evil handling barges incapable of road-course work. The 1969 Trans Am series was quite something to watch, with Z-28 Camaros, Boss 302 Mustangs and assorted Pontiac, AMC and even the occasional Mopar products all battling head to head on some of the most demanding road circuits in the world.

And notice please...these guys are 'drifting'...not slowboating-showboating drifting, but balls-out fastest-way-around-the-course drifting.

NOTE: Historical trivia. At the time these films were shot, most Americans were not grossly overweight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0OOSQPXT8

Wow yea your right , the cars seem to handle well, and the people seem to be in better shape lol. I guess we weren't filled up with so many Gmos and synthetiic chemicals back then . I always had this mindset that muscle cars were these uncontrollable beasts due to games, movies, etc. I shouldn't generalize every car and call it a " muscle car" , it's a little harder not too, since I was not born in that era. You are correct, muscle cars were production cars made straight from the dealership to be used  strictly for racing . 

Edited by ERIK88

That fact still remains that people were building models, and model of self propelled vehicles, long before there were plastic kits, and it's safe to say that some people will continue to do so long after the only place you can see a car is in a museum.

My point!  Where as the members of the peanut gallery show up to make snarky remarks to anything I post.

People have always created art relating to their lives and things that are of their experience. It's not about affluence, it's about creativity and skill with tools and materials that they possess.  Reference  Hobo Art and Prison Art, much of it ingenious in making due with what they could find.  

And to Harry's comment that the  self propelled steam carriage model from 1784 wasn't from a kit,  Mark Jones  GSL Grand Prize winning Caterham wasn't either... it was completely scratch built.  So are you saying that one isn't a legitimate model either?