Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 1964 Mercury Marauder

Againmikewins

I bought this kit back in 2001. I dug this kit outta my mom's garage a couple weeks ago. I had originally painted it with a Testors Red and didn't like how it looked. It spent some time in the purple pond (you may begin to see a trend here) and I stripped and sanded it all down. 

I sprayed it with Duplicolor Primer/Sealer and will sand it down tomorrow and spray the second coat. In currently undecided on what color I should do this car in! I've been researching it like crazy and just can't choose one. Hopefully I'll figure that out soon. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1bab69a8a41376581bb5a81image.thumb.jpeg.8d8b251f6626e5cb8d44ee9image.thumb.jpeg.7b08485d8a7e52f7bc6bd86image.thumb.jpeg.ba13c33861cf49c120384b5

Another great old kit.... Get some foam fingernail sanding sticks at Wal Mart and sand out those mold lines on the top of the rear fenders. Doing so will really make a difference when you are done. I have one on the shelf and I did not sand them and it drives me crazy. 

As for color, I prefer darker colors on these boats, and red... but you been there.

images (5).jpg

0901phr_10_z+1964_mercury_marauder+side_view.jpg

Peacock for something a bit different? I'd go with white for the interior. 

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1964-Mercury-pg01.jpg

http://oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Mercury/1964-Mercury/1964_Mercury_Full_Size_Brochure/1964-Mercury-Full-Size-19 

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Another great old kit.... Get some foam fingernail sanding sticks at Wal Mart and sand out those mold lines on the top of the rear fenders. Doing so will really make a difference when you are done. I have one on the shelf and I did not sand them and it drives me crazy. 

As for color, I prefer darker colors on these boats, and red... but you been there.

images (5).jpg

0901phr_10_z+1964_mercury_marauder+side_view.jpg

Are you talking about the side shots of the body, where the line runs right through where it says "Park Lane"?

For a '64 Merc, you almost have to go with "Bittersweet" don't you?

Definitely the most unusual color for '64.

Although, it's not for everyone! ^_^

Steve

photo ef845d1b13_zpswmsdrp6h.jpg

I actually agree with you on it!

That peacock color looks good, too! 

Am I actually able to purchase paint off of that first website site??

this mold line here.....

as for your paint, if going with a solid color, try WalMart again, or Lowes or Home Depot. Check the Krylon colors out, they have something very close to Peacock. Also, Hobby Lobby or Michaels carry Krylon Short cuts. I have had very good luck with Krylon paints on my kits.

I have not tried the "2x" cover paints, so I am not sure what to say bout them.

image.jpeg.40fb463353c5febcfa9b20662edf3b9d.jpeg

download (48).jpg

indooroutdoor.png

this mold line here.....

as for your paint, if going with a solid color, try WalMart again, or Lowes or Home Depot. Check the Krylon colors out, they have something very close to Peacock. Also, Hobby Lobby or Michaels carry Krylon Short cuts. I have had very good luck with Krylon paints on my kits.

I have not tried the "2x" cover paints, so I am not sure what to say bout them.

image.jpeg.40fb463353c5febcfa9b20662edf3b9d.jpeg

download (48).jpg

indooroutdoor.png

thanks for the tip! I have a couple hours after work today that I can burn, so I'll try and find that color. 

Will Krylon play nice with Duplicolor primer? I've heard it's generally bad to mix brands. 

thanks for the tip! I have a couple hours after work today that I can burn, so I'll try and find that color. 

Will Krylon play nice with Duplicolor primer? I've heard it's generally bad to mix brands. 

The Duplicolor primer is fine because the Krylon is enamel

That peacock color looks good, too! 

Am I actually able to purchase paint off of that first website site??

I don't believe Auto Color Library's sponsoring site carries touch-up bottles or custom spray cans, but it won't hurt to ask.

I'd suggest ordering the paint from either MCW or Scale Finishes; if you don't have an airbrush and don't want one yet, I'd recommend a Preval sprayer, which many auto parts stores carry (usually NAPA, Parts Plus and similar franchised operations.) Also, many paint jobbers are now doing custom color cans and touch-up bottles. I can't think of anything in the Krylon line that's close to Peacock; Valspar, Ace or True Value's in-house lines might have something. If you don't have an airbrush, take advantage of Michael's 40-50% off coupons and grab one, or, if you have a good hobby shop nearby, try them. A Badger 250 is a great airbrush to start with- almost clog-proof and very easy to use. For the time being, use the Propel can. A couple of people have recommended the Campbell-Housefield (?) pancake compressor Wal-Mart has sold. I would recommend the Harbor Freight one, as they do work nicely when working, but the first one I had starting leaking, and the second one won't turn on for some reason, so I'm a bit reluctant to recommend it. 

All of those can be used safely over Dupli-Color Primer. I would recommend white because Dupli-Color's new "grey" sandable primer is, at leas to me, more of an off-black; again, many jobbers carry SEM sandable primer in a nice light grey. If you can obtain Plasti-Kote primer near you, I'd use that, as I've also had less trouble with their primer than Dupli-Color, which can sometimes be a bit "hot" chemically.

Charlie Larkin

I don't believe Auto Color Library's sponsoring site carries touch-up bottles or custom spray cans, but it won't hurt to ask.

I'd suggest ordering the paint from either MCW or Scale Finishes; if you don't have an airbrush and don't want one yet, I'd recommend a Preval sprayer, which many auto parts stores carry (usually NAPA, Parts Plus and similar franchised operations.) Also, many paint jobbers are now doing custom color cans and touch-up bottles. I can't think of anything in the Krylon line that's close to Peacock; Valspar, Ace or True Value's in-house lines might have something. If you don't have an airbrush, take advantage of Michael's 40-50% off coupons and grab one, or, if you have a good hobby shop nearby, try them. A Badger 250 is a great airbrush to start with- almost clog-proof and very easy to use. For the time being, use the Propel can. A couple of people have recommended the Campbell-Housefield (?) pancake compressor Wal-Mart has sold. I would recommend the Harbor Freight one, as they do work nicely when working, but the first one I had starting leaking, and the second one won't turn on for some reason, so I'm a bit reluctant to recommend it. 

All of those can be used safely over Dupli-Color Primer. I would recommend white because Dupli-Color's new "grey" sandable primer is, at leas to me, more of an off-black; again, many jobbers carry SEM sandable primer in a nice light grey. If you can obtain Plasti-Kote primer near you, I'd use that, as I've also had less trouble with their primer than Dupli-Color, which can sometimes be a bit "hot" chemically.

Charlie Larkin

I agree about the Duplicolor primer.

The gray is very dark.

In my opinion, it's only good for very dark colors.

The white is the way to go for either the Peacock or Bittersweet paint.

MCW carries the paint colors you need & the Preval sprayers, so if you don't have an airbrush, MCW would be your one stop shop.

Steve

I made a little progress tonight. I'm still undecided on the interior/exterior colors, but it's too humid to spray tonight. I'm leaning toward a couple different blue colors I've got. I'm not going to detail too much on this kit, seeing as everything is molded into the chassis, engine compartment and fire wall and I'm still a rookie. 

I black washed the grill and wheel covers using Vallejo Acrylic Black  I'm pretty happy with the outcome there. I also drew the white rings on the tires using an acrylic gel pen and a stencil. I'm not too pumped with those, so I'll probably soak them and start again. 

The engine block was painted with Testors Satin Black. The transmission and headers were painted with Model Masters aluminum. The valve covers that came with this kit were chrome plated, so I just went over them with Testors acrylic gold metallic. Finally, the air cleaner with Model Masters Ford Engine Blue. 

The chassis, firewall and other items were shot with Project Source flat black from a spray can. I think I paid $2 for it. I'm happy with the results. I'll detail those pieces later on. 

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions regarding the mold lines. I think I rubbed them out pretty good. Since I'm not doing a lighter color, I'll stick with the gray primer. Stay tuned!image.thumb.jpeg.ae948d6b081d822b9317058image.thumb.jpeg.622ec8a5750530f27a01023image.thumb.jpeg.3b75626812d4c7b7453651b

image.thumb.png.3889075a0e9e85a2dc2a79baimage.thumb.png.25e847eb39628aca18d32b3dI got some work done today on the body. Thanks for the advice about the mold lines! I wet sanded the primer with 1000 grit and nailed the mold lines with some 320. While spraying the final coat of primer, I dropped the hood on the floor. Now I've gotta sand down that mess! 

Heres the mold lines, at least. 

Well, I've got the first coat down! I went with Duplicolor Light Blue metallic, it looks pretty close to the '64 Mercury factory Glacier Blue and Tiffany Blue. I've got three projects that I've been working on and I'm happiest with this one. 

I'm wondering if this is too heavy for a "mist" coat?

image.thumb.jpeg.1b4a6a8feb9adbea8930edfimage.thumb.jpeg.b81a2a74945dacb93e7eca8image.thumb.jpeg.0b11e17aea587e1adf3a85b