Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best source for Ford - SOHC +/or modern Coyote motor

Just like the title states.,,,,,,,Whats the best source for either / both of the above engines ?

I have a project in mind and I cant decide if I want to go new powertrain or stick with old but cool looking

Edited by gtx6970

Though I don't have one yet, the 2013 Revell Mustang Boss 302 is said to have a good Coyote. Its 23 piece-count would tend to imply a well-detailed engine, and the IPMS review praises its appearance. 

Revell has had a couple of engine-scaling hiccups in the past few years though, (like the way too-large engine in the Dodge Magnum, the incorrect exhaust port spacing on the new '29 Ford / Buick nailhead engine, and the significantly too-long intake manifold on the new Starsky & Hutch Torino for example) so maybe someone else will chime in with more information.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...

All the AMT 33 Willys has the same blown 427 SOHC and it's a good one.
The MPC Mustang Gasser (Malco and other spinoffs) also has a decent blown 427 SOHC.
The AMT 68 Shelby Mustang and 66 Galaxie has dual carb 427 SOHC engines wich are usable.
There are more out there but I'll stop here.

Edited by Force

I know the Johan Maverick Pro Stocker has both Boss 429 and SOHC in it.  The SOHC valve covers are very nice, as are the Dominator carbs.  It seems to have a good amount of detail, but it's been ages since I built one of them.  I can do more looking at home if you want more specifics.  There is also a review of the Maverick and Comet pro stockers in the kit review category, from a few weeks ago.

Thanks for all the leads fellas. I am leaning more towards a modern Coyote motor for this project.

Although I havent completey ruled out a SOHC yet either.  But  ' IF ' I go that route,,,,,,It will be carberated / naturally asperted ( dont want anything poking thru the hood )