Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo AMT Kit...1st build in over 20 years

jasoncardenas21

Well, I'll just say this. I haven't done a model in over 20 years and thanks in advance to all of the users on this forum. I've gotten so much information and tips from you guys. A few weeks back my co-worker tells me that he has 4 models still brand new that have been sitting in his basement for many years. He said we would draw out of a hat and have a contest, so of course I was game. I drew the AMT Chevy Monte Carlo and ran with it. What a fun project and I am definitely looking forward to getting back into this hobby.

First use of foil ever. I actually used the foil tape that you can get at a hardware store to tape pipes. I live in a town of 3000 and have to make due with what options I have.

IMG_6695_zpssrmhoawq.jpg

Interior

IMG_6718_zps1dujfkqu.jpg

IMG_6742_zpsykmxmsak.jpg

IMG_6686_zps9jq5spps.jpg

Engine Top...Not happy with the wires and distributor. Used a paperclip for the distributor post and heat shrink

IMG_6781_zpsaiwqizff.jpg

Engine Bottom

IMG_6780_zps4ogyfgwj.jpg

First attempt at a vinyl roof. Used 1 1/2" masking tape, painted white then cut with x-acto

IMG_6749_zpsmfliigpb.jpg

IMG_6744_zpsnmr69cos.jpg

Racing stripes cut by me

IMG_6760_zpsxdmxxsdx.jpg

IMG_6759_zpsc37uqy0h.jpg

Did some customization so I could fit some wheels, tires and disc brakes up front that I had from a Tamiya 911 kit from years ago that half was missing anyways

IMG_6798_zpsye4pldq4.jpg

Here's the completed car. 

IMG_6802_zpsihrrbczf.jpg

IMG_6799_zpsfx6cgtbx.jpg

IMG_6801_zps3bruomd2.jpg

IMG_6800_zpsxfj5hkay.jpg

IMG_6805_zpsqkbxpuci.jpg

IMG_6803_zpsgto0g6zu.jpg

IMG_6808_zps1zpcdmro.jpg

IMG_6810_zps43l7za8k.jpg

IMG_6813_zpsigkskdmn.jpg

IMG_6816_zpsmegeisps.jpg

IMG_6807_zpsqzrw9waa.jpg

Once again, thanks for all your help. Already looking forward to the next one. All feedback and comments are welcome.

Edited by jasoncardenas21

Thats a good looking model Jason, just a couple of things and please take this is as constructive. watch out for those seam lines on the bottom of the transmission and bell housing, a quick swipe with a sanding stick takes care of those and the ignition wires are a bit overscale, but I appreciate you were probably working with what you have to hand.

All that aside if you havent built a model for 20 years the thats a nice peice of work.

I will definitely take it as more helpful information gathered from this site. Honestly, the wires are something that I truly don't like but I can live with it as a learning experience. I told my son they looked like garden hoses. I'm heading out of town this weekend, so I'll hit up a Hobby Lobby or something to get better supplies. Thanks again.

Edited by jasoncardenas21

Looks pretty darn good for your first build in 20 yrs. I just got back into building a couple years ago when DM & FM quit making diecast. I'm building to add stuff to my collection I wouldn't be able to get otherwise. This was my first build after 25+ years of being out of it so keep at it, it's only up from here lol.  

Picture595.jpg

Picture596.jpg