Model Cars Magazine Forum

SHELBY COBRA restomod >real alu dash>high gloss paint

crazyrichard

thnx , yes just a fun build got this kit in a trade .. and didnt feel like keeping it stock ..

and yes i feel you ... never saw a revell kit with such low quality ..take the 32 ford kits ..they all are high quality and great fitting .. my body was so flexed ..pffftt ..

i finally got it decent .. last minimal difference between the front's left and right i will fix when i glue it on after paint ..

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx !!

started on the interiour

dechromed the gear shift leathers made a steel shaft and round shif knob

painted the leather sack mat black

some primer on the seats

dechromed the exhaust pipes and man handled (lol) the 2 halfs together .. needs a load of work still , maybe i will scratchbuild part of the pipes ..

chassis base black

thnx  guys !

bit further > chassis dryfit

31b34cb59c9198ef94040d68df68e784.jpg

changed the dash slightly .. added a piece in the middle , a head-unit in the center ..

drilled the gauge openings more conical in the front ....and closed the center console thing on the sides with aluminium plates.. so looking under the dash it looks nice

fc109545717659cec69229af1a1389a2.jpg

shot with the still stock side pipe ..will tackle those after the interiour

8beccbfce27c3a21b34774b4d014673e.jpg

custom steering column

bd9117c16ca8a6593decf5169273886b.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx carl !!

while some stuff is painted and is drying .. drilled open the stock exhausts .. i will try to make something different but maybe if ha fails i will use these

made the headers and attached them to the heads

its cold outside and i spray in the shed or outside .. luckely still managed to get a even second coat of primer on it .. i always use rattle cans btw ..

whouw that looks great and no problem ..i dont mind :) maybe i could try some clear over the thin clear sheet ..

interiourtub is painted black .. my firs idea was creme leather ...but now with the alu black was the only option .. now i'm not sure what to do with the steering wheel i wanted to make it wood but i doubt if that looks good on the black and alu .. and just black is way to simple

very carefull dryfit ... paint is dry but not hard .. inside of the doors will be alu also later on

cut matt's

thnx tony !!

the gages are in .. pfft what a job first glued clear sheet on the back ..tryling to avoid glue marks where the gages sit ..

then got he decals off and with a drop of water put them backwards against the clear sheer .. tryling to keep them all centered.

after that put black cloth electrical tape over it so the gages where fixed ans gaps closed ..

painted the steering column chrome .. at this point its dry brushed to match the aluminum more s its less shiney now

started a base of kaky brown on the gear knob and steering wheel going to mimick wood and hope it matches with the alu ..otherwide i have to do something else

basecoat >

dryfit

thnx !

whell jus went on painted the radio black and made the knobs silver ....seats are matt now in stead of semi gloss .....really coming together ..

now i love the wooden steering wheel and gear knob .. lifts the whole interiour and makes it less monotone ..

those are not done needs someclear coat layers and the shifter shaft needs cleaning ..

color idea is to go matt grey on the body with matte black wheels and make it a bit stealth and modern looking .. but with a classis twist

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx tony !! now i had so modify some hight issues on the engine parts change a corner of the tub/firewall to clear one header .... already cleaned the inside of the airbox and did that matte black together with the top edge and some gold-ish on the carb underside and firewall painted silver .. will be drybrushed later to mimick a more metal look