Model Cars Magazine Forum

No model room...what to do.

So we are getting ready to move and my entire model room is in boxes.  It is a strange feeling knowing that I can't build anything.  But I can still buy kits for the never ending pile.  Any one else ever run into this situation?  How did you deal with it?

Fred

I just went through that exact situation.

You have to count the time you are down after all the projects, kits and tools are packed, plus moving time, then the time to set up in your new location.

This was almost three months for me.  Bummer.

But I did buy two new kits, a Hobbyco mat and a painting stand during that time

I built one of my best models ever on a pink board across my kitchen table.  I was between model rooms.  My original one was in unfinished shell space that was destined to be a master bedroom suite.  It took me over 6 months to finish it and move in, so the old bedroom could become the new model room.  

I was building towards a contest deadline, so every night I'd set up, clamp a lamp to the table and work a few hours.  At the end of each evening I packed it all up, and put the board on top of the refrigerator ( to keep small kids safe).  

I know guys who travel on business a lot and build in hotel rooms.  Where there's a will, there's a way!

I know of a guy that drives for his job and is on the road. He builds in hotel rooms and builds some nice stuff too... He is on my racing forum sites...

Me, I build at work on break, I have a fishing tackle bag (soft case) that I have all my tools, bottle paints etc. in so I can take it with. That and it also goes to build days we have around here. Most of my buil;ding at home goes on where I'm sitting and typing right now. Pooter desk in the living room!!!!! I cleaned my little, and I do mean little area that I call my model room so I "could" sit down there and build but!!!???....

Edited by DrKerry

I Use to build at my Kitchen Table

Then mother took over my side of it, and I have NO place to work

Computer "Desk" is Not even big enough for Monitor & keyboard!!!

Mother left the table Covered so badly it will take MONTHS to dig it out

so I can move back in there to build on.!!!

Oh yeah, Haven't Built a Complete Model in 3 YEARS!!!!!

Held them in my hands, even Started a few, but Not built!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan
additional info

When I first started building back in the 50's & 60's I probably used the kitchen table to build on or a TV tray, remember those? I've spray painted my cars outside, on the back porch, etc. I even remember putting newspapers on the bed and spraying over them. The bottom line is, do you want to build or not? If so, make do whatever means you can find.

While I now have a hobby room/den, I still don't have a spray booth as I don't really have the room for one, and I still use "rattle cans" even though I have a compressor and two air-brushes that I haven't used in I don't know how many years. Yet I still build, belong to a few model clubs, and enjoy NNL's. I build for myself and enjoy the hobby very much.

I still have a tool box and work surface for mobile building, although I rarely use it for that purpose anymore. During my last move I added about a dozen new kits and got the new model room set up ASAP. All the new old house projects kept me busy for months after moving in, unpacking the stash took a few more but at least in theory I was able to dribble glue on plastic within 2 months of moving.

Like racing, it all comes to how you approach the whole deal. I've done TV trays, a corner on the kitchen table, graduated to a writing desk then a big boy desk and so on.

Now that the tide has turned in my direction, I did this:

P.S. Sorry for the order of the pics. The second and third are the before pics. The first and last are the after.

20150915_134514.jpg

20150626_170743.jpg

20150626_170757.jpg

20150915_134444.jpg

Edited by Nytrozilla

Planning.

I don't just pick up a kit and say, "I'm gonna paint this blue" and get to building. Most of my work has a larger plan. So I create a list of the kits that I am the most interested in, and create a build plan. I make a list of parts that will be needed either to flesh out the plan or to correct kit inaccuracies or known kit issues. Acquiring those parts becomes the second step. When those are in hand, I'll start thinking about paint, Plastruct, detailing parts or whatever else I'll need to get the model done start to finish. 

Doing all this planning also help out during those times when we're watching our pennies at home for this reason or that, but because I planned and bought ahead of time, I've got everything I need. Mrs. Mattis appreciates that.

I tend not to buy new kits during this time. Moving can be a real downer because we have a need to be creative. Imagination needs an outlet. Planning future work helps me scratch that itch when I can't be at the bench.

This is what I am doing right now since my model room is being converted to a living room for my mother in law who will be moving in with us soon, I will then be converting my 10x15 shed into a model room which will be outside the house so that might work out ok for me if you get what I mean. lol

image.jpg

I work right where I'm at right now. Right in front of this monitor. about two feet wide and a foot deep, and often sprues are laid across the keyboard while I'm detail painting. There's six builds in progress stacked under the desk. the bulk of my parts (and the rest of my builds) are in the hall linen closet, nearly 250 of them and several organizers full of parts, boxes full of bagged tires and rims, a couple of boxes of GI Joes... twenty-plus years of hobby time stored away because two "spare" rooms were taken by family... but I STILL get to build, even in a two-foot square spot.

I moved 12 times in the 19 years i was married. It got to be a routine, get boxes, towels and cardboard and pack all 800 models. Upon unpacking there was always damage that had to be repaired. I would lay in a layer of cars, then towels, then cardboard, repeat until the box was full. The last 15 years i have been a model building bachelor in the same house and will never move again. I sympathize; find a niche to build no matter what. Moving is such a huge job I don't ever want to do it again so i bought the house a few years back.