Model Cars Magazine Forum

IHC Transtar CO-4090A WIP

This is a project that I have been working on for a long time. It is an IHC Transtar CO-4090A with the 12V71 engine. I added twin turbos to the engine to make it a 12V71TT. A pusher axle, a 4090 conversion cab, a bunch of bits and pieces from other kits and some Mark Savage rear tires, and still needing a LOT of detailing, such as weld beads, raising the headache rack to match the raised cab height, piping, hoses, and LOTS more miscellaneous details, and maybe some day it MAY reach somewhere near completion. But for now, it is fun to screw around with. The winch arrangement has been changed three times in the last 6 months. Someday, it may actually be what I want! Sure, you seldom see this type of truck as a COE, but, since I LOVE COE's, (and ANYTHING Detroit Diesel), this is where it starts!

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_5563.jpg

IMG_6078.jpg

Edited by redneckrigger

I found the conversion kit on eBay a few years ago, and couldn't resist it. I put it into my "to do" pile, and finally decided what "to do" with it! The 4090's were not very common at all. I actually saw one very close to me about a year and a half ago, and stopped to check it out. The poor thing was under about 8 feet of snow, but it was unmistakable as to what it was. After the snow melted, I went back to see it again, and found out that it had been sent to the scrapper.................about brought tears to my eyes! I talked to the guy who had it, and I guess it was a basket case, repowered with a 6-71N, (which was toast with a hole in the block and a rod peeking out), automatic trans, and fire gutted interior. So, he had dragged it home as parts for a 4070A that he had, took what he wanted, got it buried in snow, then scrapped it as soon as the snow melted. Still a crying shame. BUT, it kind of made up my mind to build the kit I had, and since I LOVE cabovers, (REALLY!!!), I figured it would make a unique model, as a heavy haul COE. Anyways, ANYTHING with a Detroit can't be half bad, right??? I absolutely loved driving the Detroits that I had over the years. Slam your thumb in the door when getting into them first thing in the morning, and drive 'em like you're PO'D at them, and they will run just fine! Absolutely unmistakable sound too...........simply wonderful.

Edited by redneckrigger

ha ha my dad always said that about the detriots .

he taught me : "keep your foot right into it, they love it "

then at a fuel stop I would go to check the oil and was reaching for the dipstick he said :

"no need of that ! just throw a gallon in it !"

I found the conversion kit on eBay a few years ago, and couldn't resist it. I put it into my "to do" pile, and finally decided what "to do" with it! The 4090's were not very common at all. I actually saw one very close to me about a year and a half ago, and stopped to check it out. The poor thing was under about 8 feet of snow, but it was unmistakable as to what it was. After the snow melted, I went back to see it again, and found out that it had been sent to the scrapper.................about brought tears to my eyes! I talked to the guy who had it, and I guess it was a basket case, repowered with a 6-71N, (which was toast with a hole in the block and a rod peeking out), automatic trans, and fire gutted interior. So, he had dragged it home as parts for a 4070A that he had, took what he wanted, got it buried in snow, then scrapped it as soon as the snow melted. Still a crying shame. BUT, it kind of made up my mind to build the kit I had, and since I LOVE cabovers, (REALLY!!!), I figured it would make a unique model, as a heavy haul COE. Anyways, ANYTHING with a Detroit can't be half bad, right??? I absolutely loved driving the Detroits that I had over the years. Slam your thumb in the door when getting into them first thing in the morning, and drive 'em like you're PO'D at them, and they will run just fine! Absolutely unmistakable sound too...........simply wonderful.

Talk about corporate down sizing, a 12v-71 to a 6-71N with an automatic, no wonder it slung a rod.

• 1 month later...

Well, the last time I posted anything on this WIP, I shortly thereafter got to thinking about changing it to a 6x8 with a powered front axle. I had just recovered from right hand surgery when I restarted this build, but now I have been laid up again for a bit with rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder, so now I can only work half-fast (!!!) with one hand. So, now I am really at a slow speed. But, with that one hand, I have been able to destroy about 20% of what I had completed so far, as I DID decide to go with the 6x8. I cut all of the rear suspension free as it must be raised to accommodate the new front axle height. I cut the pusher axle free. I dug out an old Mark Savage powered front axle and cut the IHC front axle away and have made the preparations to attach the Savage axle in place. Gonna use the same rear tires with Savage two hole wheels, and Savage traction floats in front with Savage two holers as well. ( I have a HUGE amount of Mark Savage's old resin items, perhaps the best that I have ever seen). Turning into a typical project for me..................two steps forward and five in reverse! But, fun is the key thing here, and I'm having loads of it! Happy New Year to all and many new projects to come for all!

Tom,

Hope you take care to mend slowly.

As for the model. I knew I shoulda kept my idea to myself ! lol hey go for it. The whole idea of model building in my mind is to relax and enjoy.

Changing a project  is par for the course.. I get my enjoyment , satisfaction ,and relaxation from my time at the workbench. Building modifying or whatever.

Though I do not enjoy the finite detailing that some people do so well. I do try to build a clean model.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks for the good words, guys! I don't have much choice than to behave myself. My wife is a Paramedic, and she works at my gun shop. Her threats as to what can happen to me if I DON'T behave and do what the doc says are scary indeed!

Yeah, I enjoy the time at the bench. It is relaxing even if some days, like the last four or five, end up in a net gain of NEGATIVE results. But, it's getting closer to completion, and IF I can finish it the way it is going now without further revision, it may get done in a year or two! I also leave the ultra fine details for the guys with the young eyes and flexible fingers. I'm happy to have it turn out like I imagined, and heck, I only build to please myself. I gave up trying to please others years ago back when I went to the NNL East every year. But, even that experience gave me inspiration to build, but to build the way I want to, not for anything else.  Cheers, keep the projects going! Tom

Edited by redneckrigger

Z

2Q==

Z

2Q==

Finally implemented the idea that I had a while ago............converting my work-in-progress to a 6x8 with a powered front axle. Got the axle, a Mark Savage piece, installed as shown in the photos above. Instead of raising the suspension to install the driven axle, I did it the way we had one of our fire trucks converted, by replacing the front of the frame with straight frame rails in place of the drop down front frame extension in the regular CO-4070 or 4090. Gave the frame a squirt of primer, and here is a mock-up that HOPEFULLY will continue towards completion instead of the three steps forward, five in reverse that is my typical approach! Lots more to do, but on the way, once more.

Thanks for the good words from all! I actually started doing the front axle add-on by simply removing the stock front axle and replacing with the driven. But, the driven axle is straight and does not have the drop ends and would raise the front of the truck by 9/32". THAT would require putting a 9/32" lift onto the rear driven axles and the pusher. So, I DID that but it looked lousy, and spindly. It also raised the fifth wheel height to way beyond usable. Then I remembered an AWD conversion we had on one of our fire trucks, also a 'Binder. The original frame had a drop down front, as does the 4070 basis for this build. The conversion on our truck took the entire front of the frame off, and replaced it with straight frame extensions. This allowed installation of the straight front driven axle without need for raising the rear suspension. It did however, make the cab height higher. So, the raised rear suspension came off and went back into the parts box. The razor saw came out and off came her front frame. I then used a parts frame from another 4070 to make up the full depth straight extension, complete with fish plated joints. The stock height rear suspension went back on where it WAS before my brain storm, and the front axle went to her new home. All of the standard shocks and torque arms went BACK on and I splashed a coat of Mr. Surfacer primer on it. NOW, I think it looks the part of what I intended it to be in the first place. Just finished making an oscillating fifth wheel for her. Now the piping and wiring is next. I figure if I took all of the time I have spent on this and converted it ALL into POSITIVE gains made, I'd have this one done and probably the next two as well! But, THAT is the fun of this hobby. I only build for myself, and so far, I am hitting the mark! Cheers to all!